My takeaway from our DL/DCA 4 day trip.

ErinsMommy

She believed she could, so she did
We stayed in club level Downtown Disney Premium View at the Disneyland Hotel.

Front desk was terribly unorganized. Check-in took over an hour because they weren't 'understanding' our requests although I had them noted on our reservation and even called about 3-4 days prior to our check-in to confirm they had them noted, which I was told yes. We received a "goodie" package later that day from a local baker and I even received a text message from the front desk while we were at the parks that they had it. Well when we got back to the hotel after our first day in the park, the front desk somehow couldn't find the package but assured us it'll be found "Monday" when a different department is back in (mind you this is Friday night). I'm like um its perishable items and we're checking out Tuesday so the point would be moot by then? Was then told they'll look for it and call me if they find it. Never got a call, so we called down and the lady on the phone "found it" but said we had to come back down to retrieve it and when we got down there was a hour long wait just to get the package.

Club offerings were mediocre at best (no chocolate milk, no chocolate chip cookies, no hard boiled eggs, only kid friendly 'snack' in the afternoon was Uncrustables). IMO wasn't worthy of the price of club for the offerings or even for the hotel frankly as we booked a downtown disney premium view and had a view of a dirt hole where they're 'expanding' the downtown disney area. The experience as a whole was a pretty big disappointment from the club service we've gotten in WDW in the past. I will say though that Robert and a young lady (forgot her name at the moment) that were working the club were great though!

As for the parks themselves, we had DAS and the passes were very helpful and allowed us to go back to the hotel here and there as needed. Although we "pre-registered" a week prior to arriving they "fell off our account" the day after we arrived and we had to stop by the green tent CMs to get it put back on, but no big deal, there were plenty of them around and when we had a problem with a ride or the pass not working, it was quickly resolved.

Food wise. Ate our first dinner at Wine Trattoria and food was just 'ok' (seasoning was weird). Our second dinner was supposed to be a Fantasmic package at River Belle but they wound up canceling Fantasmic that night so we opted to cancel our dinner reservations (we weren't charged a cancelation fee) and ate at Carnation Cafe instead and it was pretty good. Booked Storytellers for dinner another night and eh - it was also just 'ok'. I thought there were characters at dinner, but there wasn't and we were disappointed, but that was my mistake. Our last night we ate at the Blue Bayou which we were all nervous about by the reviews but we really enjoyed the atmosphere and food. We requested a water front table and waited maybe an extra half hour for a table. Pirates must've broken down at some point because we didn't see the boats anymore but we still enjoyed it.

Booked a World of Color dessert party and the show itself was incredible! Lined up about 6 pm and were about 30 people back, but still got a table with a pretty good view. The Dessert options were TERRIBLE and didn't even taste right so that went to waste. The alcohol beverages were supposedly limited to "two" per person because they didn't want people drinking and driving is what the waiter told us. But we absolutely LOVED the show.

Would we go back to Disneyland/DCA? Definitely not, but glad we went and experienced the "original park".

I'm so sorry your experience at DLH was disappointing. It just isn't its usual self with all the construction. Those lines at check in are really aggravating. I'm glad they found your package even though it took way too long.

WOC really is an amazing show, I'm glad you liked it! The water tables at Blue Bayou are always worth the wait.

Were there any rides or other things you especially enjoyed about the parks? Did you see any other night time entertainment?

I'm so sorry your experience at DLH was disappointing. It just isn't its usual self with all the construction. Those lines at check in are really aggravating. I'm glad they found your package even though it took way too long.

WOC really is an amazing show, I'm glad you liked it! The water tables at Blue Bayou are always worth the wait.

Were there any rides or other things you especially enjoyed about the parks? Did you see any other night time entertainment?

We LOVED Incredicoaster and Guardians was fun. Mr. Toad's while I heard a ton about it, it was just eh for us. All others, we rode at WDW over the years so nothing really new for us (we were madly disappointed Haunted and Matterhorn were closed, but we expected refurb and closures - just wish it wasn't those 2 rides. I will say my feet LOVED the small compact parks much more than the parks at WDW for sure though :) No other nighttime activity other than WOC and Fantasmic. We're east coasters so I struggled a bit with the time difference.

Last edited:
I’m sorry to hear this. I would definitely try coming back and maybe staying at a good neighbor hotel and doing other things besides DLR (though I agree 4 days is necessity as we did 3 and wish we had 4).

FWIW I heard the DLH is not the best to stay at. Hopefully once th e DVC units are finished and PPH is fully redone the actual hotel side of DLH will get fixed.

I’m sorry to hear this. I would definitely try coming back and maybe staying at a good neighbor hotel and doing other things besides DLR (though I agree 4 days is necessity as we did 3 and wish we had 4).

FWIW I heard the DLH is not the best to stay at. Hopefully once th e DVC units are finished and PPH is fully redone the actual hotel side of DLH will get fixed.

We'll be definitely going back to California, but will stay on the Santa Monica side and split it with San Francisco :)

I'm sorry your experience at DLH was so horrible, Honestly this is why I would never book such an expensive hotel. I know I would be disappointed no matter what. I agree with you about WCT, it was good food, but nothing special or wow, not somewhere I would go again. I much preferred River Belle and even Jazz Kitchen in DTD.

I'm sorry your experience at DLH was so horrible, Honestly this is why I would never book such an expensive hotel. I know I would be disappointed no matter what. I agree with you about WCT, it was good food, but nothing special or wow, not somewhere I would go again. I much preferred River Belle and even Jazz Kitchen in DTD.
Agreed on Jazz Kitchen! Loved it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter