My thoughts on a 3 night sailing

Prior to our 7-day Fantasy Star Wars Day at Sea last year, my husband and I had done 2 RC cruises, a 7 day and a 3 day. I swore I would never do another 3 day, but I also knew that part of my dislike was that the 3 day was on a small, worn out ship when our 7 day had been on a brand spanking new huge ship.

Now I am considering a 3 day. We are doing a Universal-only trip next year (with a WDW trip planned of later in the year), but I've been dreaming of white sand beaches so on a whim I looked at cruises and see that that the 3-day leaves just when we need it to. I am okay with this 3 day because it is on the Dream and we were on the Fantasy, so no time will be needed getting used to the ship. We will get to do all the things we loved about our 7 day. We'd been talking about a trip to the Atlantis, so that would save us a trip! A 4-day would be nicer, but doesn't leave at the appropriate time.

I agree with OP! Our first cruise was a 5 night and I swore nothing less than 7 nights going forward. Well, DS and I needed a getaway and a 3 night on the Dream fit the bill. We had an awesome time. We had planned to stay on the ship at Nassau, so that was our ship day. We met the princesses, played with Goofy, Pluto and Mickey in the kids club during OH, played mini-golf, did Midship Detective, swam, made a craft, ate, went to the pirate party and had a wonderful day. On CC, we met characters, rode bikes, swam, did Pelican Plunge, played in the sand, did a whale dig with Mickey and got back on the ship in time for more swim time. We even found time for shuffleboard and another MDA. We never missed an MDR for dinner or a show. Characters seemed to be everywhere all the time - it was great. I thought we'd be rushed or we'd miss a lot. I can't think of anything we wanted to that we missed and we never felt rushed. It was perfect for a quick getaway. I'm very glad we did it and would consider it again. The 4-nights don't make much sense to me, though. I would appreciate the sea day, but if I have to miss a week of work, I'd rather take a 7 night cruise. If only the 4-night cruises wrapped around a weekend....

I enjoy any length of cruise. My DH and I even did a 2 night out of NYC in 2012 and had a blast!

We are a family of 5, so due to cost of a cruise we have done two 3 night. The last one was late August and we were able to sail Concierge for the first time for under $3500 for 5. It was fantastic.

DH and I are sailing onc again out of NYC this fall on a 4 night. Dreaming of a 7 night or longer in the near future.

Glad you had a nice time with your family on the 3 night.

This makes me happy to read. Our first cruise will be 3 nights. I originally planned our first cruise for next year but then I decided I didn't want to wait! I switched this year's quick wdw trip for the cruise. The 3 night fit into the dates we already bought airfare for.

I still plan to do one next year, either a 4 or 7 night.

This makes me happy to read. Our first cruise will be 3 nights. I originally planned our first cruise for next year but then I decided I didn't want to wait! I switched this year's quick wdw trip for the cruise. The 3 night fit into the dates we already bought airfare for.

I still plan to do one next year, either a 4 or 7 night.

I'm sure y'all will have a blast! One thing I didn't mention is we always travel at least one day pre cruise so to get the Disney magic going early we spent the night before at a Disney resort and then had a character breakfast the next morning on the way to the port. Might be something else to consider if you can to get even more out of it :)

I'm sure y'all will have a blast! One thing I didn't mention is we always travel at least one day pre cruise so to get the Disney magic going early we spent the night before at a Disney resort and then had a character breakfast the next morning on the way to the port. Might be something else to consider if you can to get even more out of it :)

We have a day at Disney after the cruise

I agree with OP! Our first cruise was a 5 night and I swore nothing less than 7 nights going forward. Well, DS and I needed a getaway and a 3 night on the Dream fit the bill. We had an awesome time. We had planned to stay on the ship at Nassau, so that was our ship day. We met the princesses, played with Goofy, Pluto and Mickey in the kids club during OH, played mini-golf, did Midship Detective, swam, made a craft, ate, went to the pirate party and had a wonderful day. On CC, we met characters, rode bikes, swam, did Pelican Plunge, played in the sand, did a whale dig with Mickey and got back on the ship in time for more swim time. We even found time for shuffleboard and another MDA. We never missed an MDR for dinner or a show. Characters seemed to be everywhere all the time - it was great. I thought we'd be rushed or we'd miss a lot. I can't think of anything we wanted to that we missed and we never felt rushed. It was perfect for a quick getaway. I'm very glad we did it and would consider it again. The 4-nights don't make much sense to me, though. I would appreciate the sea day, but if I have to miss a week of work, I'd rather take a 7 night cruise. If only the 4-night cruises wrapped around a weekend....

We are doing a four night with a visit to KSC before and possibly one night in Disney Springs after. It is perfect for a first cruise and a weeklong trip for us. With the travel time, a seven night is a bit harder to fit into the schedule. This one will work perfectly for our spring break next year!

I really encourage anyone thinking of doing a 3 night to give it a try and not be discouraged if that is all time/finances/family/etc. allow at the time. I really think it is worth it and doubt you will be disappointed :)

Quick question. We are doing a 3-night later this year. Is there still a pirate night, and if so, does that mean we'll miss one of the MDR regular menus, and which night was it? Thanks!

Quick question. We are doing a 3-night later this year. Is there still a pirate night, and if so, does that mean we'll miss one of the MDR regular menus, and which night was it? Thanks!

Yes, there is still Pirate night but you will not have a pirate menu. We had the regular menu in each of the 3 restaurants but other Pirate festivities go on as normal. It was held on the second night which was our Nassau day.

Thank you for posting! We will be taking our first 3 day in a few months, this after only doing 7s previously. I keep thinking that it won't be as awesome, but as many here have pointed out, 3 days cruising is better than 3 days at home! We can make this as amazing as we want.

Thank you for posting! We will be taking our first 3 day in a few months, this after only doing 7s previously. I keep thinking that it won't be as awesome, but as many here have pointed out, 3 days cruising is better than 3 days at home! We can make this as amazing as we want.

It will go by a little bit faster but it will be just as awesome. ;)

Last Fall, DH and I did my first DCL trip. Few days of Food/Wine at Epcot, then off on the Dream for a 3 night Halloween cruise. Absolutely amazing! We splurged for the concierge and truly enjoyed every second of the trip (even the lightning storm since it was the week before the hurricane!).

Going on a 3 night on the Fantasy in May (double dip) for DH's bday. Added a few days at WDW after the trip. 3 night cruises truly work for our schedule the best and since it's a shorter trip, we don't mind splurging for things like concierge or Palo/Remy. This next trip, I think the Castaway double dip will make the trip seem a little longer since it's two beach/island days as opposed to one Nassau and one beach day like normal.

We have done a number of three nights as we live in Orlando and can run to the port and back very easily. I agree that 3 nights is better than no cruise but there is so much to do and see the time does go by very quickly!

Great post. Our first cruise was a 3 night on the Dream and it was good introduction to cruising. We went knowing we would not do everything so we felt very relaxed. In fact my daughter said it felt like a longer cruise because we enjoyed every moment.

Perfect timing on your post! I am glad you enjoyed your cruise. I have a placeholder and haven't been sure what to do with it. When it was announced this week that Beauty & The Beast (live show, not the movie) would be on the Dream starting in November I starting checking out the Dream. It looks like it will work perfectly with my daughter's short break in November AND we'll have a day at WDW!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter