• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My thoughts on this years end of Aug /Labor Day crowds.

mousefan73

Germans are faster at dubbing
So we just got back from a 9 night split stay at POR and BC. Seen many Labor Day crowd threads asking how this weekend is and here are my comments.

1. We have gone the past 5 years from with our trips being on or about the dates of Aug 27 and Sept 8th. Labor Day always fell on these dates. We do a FD but this year first half FD at POR and 3 nights at BC RO.

2. We have noticed a SIGNIFICANT increase in crowds compared to our first and second year... These were the years were for ex. the Mountains were 20 minute wait all day to walk ons at night.

3. Keep in mind many foreigners are there. Our SA friends and alot of brits. Intl. airlines have increased their capacity from Europe with non-stops to MCO... Package deals for 2 weeks.

4. On an average the open spaces, lines for parades, lines for restrooms, foods etc... were non-existent or short. No big crowds to get from A to B.. Everyone had their bubble space... I can see this being a big difference / benefit over a trip during the holidays or spring break. I noticed not all QS, snack stands were open due to lack of need. Sure the parks at times might seem empty.. But rides are a different story.. More below.

4. Especially last year and this year. Ride times for Key attractions were steady at 45 minutes. Maybe I am spoiled but a 40 -45 minute wait for Splash Mountain is too long.. I miss the days of seeing regularly 15 or 20 minutes. These times did exist this year, but sporaticially. I did notice that on the 7th during EMH , the wait time was only 5 or 10 minutes.. First time in our entire trip.

5. This year I thought one reason that MK had IMO, long lines for everything.. ( Buzz 30 minutes !!) is the fact that BMRR and IASM were not running. These two large rides had to have some influence.

6. AK for us the least crowded park concerning rides. Everest about 20 minutes standby or 30... Not bad when you saw over at EP and MK lines for key rides were 90 minutes.

7. Epcot: ride lines for TT and Soarin were long.. though Soaring had some moments where I saw 20 minutes. TT single rider was our saviour.... But this is weather influenced too. Also we saw wait times for Spaceship Earth during the day at times for 25 minutes.. ODD this ride NEVER had times more than 10. Frozen had times of over 2 hrs at times.. IMO felt bad for those who waited for this... As a side note.. we had FPs a few more times..and my DD age 10 said she didnt want to walk over to Norway to use them.. For her not worth it.. TT was more her thing.. but she loves Frozen... Just shows how disappointing this ride is.

8. Hurricane may have caused a few locals not to come, but even August 30-01Sept... MK was packed with poncho wearing crowds... and it poured one day ( Tornado warning anyone!). BUT we got lucky... WPs were closed due to weather on the 1st.. but on the 2nd onyl TL was open.. We went and it was DEAD.. but AWESOME.. walk-ons for everything. We did the shark thing 3x in a row, no waiting. My thought was wet is wet... so the little rain in the AM didnt bother us.

9. Labor Day.. We did Epcot but evening only as this was our move day to BC and we looooved SAB. Evening FPs saved us a long wait for Soaring ( 45 minutes) and for Frozen ( dont ask how long).. I had heard that MK was packed... if we continue these trips. Honestly I might plan that Labor Day weekend for more resort time, dining, shows, or shopping... use my FPs and not have more expectations for repeat riding.. We have this luxury as we dont have that "this is our once in a lifetime trip, in 4 days and need to ride everything"... we can then do the repeat ride thing on days before or after labor day.

10. MNSSHP was just too crowded for us.. We did this 3 years ago and it was dead.. This first party for us was packed.. Lines for candy etc.. our memories had no lines for the first party.. I wonder if locals now go earlier in september to save money with the new tier pricing.. for a large family this can make a difference.

In a nutshell.. Labor Day is still not that bad, but the good old days of repeat riding top attractions are over.. You still get this. but very late at night ( or first AM). Weather can be a challange.. Last year was hurrican threat.. this year we had side affects...

One last thought... Normally we sweat like pigs during this time.. Hotter and humid like the surface of the sun.. Only noticed this yesterday in EP on our last day.. I must say, the heat was not so bad this year!! I think the hurricane helped this.. I recall in the pasteven in EP at night, eating outside was just too humid for me.. During the day, don't even think of it!! We were able to eat and snack outside at times. Tuesday evening at EP we sat outside for a long time in GB for dinner Fish and Chips on the waterfront. I was awesome. I didnt want to move.... In the past, the evenring heat and humiditiy wouldnt allow that. Also AK for us was a real issue with heat in the past.. We went on 01Sep, .. it rained later, but we were not miserabley hot.. which we usually are!!!.. So maybe Hermione was kind to us.

Years and years of the summer being too crowded and sites like this (and crowd calendars) telling everyone that Labor Day weekend (or end of January) .. etc. being the "slow" time has just made those times just as crowded as else. No "slow" time anymore it seems.

Better discounts at this time of year, plus moving the Halloween party up to the first few days of Sept (which is just silly) doesn't help.

I went last year August 26-30th (and that was a LATE labor day) and I found the crowds better than early October.

But the reason I went was because it was supposedly a "slow" time and because of huge room discounts being offered for that time. I got Pop Century for what I thought was a reasonable price (like $80/night) .. so I was pushed to those dates for the exact reasons .. and thus I made it more crowded :).

So we just got back from a 9 night split stay at POR and BC. Seen many Labor Day crowd threads asking how this weekend is and here are my comments.

1. We have gone the past 5 years from with our trips being on or about the dates of Aug 27 and Sept 8th. Labor Day always fell on these dates. We do a FD but this year first half FD at POR and 3 nights at BC RO.

2. We have noticed a SIGNIFICANT increase in crowds compared to our first and second year... These were the years were for ex. the Mountains were 20 minute wait all day to walk ons at night.

3. Keep in mind many foreigners are there. Our SA friends and alot of brits. Intl. airlines have increased their capacity from Europe with non-stops to MCO... Package deals for 2 weeks.

4. On an average the open spaces, lines for parades, lines for restrooms, foods etc... were non-existent or short. No big crowds to get from A to B.. Everyone had their bubble space... I can see this being a big difference / benefit over a trip during the holidays or spring break. I noticed not all QS, snack stands were open due to lack of need. Sure the parks at times might seem empty.. But rides are a different story.. More below.

4. Especially last year and this year. Ride times for Key attractions were steady at 45 minutes. Maybe I am spoiled but a 40 -45 minute wait for Splash Mountain is too long.. I miss the days of seeing regularly 15 or 20 minutes. These times did exist this year, but sporaticially. I did notice that on the 7th during EMH , the wait time was only 5 or 10 minutes.. First time in our entire trip.

5. This year I thought one reason that MK had IMO, long lines for everything.. ( Buzz 30 minutes !!) is the fact that BMRR and IASM were not running. These two large rides had to have some influence.

6. AK for us the least crowded park concerning rides. Everest about 20 minutes standby or 30... Not bad when you saw over at EP and MK lines for key rides were 90 minutes.

7. Epcot: ride lines for TT and Soarin were long.. though Soaring had some moments where I saw 20 minutes. TT single rider was our saviour.... But this is weather influenced too. Also we saw wait times for Spaceship Earth during the day at times for 25 minutes.. ODD this ride NEVER had times more than 10. Frozen had times of over 2 hrs at times.. IMO felt bad for those who waited for this... As a side note.. we had FPs a few more times..and my DD age 10 said she didnt want to walk over to Norway to use them.. For her not worth it.. TT was more her thing.. but she loves Frozen... Just shows how disappointing this ride is.

8. Hurricane may have caused a few locals not to come, but even August 30-01Sept... MK was packed with poncho wearing crowds... and it poured one day ( Tornado warning anyone!). BUT we got lucky... WPs were closed due to weather on the 1st.. but on the 2nd onyl TL was open.. We went and it was DEAD.. but AWESOME.. walk-ons for everything. We did the shark thing 3x in a row, no waiting. My thought was wet is wet... so the little rain in the AM didnt bother us.

9. Labor Day.. We did Epcot but evening only as this was our move day to BC and we looooved SAB. Evening FPs saved us a long wait for Soaring ( 45 minutes) and for Frozen ( dont ask how long).. I had heard that MK was packed... if we continue these trips. Honestly I might plan that Labor Day weekend for more resort time, dining, shows, or shopping... use my FPs and not have more expectations for repeat riding.. We have this luxury as we dont have that "this is our once in a lifetime trip, in 4 days and need to ride everything"... we can then do the repeat ride thing on days before or after labor day.

10. MNSSHP was just too crowded for us.. We did this 3 years ago and it was dead.. This first party for us was packed.. Lines for candy etc.. our memories had no lines for the first party.. I wonder if locals now go earlier in september to save money with the new tier pricing.. for a large family this can make a difference.

In a nutshell.. Labor Day is still not that bad, but the good old days of repeat riding top attractions are over.. You still get this. but very late at night ( or first AM). Weather can be a challange.. Last year was hurrican threat.. this year we had side affects...

One last thought... Normally we sweat like pigs during this time.. Hotter and humid like the surface of the sun.. Only noticed this yesterday in EP on our last day.. I must say, the heat was not so bad this year!! I think the hurricane helped this.. I recall in the pasteven in EP at night, eating outside was just too humid for me.. During the day, don't even think of it!! We were able to eat and snack outside at times. Tuesday evening at EP we sat outside for a long time in GB for dinner Fish and Chips on the waterfront. I was awesome. I didnt want to move.... In the past, the evenring heat and humiditiy wouldnt allow that. Also AK for us was a real issue with heat in the past.. We went on 01Sep, .. it rained later, but we were not miserabley hot.. which we usually are!!!.. So maybe Hermione was kind to us.

So it's not really crowded, but there are big lines at attractions and you've noticed this the past three years?
Here is your answer. Fp+.

So it's not really crowded, but there are big lines at attractions and you've noticed this the past three years?
Here is your answer. Fp+.
That's a very good point. Best example is over at Hollywood studios the great movie ride we wanted to ride standby but the lines never went down to 30 minutes. Also the afternoon storms which shut down outdoor attractions and those people who have fast passes during those times would be reissued anytime fast pass so the obvious chain reaction is that when the ride to reopen you have masses a fast pass riders.
concerning over all crowd levels Labor Day weekend even from basic crowd levels people walking about, we noticed also significant higher than in the past.

The only thing for us that was completely dead was SAB. As soon as Labor Day was over the next day I think there were maybe 50 people in the pool so you had rows and rows of empty lounges which according to lifeguard never really happens.

FP+ has also had a dramatic effect at rides that typically saw lower peak waits during the day. I'm sure that factors into some of the wait times you saw during your trip.

Was at WDW from Aug 27th through Sept 3rd. I thought the crowds were quite decent nearly the entire time. The only rides outside of MK that had really bad lines that I noticed were Frozen and Test Track. Used FP+ to get on Frozen and made it back to Epcot a second day to do TT.

I was also at AK on Sept 1st, it was humid but the clouds definitely made it more manageable! Definitely agree that it wasn't as bad heat-wise as I had feared, a reasonable trade-off for the rain that we experienced.

We also were there end of Aug(24th) to Labor Day with other years of experience. All I can say is FP+ is working well for Disney, keeping wait times highish while employing less staff and saving big bucks. Also making the little kids fingerprint to stop potential fraud and getting rid of NE tickets made me feel like prey to every last dollar. It just felt so different because I loved maximizing the experience but I just can't do that anymore. We each left with 1-2 days theme park tickets, just at a point where we weren't getting any good return on our time do deal with the hassle and do the same old stuff.

Universal was awesome this trip! Happy to pass the low crowds and time saving our way!

I don't think there's any benefit to visiting at slower times. Sad to say it but FP+ has allowed Disney to keep every day at a crowd level of "7".

Our late August trip (24-29) was so much better in terms of crowds compared to our early November (week of the 5th, maybe it was Jersey week? I'm from MN so I have no idea...) last year. I'd take the heat and humidity over those crowds anytime. Yes, early mornings and late nights are beneficial always. Take a mid-day nap! One thing that's easy to do staying on property.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter