My Trip to the 2013 D23 Expo - That's a Wrap!

franandaj

I'm so happy, I could BOUNCE!

Well here we are again, can you believe it? It has been two years since the last D23 Expo, and it almost feels like I was just there!

If you haven’t followed along with me before, let me introduce myself. My name is Alison and I’m a certified Disney nut! Here I am at the first D23 Expo in 2009.

And this is me with my partner Fran

We also attended the 2011 Expo. We didn’t take many self photos and didn’t get any of the two of us together. But here we are the 2011 Expo.

Those of you who have followed me before know that we love to shop. At the last Expo, we were introduced to these pictures. We were able to purchase two of them at the Expo (and get that ever popular discount). We have since completed the set of four in the last couple months

I had pre ordered a necklace, I felt rather awkward as when I mentioned that I was there to pick it up, they got really excited. Evidently I was the only one to pre order this necklace. It is now on sale in the parks for 1/3 higher than I paid (less AP discount), so I’m glad I got it in advance.

Turns out they had these rings on display and obviously I liked them enough to take a picture of them. We didn’t buy them at the Expo, but the last time the Disney Store online had a 25% discount sale, we actually bought ourselves at set. I’ll have to remember to wear them at the Expo. I don’t wear them around the house or for my normal house refurbishment jobs.

Based on the advance schedule, I put together this hopeful itinerary for us in 2011. Unfortunately due to the crowds and stuff we didn’t get to half of the things we wanted to do.

The first morning lines were like this.

We had Premiere passes and still had to wait quite a bit. We missed out on getting into the Sorcerer’s passes because we were stupid and forgot to register until later in the day. This time we didn’t miss a beat, we were both at our computers right at registration time and were pleased to find that we could order two passes from one account. Both of us tried and I was the one who got through first, who knows, faster computer, luck of the draw?

For whatever reason though, we were able to get in. They have streamlined the process a little. Evidently the first few people got right in but our registration went like this, we were placed on a waitlist and then D23 got back to us in order I suppose of when you were put on the waitlist. We had 24 hours to confirm that we wanted the registration and then they billed our credit card. I supposed that they implemented this so that way they don’t inadvertently overbook the package.

I understand that this year they have more Sorcerers then last time by about 150% or more, so I imagine that there will be a lot more people to receive glaring looks as we bypass the main queues and enter the theaters. I am glad that Fran is feeling better enough that she will be able to transfer out of her scooter and into a regular seat. That means that I can go reserve us the seats while she parks her chair. I hope that somehow we can accommodate my scooter, because while she has improved in her mobility, I have declined. Hopefully my ability to get us seats will not be hampered by the lack of performance by my knees.

Anyways we have 10 days to go until the Expo begins. It seems that the Sorcerer’s start their day Thursday morning at 9AM. Originally we had booked the Hilton for Thursday through Monday, but since Fran and I don’t do mornings so well, we added Wednesday night to our stay (thank you Hilton Honors points!) so that we can be at the Convention Center bright and early Thursday morning.

The Sorcerer Package includes:
  • Three-day admission ticket
  • Reserved seating at all presentations in the D23 Arena and Stage 23
  • Commemorative Sorcerer credential
  • Pre-Expo tour of the Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives exhibit
  • Exclusive shopping time in the D23 Expo Dream Store and the Treasure Trove the day before the Expo is open to guests
  • First opportunity to purchase D23 Expo Dream Store merchandise via the Random Selection Process (RSP)*
  • Exclusive tour of the D23 Expo show floor the day before the Expo is open to the public
  • Private welcome reception
  • Special entrance to the Expo each morning
  • Hardbound Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives catalog
  • Hardbound Disney Legends ceremony commemorative program
  • Exclusive D23 Expo 2013 tote bag filled with gifts
  • “Fond Farewell” reception on final day of Expo
In addition, Sorcerer-level members have access to the Sorcerer Member Lounge featuring:
  • Complimentary light snacks throughout the day with ability to purchase additional food
  • Special exhibit created by the Walt Disney Archives
  • Dedicated Sorcerer Concierge desk
  • Baggage Check area
  • Masseur on site (for pay)
  • One voucher for 20-minute free massage

I hear via the Sorcerer’s FB page that they have added reserved seating in Stage 28 in addition to Stage 23 and the Arena. I imagine we will spend Thursday doing our Treasure Trove and Pre Expo Dream store shopping (we did that in the afternoon as Premiere attendees last time), plus our advance tour of the Walk Disney Archives exhibit, the tour of the show floor and our Welcome reception. They will probably keep us busy.

The show opens on Friday, August 9 and they have supposedly released the full schedule. Other Sorcerers received an email from D23 inviting them to select the presentations that they would like to have reserved seating. I have not received such an email, so I have emailed D23 back with no response. I’m not expecting one. Supposedly we can make changes up until the Thursday (that’s probably Disney’s CYA for people like me who didn’t get the email.)

That’s all I have for now! We’re a little over a week away from the beginning, so let the planning begin!

Nice to see that you start your pre-trip repot thread for the upcoming D23 Expo event next week. Can't believe we are only 10 days away till the D23 Expo. I am so excited for you and Fran that you are able to get the Sorcerer's passes this year. This is the 3rd D23 Expo and they have been amazing. I still remember the first one in 2009 where it was amazing where it was a four day event. It would have been nice if they had the four day event instead of the 3 days event from 2011 and this year.

We all can't wait to get to next week for the D23 expo and to see all the different pavilions, stores, and the venues. I am still having trouble of what showings and events to do and see during each day.

I'm here :) now must read the intro.

As usual it sounds fantastic. One of these years I MUST get to one of these. The sorcerer package definitely seems worth it.

The Sorcerer package sounds amazing! You get so much! Omg this is going to be so much fun and so interesting I am so thrilled for you both. Love the storm trooper photo I am such a Star Wars fan. I love sci fi :-) I am a geek! Love the necklace and the rings! Every girls dream! I am lethal in jewellery shops. DW has banned me from Tiffany's and the middle of the World of Disney where the rings etc are lol.

But I am so jealous.....so jealous...on the Friday 9th August at 12:15 ...I am shaking typing this....Paige O'Hara is going to be there! Oh yes Alison and Fran...the Paige O'Hara you see right now she is my favourite artist and I just would love love love to have one of her amazing paintings of Belle. Omg omg omg...

I would love to meet her and buy a piece of her art! She is such a talent! not only voice and stage but her art! If you see her touch her for me...if I did I would never wash my hand again lol..it says she is in the Disney Dream store but doesn't say if she is displaying her amazing paintings.

What a line up though! You two are just going to have such a well deserved time and what is lovely about you two is you are generous enough to take us with you in your amazing TR!

I love your pictures you got that look like they are in the style from the haunted mansion. We collect disney art where we can. My dream is to own a Paige O'hara and a Peter Max.

I hope you manage your scooter ok. Your poor knees! That must be so painful but good that Fran is a bit more mobile. Maybe they should design a scooter for two a cute one like a harley motorbike with a side car!

I'm in!

Jill in CO

:welcome: Thanks for following along!

Nice to see that you start your pre-trip repot thread for the upcoming D23 Expo event next week. Can't believe we are only 10 days away till the D23 Expo. I am so excited for you and Fran that you are able to get the Sorcerer's passes this year. This is the 3rd D23 Expo and they have been amazing. I still remember the first one in 2009 where it was amazing where it was a four day event. It would have been nice if they had the four day event instead of the 3 days event from 2011 and this year.

We all can't wait to get to next week for the D23 expo and to see all the different pavilions, stores, and the venues. I am still having trouble of what showings and events to do and see during each day.

It will be nice to see you again at the Expo Bret! The last one was so much fun! I am looking forward to the Sorcerer package and have already begun planning my itinerary!

YES take me with you Alison & Fran I'm so ready for this you have NO idea !!:goodvibes

:welcome: I hope you enjoy this report and are able to experience the Expo vicariously through my trip report.

Love the D23 reports. :thumbsup2

:welcome: :goodvibes

I can't wait to read all about this.

Corinna

:welcome: I can't wait to tell everyone about this!

Following along! :goodvibes

:welcome: I'm glad you're here for the ride!

I'm here :) now must read the intro.

As usual it sounds fantastic. One of these years I MUST get to one of these. The sorcerer package definitely seems worth it.

You really must get to one of these! They are announced over a year in advance so there is plenty of time for planning!

The Sorcerer's package looks great!

I'm sorry you're having knee issues. :(

The Sorcerer's package is awesome, last time we spent probably 8 hours or more in line and that was with the Premiere passes. Hopefully this time we can attend many things. Already though we have to make some difficult choices, there are things back to back where we would like to do both.

I'm here!

:welcome: Thanks for following along.

I'm here to follow along, too!

:welcome: :goodvibes

The Sorcerer package sounds amazing! You get so much! Omg this is going to be so much fun and so interesting I am so thrilled for you both. Love the storm trooper photo I am such a Star Wars fan. I love sci fi :-) I am a geek! Love the necklace and the rings! Every girls dream! I am lethal in jewellery shops. DW has banned me from Tiffany's and the middle of the World of Disney where the rings etc are lol.

But I am so jealous.....so jealous...on the Friday 9th August at 12:15 ...I am shaking typing this....Paige O'Hara is going to be there! Oh yes Alison and Fran...the Paige O'Hara you see right now she is my favourite artist and I just would love love love to have one of her amazing paintings of Belle. Omg omg omg...

I would love to meet her and buy a piece of her art! She is such a talent! not only voice and stage but her art! If you see her touch her for me...if I did I would never wash my hand again lol..it says she is in the Disney Dream store but doesn't say if she is displaying her amazing paintings.

What a line up though! You two are just going to have such a well deserved time and what is lovely about you two is you are generous enough to take us with you in your amazing TR!

I love your pictures you got that look like they are in the style from the haunted mansion. We collect disney art where we can. My dream is to own a Paige O'hara and a Peter Max.

I hope you manage your scooter ok. Your poor knees! That must be so painful but good that Fran is a bit more mobile. Maybe they should design a scooter for two a cute one like a harley motorbike with a side car!

I'm pretty sure that Paige O'Hara was one of the Legends that they honored last time and she was there to sign autographs. I'm not one of those folks who gets excited about meeting people, but that's why an event like this is so awesome! There is so much going on that everyone can find something to make the experience worth their while.

We loved those HM stretching room pictures! I hope we can put them on display some day. Hopefully my knees will do OK. I have all sorts of creams and salves to help ease the pain!

Only one week until the day we check into the Hilton!

Cool! Maybe you can put those pictures in your HM movie room!

I want to join d23 but I don't know what membership to get. I was waiting as I thought we were going to get dvc free membership but not sure we did in the end. What do you two have?

Cool! Maybe you can put those pictures in your HM movie room!

I want to join d23 but I don't know what membership to get. I was waiting as I thought we were going to get dvc free membership but not sure we did in the end. What do you two have?

Fran isn't sure the new house has a room big enough for a HM movie room. She says we have to add another story. Problem is we may not have the funds to do that. So we are stuck for a while.

She has the full membership and is a charter Member. I have the next level down. Not free but they don't send the magazine to me, just her.

Fran isn't sure the new house has a room big enough for a HM movie room. She says we have to add another story. Problem is we may not have the funds to do that. So we are stuck for a while.

She has the full membership and is a charter Member. I have the next level down. Not free but they don't send the magazine to me, just her.

Ok thanks! Shame re HM movie room. I joined the free d23 but don't understand how to sign in. Maybe they send it to you later!

I want to go to expo too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter