My very first pre-trip report!

teedee

DIS Veteran
Hello All, and welcome to my very first pre-trip report. After avidly reading trip reports on the DIS boards for a while now, I decided to take a shot at writing my own.

The Cast: Me, Terri. Well that was easy wasn’t it! This will be my first solo, or actually partially solo trip to the world. My favorite cousin Deb will be joining me half way into this trip. So here’s a little bit about us:

Terri: A 52 year old retired project manager for a plastics company, living just south of Atlanta, GA. Retirement was forced upon me as my job was eliminated, but luckily I had 30 years in with the company, so I got to take early retirement instead of having to try and find another job. Ever since I was a little girl I loved watching the Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday nights especially when they had episodes about Disneyland. I taped a bunch of the shows when the Disney Channel was showing them late at night, but lost them in my last move. I keep hoping they will start showing them again, but I haven’t found them so far. That show turned me into a total Disneyholic. I love everything Disney, and it’s definitely my favorite spot for vacations. Something most of my friends & family don’t really understand, I’ve been told at my age I should be over Disney, but I don’t have any plans to grow up or ever get over Disney!

My first trip to DW was when my DD was 6, she’s 33 now, I just don’t know how that happened:confused3, seems like it was just yesterday when we were getting ready for our first trip. She’s now a mom of a beautiful 2 year old boy, Carter(my avatar), who is the light of my life and who we’ll be taking next June for his first trip. He already seems to have the Disney spirit, he loves all the Disney movies, just like his nana.

Deb: My cousin, who will be joining me mid-trip, she’s like me, a total Disneyholic and is lucky enough to live in Florida, so it’s a lot easier for her to make the trip. She worked in the Magic Kingdom for a few years while she was in college at the Sunshine Tree Terrace (I think that’s what it was called). She’s now in South Florida, so trips to Disney are a great way for us to spend some time together.

My last Disney vacation was back in March when they were having the $200 free gift card promotion. Deb was able to join me for that whole week, and we had a wonderful time. I’ve been many times, but never around Christmas, and always wanted to so I decided why not. Put in a call to Deb and she was all for it, but could only get half the week off from work.

So the planning began: first up, where to stay. This one was kind of easy. POFQ is my very, very favorite Disney resort. I think it’s beautiful, and I love the smaller size. At one point I was trying to stay in every Disney resort. So far I’ve stayed at Caribbean Beach, Beach Club, Wilderness Lodge, Coronado Springs, Pop Century, All Star Music, All Star Sports and Port Orleans French Quarter. My urge to stay at all the resorts was greatly reduced the first time I stayed at POFQ, I just fell in love with it and try to stay there every time. Sometimes budget restrictions have had me booking a value resort, and I’ve always enjoyed them too, but POFQ just seems like home to me.

Now that the resort was chosen we had to decide when to go. I wanted to be there when the parks were decorated for Christmas, but not too close to the actual holiday when the parks are so crowded. I decided on Dec 5 – 12. When I first booked they weren’t offering the free dining plan, but I decided to keep an eye out in case they extended it. Well, lucky for us they did extend it until Dec 17 so one call to Disney reservations and we now have free dining! Score!!! :woohoo:I was a happy camper, the price was still the same and now our food is paid for. Now I just had to wait until I could start making ADR’s. Which happens………

Today!!

I’ve been going to Disney.com to check and see if park hours were published yet for the past few days and finally they all are. Now I can plan which parks on which days, and start deciding on where to eat.

One of my plans for this trip is to try restaurants I haven’t tried before. Because of the free dining, I won’t be upset if I don’t love everything I try. I’m not that hard to please so I really don’t think it will be a problem.

My first day at Disney is always at the Magic Kingdom, so I started looking at sit down restaurants there and realized I’ve definitely been there and done that, so I branched out to restaurants at the resorts on the monorail. I finally decided on the Kona Café. The menu sounds good to me, several things I like and it will be a chance for me to try a lapu lapu. I’ve always wanted to have one of them, they sound yummy. Since today is the day I can start making ressies, I got up early and went online to try my luck. I was amazed that I couldn’t get my first choices for times, good grief, it’s 6:00am on the first day reservations can be made! I was able to get an 8:10pm dining time. A little later than I wanted, but it will be fine. The park is open until 11pm that night and hopefully I’ll have time to go back for the parade and fireworks after dinner.

Wow, my first ADR made, it makes the trip more real to me.

If anyone has any suggestions for restaurants to try, please let me know. I’m open to everything.

Coming up: How the heck am I getting there?

Hi, I just found your PTR and i'm really excited to read your plans... we haven't been to Kona Cafe but i'm to make it out there in December.. i heard it's amazing!! I'm sub'..popcorn::

Hi, I just found your PTR and i'm really excited to read your plans... we haven't been to Kona Cafe but i'm to make it out there in December.. i heard it's amazing!! I'm sub'..popcorn::

I've only heard good things about the Kona Cafe, I'm really looking forward to it. When in December are you going?

Terri

Hey I'm doing my first PTR too! :)

So you mentioned trying new restaurants, which ones do you have in mind? I really wanted to try Boma this trip but it just isn't fitting in the plans. We'll just have to go there on a FUTURE trip. ;-)

Oh and good luck getting all the ADRs you want!

Hey I'm doing my first PTR too! :)

So you mentioned trying new restaurants, which ones do you have in mind? I really wanted to try Boma this trip but it just isn't fitting in the plans. We'll just have to go there on a FUTURE trip. ;-)

Oh and good luck getting all the ADRs you want!

I'll have to go read your PTR. The restaurants I'm considering for this trip are Yak & Yeti at AK, Rose & Crown and Biergarden at Epcot and Mama Melrose's at DHS. We ate at Boma on our March trip and really liked it. That's one of the few I'm planning on doing again on this trip.

Terri

Well the plan was to be up early this morning and make another ADR for Sci Fi at DHS. I'm really obsessed with getting these ADR's right at 90 days out because last trip I waited too long and didn't get into some of the places that I really wanted to try. Unfortunately my plan was thwarted by this:

HPIM0009.jpg

Duchess, my very much loved Boston Terrier. She developed a ring worm, which by the way is not a worm at all but a virus. Anyway, I had to dip her in a sulfer lime dip I got from her vet. I was told it didn't smell too bad, but they lied! :eek: I thought the smell would start to wear off, but when we went to bed she was still smelling very bad! Duchess sleeps with me and has been for the 9 years we've been together so I wasn't going to throw her out of the bed. Finally around 1am I couldn't stand it anymore so I got up and gave her a bath in some better smelling shampoo. The yucky lime dip smell was still there a little, but not too bad. We finally got to sleep around 2:30am, so there was no getting up early for me this morning.

Luckily I didn't have any problems getting a ressie at Sci Fi for Sunday Dec 6. Now I'm 2 for 2!:cool1: This being obsessive thing is working so far. I know a lot of folks don't care for Sci Fi, but I thought it would be a good choice for someone going solo. I'll have something to look at during dinner.

So that's the plan so far, Saturday and Sunday are covered. If I can find a pic of me that I don't hate I'll post it later. I'm off to read Daughterofthe king's PTR.

Now that Duchess doesn't smell so bad I'm back on track and up early to make another ADR. I really like being able to do it online, it is so much more convenient, at least to me. Anyway, I'm up to day 3, Monday Dec 7. The plan is to sleep in a little, go to Downtown Disney to shop and look around, having lunch at either Wolfgang Puck Express or Earl of Sandwich. The afternoon and evening will be at the Magic Kingdom for EMH. I got an ADR for Liberty Tree Tavern wth no problems, it's another place I've always wanted to try.

I did find a pic of Deb and I that isn't horrible. I usually don't like photos of me, but this one isn't too bad. I'm the tall one on the right. If anyone here is going to be there Dec 5 - 12 and sees us please come up and say hello.

Here we are:

P3050246.jpg
COLOR]

It doesn't seem like anybody is interested in this, but I'm going to carry on, for awhile at least. Today's plan is to make dinner ressies for Tuesday the 8th, I was able to get exactly what I wanted, the Biergarten at Epcot. Another new restaurant for me. And another place that I think will be solo traveler friendly. This will be the last time I have to worry about being solo, Deb will be joining me on Wednesday for the rest of the week.

When I was at DW back in March I grabbed a few sets of park maps, I was going to post on the DIS boards and send them to anyone who wanted them, but never got around to it. So if anyone out there would like a set send me a PM with an address (work address would probably be best, I know I would be hesitant to put my home address on the internet) to send them to and I'll get them out.

Terri

Hi there :wave: Count me in popcorn:: We are taking our first december trip this year too :woohoo: I can't wait to read all about your plans and what you are looking forward too :goodvibes

We've never stayed at Port Orleans, but it does look very pretty!!
I'm glad that you managed to get free dining aswell, hope you'll be doing a report when you get home full of photos for us to drool over :laughing:

We havent tried a Lapu Lapu either but its on our must do list for this trip, we are eating at Ohana one night so guess what the first thing i'll be ordering is :laughing: We love, ok, have an obsession with cocktails :love:

Awww poor duchess, hope she is ok now? She's so cute!!

We've never eaten at SciFi but thats on our must do list aswell, it looks so cool in there - cant wait to go!! We've booked LTT for our emh night too, hmmmm ... are we twins?? :laughing: We ate there on our first trip during MNSSHP, the dinner was mmm mmm mmm - I became obsessed with the meat, more more more! :laughing:

Cant wait to read more of your plans :hug:

Duchess is doing and smelling much better. She has to be dipped 2 more times, neither of us is looking forward to that!

I am so excited about this vacation, it can't come fast enough for me. I know the parks are going to be beautiful with all the Christmas decorations. I'm going to try and fit in a trip to the different resorts to see how they are decorated, but I don't know if I'll be able to do it.

We stayed at the WL a few years ago and really liked it. It's my second favorite resort after POFQ.

I am planning on taking LOTS of photos, including the food. I love reading trip reports that feature food pics. Actually I love trip reports period!

Terri

I talked to cousin Deb last night and she may be able to come up Tuesday afternoon instead of Wednesday.:cool1:Only problem is she doesn't like Biergarten so I decided to make another reservation somewhere else and cancel Biergarten if she is able to make it on Tuesday. I tried LeCellier first, but it was totally booked! I don't know why I was so surprised, I know it's very popular, but I thought there would be something this far out. Oh well, I continued looking and got a reservation at Cape May at the Beach Club.

This morning my goal was to book Boma for Wednesday Dec 9. I got the exact time I wanted, 8:30pm. It's a little late for dinner, but it's EMH night at Animal Kingdom until 8pm, so we can stay in the park until (almost)the end of EMH then head to Boma for dinner. I'm hoping we can get a bus to Epcot (open until 9:30) after dinner then change to a bus to POFQ, if not we can get a bus to DD then transfer to POFQ.

I'm getting close to the end of getting ADR's, but there will still be a lot of planning to do. I still haven't decided if I'm going to drive or fly down, although I'm leaning towards driving. It's only about 7 hours, and the airfares have been really high. I also hate the luggage restrictions and if I drive I can take whatever I want. I will keep an eye on airfares, just in case though.

Terri

Up fairly early once again to try for ADR's at Ohana for Thursday evening. It was only 8am when I tried for reservations but the only thing available was at 9:45pm and that's just too late for me to have dinner so I went with Whispering Canyon Cafe. I've heard a lot about how much fun it is and I love BBQ. I think we'll like it.

Terri

I should have stuck to my original plan of getting up extra early to make my reservations right at 90 days out, but today I slept in and just got around to making my last reservation. I wanted Le Cellier for lunch but there was absolutely nothing available. No yummy cheese soup for me this trip!:sad2: Instead it will be dinner at the Crystal Palace at the Magic Kingdom. With this reservation all our dining (and park) plans are complete. Here is what we've got:

Saturday Dec 5: Morning: Epcot - C/S Lunch
Evening: Magic Kingdom - Kona Cafe dinner
Sunday Dec 6: Morning: (EMH)Animal Kingdom - Flame Tree for lunch
Evening: Hollywood Studios (EMH) Sci Fi
Monday Dec 7: Morning: Sleep in, Downtown Disney WPE OR EOS lunch
Evening: Magic Kingdom (EMH) Liberty Tree Tavern diner
Tuesday Dec 8: Morning: Hollywood Studios - C/S lunch
Evening: Epcot Biergarten or Cape May dinner
Wednesday Dec 9: Morning: Hollywood Studios - C/S lunch
Evening: (EMH) Animal Kingdom Boma dinner
Thursday Dec 10: Morning: Epcot C/S lunch
Evening: (EMH) Magic Kingdom Wispering Canyon dinner
Friday Dec 11: Morning: Magic Kingdom C/S lunch
Evening: Magic Kingdom Crystal Palace dinner

So that's the plan. It might change some, you never know, but for now that's it. Now I need to find a place to stay the first night. I don't want to waste most of my first day with the drive down, so I always find a cheap hotel to stay at the day I drive down. I usually try Priceline for that. I've had good luck with it so far.

Terri
[/B

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter