My yearly PSA. 7 years today!

phorsenuf

Not so New Rule author
I post this every year here to share my story. Some of you may be tired of seeing it but I get a couple PM's a year saying how my story prompted them to go to the ER and get checked when they normally would not have. If it can help at least one person then I'll share until my dying day.

It was a Friday, just a regular day. I got my kids up for school and went along on my normal morning routine. One of the boys got picked up and the other was was lagging and missed his ride. He asked me if I would drive him in. I said yes and headed upstairs to get dressed.

As I got upstairs my back, between the shoulder blades, started to ache. Figured I'd somehow twisted my back going up the stairs. I tried to stretch it out but no luck and it kept getting worse. After maybe 10 minutes my arms started to ache but just down to the elbows. This started getting strong so I woke my other son up and asked him to come upstairs. By the time he came up my left arm hurt really bad and I started having pressure in my chest. I figured I'd better go to the ER. I was hesitant though because I do suffer from anxiety and panic attacks that have landed me in the ER before. I've always felt like such an idiot when that happens.

So I decide yes, we need to go. As I was walking to the car I kept thinking maybe I should call an ambulance. But the hospital is pretty close by and if it got too bad we can pull over and call from the side of the road.

By the time I got there I was bent over in pain. They brought me right to the back and hooked me up and gave me some nitro. Then another dosage, and then another. That started to help. After a bit they gave me more and again that seemed to help. So they ended up putting a nitro patch on me and that really helped so much with the pain.

They did the usual tests and the ER Doctor came in and said everything checked out fine. BUT because you are a woman and women present differently with chest pains I'm going to admit you and rerun your blood work in 6 hours. There is an enzyme that your heart releases if you've had a heart attack but it can take up to 6 hours to show.

So after 6 hours they reran my blood work. The Doctor comes in and says "you've had a heart attack." Well you could have knocked me and my husband over with a feather. I was 44. I don't smoke, very very rarely drink, maybe 15 pounds overweight. I have no significant risk factors.
I had to stay in all weekend and on Monday they did a cardiac cath. The results from that showed no blockages. I didn't need any surgery or even any stents put in. There was a little blockage, which is normal, but nothing that would cause a heart attack. Thankfully my heart only suffered minimal damage.

They still, one year later, do not know why I had my heart attack. It's possible a piece of plaque broke off causing a temporary blockage of blood flow. I could have had a spasm that cut off my blood supply. They just never found anything conclusive. I've only had to go back 2 times with issues and both turned out ok. The Drs don't think it's anything that will happen again, but it's unnerving that it even happened in the first place. I mean it happened one time for no reason, why not a second?

So after my long tale here I want to say to say to all the women here if you go to the ER with chest pains and they run your blood and it checks out, ask to have it rerun in 6 hours. Whether you go home and come back, go home and then see your PCP or just get a lab slip, whatever, just do it. Insist on it. If they didn't rerun my blood I would never had known I had a heart attack. I would have brushed it off as a panic attack and again felt foolish. It probably would have prevented me from going back next time it happened and who knows how that may turn out.

If you stuck through this long long post, thank you. And if this helps even one person than what I went through was well worth it.

Thank you for posting this. I didn't know about the 6-hour thing - good thing to keep in mind.

I'm glad that you had a good doc in the ER! It might be helpful to know which test you're talking about? CK perhaps?

I think it's very kind of you to post this. Looking out for others makes you a nice person!

Thank you for posting this again.

Not too long ago, someone I know who was in her 40s died of a heart attack. She had pain in her arm and didn't recognize the signs. Before she died, her symptoms starting getting worse and she had decided to go to the ER. She died on the way. It was so sad.

I'm glad you keep posting this every year. You never know who's life you might save by doing it. Can't believe it's been that long already. So glad you are still here and in good health to keep sharing it!

Thanks for posting. I don't remember reading it the other times, so I appreciate the reminder!

Thank you for posting this. I lost my sister two years ago due to cardiac arrest.

Well, I will add my own PSA then to yours. My dh suffered a heart attack in Dec. 2012.

He started feeling worn out to the point of exhaustion about 2-3 weeks before his "event" because that is what they call it. We were busy so he though nothing of it. At some point he felt numbness in his left arm however that went away.

One day he started throwing up many, many times. This was in Dec. AND the "stomach bug" was going around. So we went to the urgent care thinking he had the stomach bug. He was given some IV fluids and sent home. (NOTE...URGENT CARES DO NOT DO THE ENZYME TEST. IF YOU SUSPECT A HEART ATTACK DO NOT GO THERE.)

Now it is Christmas eve, he is still feeling awful. He calls urgent care, they tell him to go to the ER. He does not. It is C. Eve. Next day is Christmas, he still does not go to ER. Finally the next day, I tell him to go to the ER to get checked out before he goes in to work. He does and they immediately do the enzyme test which DID NOT take 6hrs to show. It immediately showed he had a heart attack along with his EKG. He is taken for a heart cath right away.

By the time I get to the hospital he is admitted and hooked up to tons of stuff. He had blockage in 4 places. Surgery was schedule for that morning. He had a triple bypass.

My PSA is that PUKING can be a sign of a heart attack. Also extreme exhaustion, like walking through syrup. Does not have to be pain or arm numbness all the time.

My dh got stress tests every yr due to his high cholesterol and it showed NOTHING. His blockage was so extreme that it would not show up on a stress test.

I am happy to report that he is doing well today. His cholesterol is under control with a statin AND FISH OIL. The fish oil is the thing that did the final trick for lowering his cholesterol and fixing his triglycerides. I recommend trying it for people with high cholesterol.

Last edited:
I don't remember what it is called but Rosie O'Donnell does a stand up act talking about her heart attack. Even if your not a Rosie fan I think it sends out a good message. She talks about how women's symptoms are different then mens.

I don't remember what it is called but Rosie O'Donnell does a stand up act talking about her heart attack. Even if your not a Rosie fan I think it sends out a good message. She talks about how women's symptoms are different then mens.

I saw that and everyone should see that. It is what happened to my DH. He had no "chest pains" like you would normally think of someone having a heart attack.

Rosie calls it HEPPP which is "Hot, Exhausted, Pain, Pale, and Puke".

If we had seen that prior to my dh's attack, we would have known what it was. Even the urgent care did not recognize my dh's symptom's as a heart attack.

I saw that and everyone should see that. It is what happened to my DH. He had no "chest pains" like you would normally think of someone having a heart attack.

Rosie calls it HEPPP which is "Hot, Exhausted, Pain, Pale, and Puke".

If we had seen that prior to my dh's attack, we would have known what it was. Even the urgent care did not recognize my dh's symptom's as a heart attack.
Yes that is right. Good thing to remember.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter