Myers-Briggs & Disney

DisCopper

DIS Veteran
This is sort of a response to a thread called "What were they thinking" in which a woman is upset about others not planning a whole lot on their honeymoon at Disney. But it applies to many, many other posts I see on here.

If you're at all familiar with the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI), it's an assessment tool that can identify your Type (or personality). One part of it lists people as either Judging or Perceiving.

Judging people like a planned, orderly life. They want things set and organized and feel comfortable when decisions are made.

Perceiving people are more flexible and spontaneous. They like to understand and adapt to the world rather than plan it.

It seems to me that many of us on this board are Judging people... at least when it comes to Disney. I make my ADRs, plan which park I'm going to on what day, and look at fireworks schedules (I'm a strong Judging person).

I have a friend who is a strong Perceiving person. He enjoys Disney, but could care less about making ADR's (even when he knows it will be busy). He'd rather go with the flow and he "knows" that it will work out. To my infuriation (much like the OP in the other thread), it usually does for him.

So after all that background....

If you know your MBTI Type:
- What is it?
- If you're a "P," does it change to a "J" at Disney? Do you force yourself to plan even if you don't want to?

If you don't believe in Myers-Briggs, I don't think this is the place for an argument. I'm just interested to see who else is out there.

By the way, I'm an ISTJ.

I'm 100% judging all the way. In EVERYTHING I do. But to me, planning is a part of the fun. If it's not fun then why do it? My dh laughs at all my charts and lists and such, but he knows I enjoy planning and it makes the time between trips/projects/holidays go by faster for me. To each his own, but I'm a planner! :thumbsup2

A thread like this would be a better fit on the theme parks community board, so I'm going to move it there now.

ESTJ here - big J and yes, ADR's are made and corresponding charts are complete for trip in Nov.:thumbsup2

I'm an INFP (Introvert, iNtuitive, Feeler, Perceiver) but Disney trips to make me more of a planner, but we have to keep a modicum of flexibility or I'll feel confined and go bananas. :)

Oh and I wish there was no such thing as an ADR! LOL. I'm the anti-scheduler!

Hi. I am an ESFJ. I totally agree with you that the Judgers will have to have an orderly schedule to follow. I always have to make list and schedules and plans. I work with a lady who will just wake up on her first day of vacation and decide, "Hey let's go to Chicago for vacation!" and then they just 'wing' it! It would make me a nervous wreck to try and just 'wing' a vacation, especially a vacation to WDW! I have spent hours and hours planning, scheduling and researching, and my DH thinks I'm crazy! But, like I told my co-worker the other day,"I think planning it is part of the fun of vacation." If you miss out on the planning, I think you miss out on a lot of the vacation fun. But hey, that's just me! I'm kind of weird that way.

I think it's interesting that you brought up the personality types. I think I should remind my DH of that and then he'll probably understand why I spend so many hours doing this.

I'm an ESFP. (Extraverted,Sensing,Feeling,Perceiving)

At Disney, I have a loose plan of action but no touring plans, no adrs (i made a couple for the first time for this trip but more as an experiment and not so much as a necessity). I am a go with the flow kind of gal for 90% of the time, though there are often attractions i HAVE to see and will fit in otherwise i get cranky. lol.

But overall, as long as i get to do those couple of things, i dont care what happens or what days we do what etc.

I'm another ISTJ, thus the color coded schedule and laminated index cards.:thumbsup2

I am an ENTJ and my J is pretty much off the chart. However, I'm not an uber-planner. I do the research, I know the hours and what my family wants to do, so I have a plan for where we're going each day and what we want to do at each park, but it's not written down. There are no spreadsheets. We're doing the Quick Service DP this year, so no ADRs needed. I do have a list of CS restaurants we want to try. My "plan" is very fluid and flexible. I'm wondering if my N (intuitive) softens that J when it comes to Disney.

I'm another ISTJ, thus the color coded schedule and laminated index cards.:thumbsup2

Thought I was the only one! OK, maybe not the laminated index cards, but I can't handle not having a coordinated sheet with all of my ADR's etc...

I'm an INTP (which is very rare for a female, BTW) and I do plan but not down to the last detail. I always make ADRs for dinner every evening and plan our evening activities based on show schedules and which parks have evening EMH. I also plan which parks on which days, but that is always subject to change due to weather and/or crowds. That's about it as far as planning goes.

Also, I am so NOT organized. No color coding or index cards. I do keep a spreadsheet of ADRs along with park hours but I'm lucky if I remember to bring it and keep up with it throughout the trip.

I am an INTP also. Don't think I have ever heard that it is rare for a female, curious. Anyway KimR, I am just like you. I would never go without making ADRs and I do keep a spreadsheet with the days plans on it, but these plans are generally always flexible.
I worry about forgetting the plans as well, but I ususally make about 10 copies to prevent that!!
Interesting way to look at type :3dglasses

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter