MYRTLE BEACH, SC

yankebabie

DIS Veteran
We are starting to plan our first trip to myrtle beach. I understand there is a north strand and a south strand. What's the difference between the two. Also it is just me & the hubby going so would like to be able to do things without driving all the time but would like a hotel recommendation that is a little quieter and not so family friendly. We would like to be on the beach and stay below $250 a night. Any help would be appreciated.

North Beach is the less busy, more residential area. South Beach is the touristy part.

As far as more romantic hotels.
Anderson ocean club
Island Vista
Marina Inn at Grand dunes

North (quieter) still has plenty of shops and restaurants. South (much busier) has all the water parks, fun parks as well as tons of shops and restaurants. I prefer North. My teens prefer South.

I'd encourage you to drive 20 minutes south and stay in Pawleys Island. I'm blessed to live here, and it's amazing. We're a quick drive up Highway 17 from all the fun things in Myrtle, but we don't get all the not-so-good things like crowds and traffic. Plus our beaches our beautiful and uncrowded, and our restaurants are amazing.

Litchfield Beach and Golf Resort is a great place to stay with accommodations of different sizes -- many oceanfront. It's gorgeous. I literally live across the street. Let me know if I can answer any questions.

I'd say because it's just you and your husband, so the North Strand, we love Marriott Grand Dunes.

I'd encourage you to drive 20 minutes south and stay in Pawleys Island. I'm blessed to live here, and it's amazing. We're a quick drive up Highway 17 from all the fun things in Myrtle, but we don't get all the not-so-good things like crowds and traffic. Plus our beaches our beautiful and uncrowded, and our restaurants are amazing.

Litchfield Beach and Golf Resort is a great place to stay with accommodations of different sizes -- many oceanfront. It's gorgeous. I literally live across the street. Let me know if I can answer any questions.

I agree, we have a home in Surfside Beach and it is much quieter, beach is beautiful and family friendly. Right near to Pawleys Island.

I just popped in to recommend Drunken Jack's restaurant in Murrells Inlet. :-)

One of the dangers of living here year-round is being so close to Drunken Jack's. It is literally walking distance from my office. Oh those hush puppies...

I have stayed at Litchfield Beach and Golf Resort three times. They typically have special discounts on their website. Just Google Litchfield Beach and Golf Resort. It is nice resort and the beach is great. It was really a nice place to stay when I went with my extended family. But it is a bit of a drive back into Myrtle to do things.

if it is just you and your hubby you may want to stay at North Myrtle Beach as there will be more to do in the evenings, bars, restaurants, shows, etc. I have stayed in North Myrtle Beach too. We had a nice time there too.

We are starting to plan our first trip to myrtle beach. I understand there is a north strand and a south strand. What's the difference between the two. Also it is just me & the hubby going so would like to be able to do things without driving all the time but would like a hotel recommendation that is a little quieter and not so family friendly. We would like to be on the beach and stay below $250 a night. Any help would be appreciated.

Myrtle Beach and North Myrtle Beach are different cities. Myrtle Beach is the beach tourists go to. North Myrtle Beach, as others have stated has been primary a residential city until recent years. It is becoming more popular for tourist unfortunately. Many tourist rent houses in Surfside, Beach which is a short drive South of Myrtle Beach. Enjoy!

Most of the hotels in North Myrtle are very family friendly. We love North Beach Plantation. That said, it's quieter. Myrtle is the way to go if you want to be in the crowds.

It is very confusing because Myrtle Beach has a North and South and then there is North Myrtle Beach which is much less touristy but not without its own attractions like the dance clubs and the "Shaggers." We have stayed at the Avista Resort and have always loved it there. Compared to the resorts where I am from in New Jersey it is much nicer and more reasonably priced for direct ocean front. Barefoot Landing is in North Myrtle Beach and you can always drive down to Myrtle if you feel the need. Have fun!

It is very confusing because Myrtle Beach has a North and South and then there is North Myrtle Beach which is much less touristy but not without its own attractions like the dance clubs and the "Shaggers." We have stayed at the Avista Resort and have always loved it there. Compared to the resorts where I am from in New Jersey it is much nicer and more reasonably priced for direct ocean front. Barefoot Landing is in North Myrtle Beach and you can always drive down to Myrtle if you feel the need. Have fun!
My college son just got back from Avista Resort. Apparently it gets a huge college population in mid May for End of Exams Beach Week. DS chatted with some of the regular guests in the elevator, and they were understandably bummed to be sharing the property with thousands of college kids.

Another vote for either North Myrtle (Cherry Grove?) or south to Murrells Inlet.

Others correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the water is not safe in Myrtle Beach. I always see the reports to stay out of the water in Myrtle due to high levels of toxins but doesn't effect the cities on either side.

Last edited:
Another vote for either North Myrtle (Cherry Grove?) or south to Murrells Inlet.

Others correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the water is not safe in Myrtle Beach. I always see the reports to stay out of the water in Myrtle due to high levels of toxins but doesn't effect the cities on either side.
When I was there over Spring Break we checked this out. There are culverts that have storm runoff draining out of them onto the beach and into the ocean. The runoff water is untreated. If I remember correctly, you can't swim within 200 feet of a culvert. There is plenty of swimmable ocean to enjoy.

I'm with everyone else North Myrtle is now much nicer. We have been going since I was a kid and over the years some parts of south look rundown and they are not as nice. Anderson Ocean Club is very nice as well as anything Kingston Plantation. Kingston is our favorite place to stay. It is quieter with some nice condos and hotels.

We've gone the last 2 summers because my DD goes to college down there now. First year we rented an oceanfront condo in North Myrtle. Last year we rented a house in Surfside that had a private pool and was couple blocks away, but had a golf cart to take us down to the beach. Both were fantastic vacations and I would do both again. HOWEVER, what is just a few miles away in Myrtle Beach can take an hour with traffic. You will want to give yourself plenty of time to get from place to place. And no matter what restaurant you hit during dinner time, it will be insanely crowded so prepare for that wait as well!

And if you are staying on the south side, you might want to hit the Twisters Ice Cream stand in Murrell's Inlet every single night like we did. That might actually make me lean more towards staying in the south side than staying in North Myrtle. Ha ha!

We spent one week with our 6 year old at the end of March 2016, as the Dunes Village Resort, it was just okay, the view was fabulous for an ocean front room but that is about it. In 2015 we stayed at the Sheraton Plantation Boardwalk which is not ocean front and loved it...... If you need any more about either just pm.

We spent one week with our 6 year old at the end of March 2016, as the Dunes Village Resort, it was just okay, the view was fabulous for an ocean front room but that is about it. In 2015 we stayed at the Sheraton Plantation Boardwalk which is not ocean front and loved it...... If you need any more about either just pm.

Do you walk to the beach at the Sheraton or do they have transportation that takes you there?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter