NAACP Statement

Queen2PrincessG

DIS Veteran
I’m glad Pete and the crew spoke about this but I’m even prouder of Ryno for saying something people just don’t seem to get. Location matters! While John and Pete may feel safe, many others don’t. I wonder if they would feel this safe if they were Brown or Black gay men. It’s an important conversation because yes, in the Disney bubble or in Miami one may feel safe, but outside of that? BIG Yikes!

I’m glad Pete and the crew spoke about this but I’m even prouder of Ryno for saying something people just don’t seem to get. Location matters! While John and Pete may feel safe, many others don’t. I wonder if they would feel this safe if they were Brown or Black gay men. It’s an important conversation because yes, in the Disney bubble or in Miami one may feel safe, but outside of that? BIG Yikes!
Thank you for reposting this! Very proud of Ryno as well.

Ridiculous statement from the NAACP. I have plenty of family and friends in Florida of all color and sexual orientation. All of them feel safe and cannot understand the worries here. There are plenty of places I don't feel safe as a heterosexual white male in this country. Quite a few cities I travel to for work related business included.

A political hit job is all it was. I’m not gay but a gay person is just as safe as I am a white person in Detroit or an Asian female in San Francisco. A law that bans teachers from teaching sex to 1st graders is not dangerous to the gay community

I agree. I wish responders would stop trying to act like its not true just because they know a POC/LGBTQ+ person and are speaking for them. Unless you live and identify as a member of a marginalized group, no one cares about your opinion on the matter. You will never be the target.

I agree. I wish responders would stop trying to act like its not true just because they know a POC/LGBTQ+ person and are speaking for them. Unless you live and identify as a member of a marginalized group, no one cares about your opinion on the matter. You will never be the target.
So now someone can “identify” as a POC?

So now someone can “identify” as a POC?

Well everyone has pigment in their skin. If you ancestors lived closer to the equator you have more pigment. If they lived closer to the poles they have less. It really isn't a binary choice. There is a quite a bit of grey area there and too often the systems we have in place want to neatly categorize everyone into a certain box.

This is an incredibly ignorant statement. "You will never be the target". Tell that to my Mother who was chased down by 3 people of "color" while in the wrong area of a town shopping and threatened at knife point just because she was white. Never be the target. Ya, OK.

Anyone can be a victim of a biased attack. It’s not reserved for just one type of person or a particular voting block

I’m gay and a POC who are you to tell anyone that their opinions are invalid? Everyone has a right to an opinion so please continue to discuss openly. I have a trip booked in two weeks too, very afraid.
If you are “ very afraid “ ….don’t go to Florida. I think it is very safe for anyone, but if that is what you really feel, go elsewhere. I would be very afraid to ride a subway in NYC. I would be very afraid to visit Chicago or any large city with high crime…so I don’t. I think you are just as safe in Florida than any of those places no matter what color you are. It was a political statement against DeSantis and meant to add unfounded fear…imo. Many people of color or lgbtq on this board have been going to WDW without issue and are just now fearful? 🤷‍♀️

A political hit job is all it was. I’m not gay but a gay person is just as safe as I am a white person in Detroit or an Asian female in San Francisco. A law that bans teachers from teaching sex to 1st graders is not dangerous to the gay community
But its also 2nd and 3rd and 4th and 5th and 6th and 7th and 8th and 9th and 10th and 11th and 12th grade

But its also 2nd and 3rd and 4th and 5th and 6th and 7th and 8th and 9th and 10th and 11th and 12th grade
Edit: off topic

:offtopic:

Edit: If you are of color and unsure about safety in Fl, check out Daytona Beach pictures from Memorial Day weekend. People don't look too scared to be on the beach enjoying the sun and sand.

Last edited:
If you are “ very afraid “ ….don’t go to Florida. I think it is very safe for anyone, but if that is what you really feel, go elsewhere. I would be very afraid to ride a subway in NYC. I would be very afraid to visit Chicago or any large city with high crime…so I don’t. I think you are just as safe in Florida than any of those places no matter what color you are. It was a political statement against DeSantis and meant to add unfounded fear…imo. Many people of color or lgbtq on this board have been going to WDW without issue and are just now fearful? 🤷‍♀️
It's interesting you can see that the political side of the NAACP statement but miss the political side of the bolded stories. :P

<- Native Chicagoan who will always go to bat for my city (even if life has taken me elsewhere)

It's interesting you can see that the political side of the NAACP statement but miss the political side of the bolded stories. :P

<- Native Chicagoan who will always go to bat for my city (even if life has taken me elsewhere)
Not sure how reading or reports on TV of high crime/ violence in big cities taking a “ political side “. 🤷‍♀️

Not sure how reading or reports on TV of high crime/ violence in big cities taking a “ political side “. 🤷‍♀️
Lack of context given around those numbers along with highlighting only specific cities due to their location. Chicago ranks 44th in total crime among major cities (and 17th in violent crime) so why was it the example you pulled out?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter