Nacho Cheese

Cogswel_Cogs

DIS Veteran
So we have some leftover taco meat. So we decided we will make some guac melt some cheese and throw it all over tortialla chips.
Anyone recommend cheese to melt would velvetta be way to go?

I melt Velveeta cheese with one or two cans of Hormel chili but that's usually when I'm serving it with tortilla chips as a dip but it would probably be really good with your leftover taco meat. :)

It's surprisingly easy to make your own cheese sauce and obviously much better for you than whatever is in Velveeta. Butter and flour to make a roux, milk, shred your own cheese, fold it in schitt's creek style, salt and chili powder.

But how do you fold it in? 🤔

I layer a baking pan with the chips, put shredded cheese, peppers, onions and the meat (if I have it) on top and stick it in the oven on 350 until the cheese melts (I put the cheese on the top) then I turn the oven to broil for just a min. to get it nice and bubbly. When it comes out, I drop dollops of the guac and sour cream on top. Man, now I want nachos.

I have always failed at making cheese sauce. It always ends up a gooey lumpy mess.

I just use cans of nacho cheese on the taco shelf. The stuff from the chip companies is lousy.

It's surprisingly easy to make your own cheese sauce and obviously much better for you than whatever is in Velveeta. Butter and flour to make a roux, milk, shred your own cheese, fold it in schitt's creek style, salt and chili powder.
Did this with 8oz of cheddar 2 tbs of butter and chilli powder 2tbs of flour.

If I'm making nachos I prefer to use a small amount of nacho sauce from a jar, and add shredded cheese on top of that. This way you get the creaminess and spices of the jarred sauce, but actual cheese flavor from the shredded bits. Just be sure to go easy with the stuff from the jar, you want the flavor of the real cheese to be dominant.

Nachos are great, but I haven't had Velveeta since the days when I also had spray cheese. Velveeta probably shares many of the same chemical compounds as Flex Seal Paste.

Best I ever had was at Josefina's cooking school in Cozumel. She used Queso Fresco cheese from Oaxaca. Outstanding.

I have always failed at making cheese sauce. It always ends up a gooey lumpy mess.

I just use cans of nacho cheese on the taco shelf. The stuff from the chip companies is lousy.
It's important to shred your own cheese because the bagged stuff has preservatives that can cause the lumpiness in the sauce. It's also important to melt the cheese over a low heat, you definitely don't want it boiling. Once the base is thickened it should be warm enough to remove from the heat and still melt the cheese.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter