• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

name a difference between your Christmas this year compared to last year?

1st Christmas without my nephew. He married and moved out of state. So we will be 5 people this year.

We were in Europe last year. Home this year but have a long weekend! Will be cooking and not eating out though.

I'm not sick this year; I'll actually be able to go downstairs and open presents around the tree! Last year, I had fallen and had such severe damage to my knee cap and tibia that I couldn't be upright, even with crutches, and couldn't have managed the stairs anyhow. The Christmas before, I was quarantined/isolating with Covid. I'm ready to open presents around a Christmas tree again!

Last year I worked both Christmas Eve and Day (Double shifts) I actually worked Thanksgiving too so I didn't really get any holiday time. This year I had off Thanksgiving and I was lucky that one of the other nurses needed last Sunday off so she is working for me on Christmas Eve so I actually have off this year. I do have to work Christmas though.
Kind of sucks but I guess it goes with the territory but I appreciate your dedication

The first thing coming to mind is that I have a job I actually like. I’ve had my fair share of jobs, but I am currently in one of the most accepting environments I personally have ever been in.

We're heading out today to travel 500 miles back to my hometown for Christmas. We haven't been in 7 years, since my DMom died. Prior to that, we'd spent every holiday season of my adult life on the road, and it had been really, really nice to finally establish our own sweet routines here with our church family and friends. We're only going now because we recently moved and started a reno that has not gone to plan. We've scrambled to the point of total exhaustion (on top of punishing work demands) to try and bring it to completion but just couldn't make it happen. We decided a few days ago to throw in the towel, shut the door behind us and jump in the car. We're blessed to have family members that are over-the-moon excited to host us, so it will be a very Merry Christmas, even if it's not quite how we hoped. :santa:

Last year we couldn’t go to my moms in NY because my dd woke up with covid. This year we may not be going because mom’s furnace is broke and can’t get replaced until after Christmas. Will decide this morning if we are going to go anyway.

less people this year
I think it might be the Christmas where my almost 9 year old GS doesn't believe in Santa any longer. My daughter mentioned that he had not talked or asked about Santa at all this season. Then I realized she was right. ( they live in our home too). I know it's time but kind of sad to realize we are all getting older.

I'm not exhausted this year. I had a 9 week old puppy last Christmas who was not remotely house trained. Now she's a year old and I don't have to worry about her peeing on the floor every 5 minutes.

My MIL passed away yesterday.
I’m so sorry for your loss. What an especially sad time for you. :grouphug:

Last year I worked both Christmas Eve and Day (Double shifts) I actually worked Thanksgiving too so I didn't really get any holiday time. This year I had off Thanksgiving and I was lucky that one of the other nurses needed last Sunday off so she is working for me on Christmas Eve so I actually have off this year. I do have to work Christmas though.

I’m a retired RN, I understand. I’m glad you’re getting some holiday time off this year. Thanks for hanging in there & not giving up on nursing. :flower3:

Quite a stark difference. Last year we were dealing with the snowy weather impacting our travel plans. This year we are dealing with our daughters post surgery recoveries. One daughter had surgery for her endometriosis and the other had a brain tumor removed the day before Thanksgiving.

Hope your daughter are both well on the way to a full recovery & you all enjoy a quiet, uneventful holiday.

I usually look forward to Christmas. This year I don’t even want to go. The uncle I disowned (misogynistic / chauvinistic jerk) along with my (now I know) backstabbing aunt and (just learned) drama-creating grandma—started drama about my mom that’s not true. Uncle called my dad and actually pulled the “you need to get a handle on your woman” line. Dad doesn’t like confrontation and then just rolls over and goes along when someone offers even the crappiest of apologies. Mom and I do not what to go to Christmas Eve yet dad is all “suck it up IT’S CHRISTMAS! God bless us everyone one”

Well us 2 Grinchy Scrooges say BAH HUMBUG

Well, I don’t think you are scrooges. At this point in life, I realize time is precious. I have become selective about who I spend what remaining time I have with. There’s no excuse on earth for causing drama & anguish for your family. I wouldn’t give 1 minute of my life to misogynistic trouble causing people, relatives or not. I think you’re being very accommodating to your father, especially your mother. I wouldn’t spend 1 minute with people who are trashing me. I hope your father appreciates what your mother is doing for him. He’s very lucky she didn’t tell him… them or me. Good luck with your holiday. I hope it goes better than expected.
My dad died last month. Big difference. We also had covid last year, so missed on some stuff. Knock on wood we are good to go so far this year!

I’m very sorry for your loss. I hope you have some happy memories to help you thru the difficult moments. :grouphug:

Hosting Christmas Eve this year. We used to do this in my family yearly -- then people moved away, grandparents passed on, COVID hit -- we stopped doing it for a few years. Now we're hosting again the way we used to... spent a lot of time cleaning the house today!

No one is sick this year! The last few years have been crazy and last year we had to move Christmas back a week due to illness. We had our family Christmas last night, all fourteen of us. We had a fun time with lots of food, laughter and a fun white elephant gift exchange. Our house is all cleaned up and we’re on our own now, but we’re fine with that as we’re the grandparents and are ready for a rest. Happy Holidays everyone. 🎄

I was able to celebrate Christmas with my nieces/nephews and their children last night. Last year, the weather was so bad that I had to stay home. And, I am 25 pounds thinner this year thanks to WW. 😁

ETA - I forgot the most important thing - this year I am looking forward to becoming a grandmother for the first time in May, 2024. WooHoo!

Last edited:
My husband and I are in Mexico - Christmas on the beach instead of being in the kitchen for hours
We are starting our new tradition after being married 31 years

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter