Name your pizza

Favorite pizza is sausage and green pepper, thin and we’ll done. Two favorite places are in a nearby town of Peabody, MA. Frankies Slice or Plum Tomatos.

Texas isn’t exactly known for its pizza but I’m partial to an old hippie joint here in Austin that does a really nice deep dish pie. Conan’s pizza has been around since the real “Keep Austin Weird” days and hopefully they stick around as long as I’m here. All the new development in town has closed down their original location by the UT campus. :(

Last edited:
In South Florida Anthony’s coal fired pizza reigns supreme. We had gone to the original for years before it became a franchise. They have the best coal fired wings with caramelized onions too.
Love Anthony's. There is one about 20 minutes away from where we live in New Jersey. We also are fans of the wings with onions. We alternate between the traditional and white pizza.
Our other favorite isTreno in Haddon Twp, NJ. I particularly like the Prosciutto with Arugula ( white pie) & Margherita.

The best pizza I have ever had was in a little pizza place in Italy. There was no storefront or name. You had to know where it was or you would miss it. I have never had anything remotely close to it in the USA. Costco does make a very good pizza.

Growing up we went to Inzillos in Jackson, NJ. But any NY style will do, provided it's made well.

Pepperoni is the single best topping, but over the years I have learned to like other varieties. Still not a fan of olives and raw onions, but most other things work.

Where I now live is mostly Detroit-style, which can be good but doesn't compare to the NY style for me. Buddy's was bought out years ago and the quality has gone downhill. Green Lantern is my new go-to, with Crispelli's being good for the thinner, real-Italian style. Jet's is for when you just need something fast or have a good coupon. Not touching Little Caesars unless I get it for free at a Red Wings/Pistons game.

Deep dish is good every now and then but generally overrated.

California should just quit before it gets worse for them.

Tip: If you want garlic dipping sauce but your normal place doesn't offer it, you only need two ingredients: margarine and garlic powder. Start with 3 Tbsp of melted margarine and 1 tsp of garlic powder and adjust from there.

The best pizza I have ever had was in a little pizza place in Italy. There was no storefront or name. You had to know where it was or you would miss it. I have never had anything remotely close to it in the USA. Costco does make a very good pizza.
Yeah - as long as you walk a block or two from the main touristy areas you will find many places with really good pizza in Italy no doubt.

The sad part is its not that hard to make good pizza - for the most part places just don't and people don't want to pay the price. Price wise its hard to compete with dominoes or the other chains.

Its the same for many things - one example ribs - you can get them at Chillis pretty cheap in comparison to what a good BBQ place charges for a rack so its hard to compete - especially in a part of the country that isn't big into real BBQ.
It got even worse when the cost of ribs went sky high a few years back - small places could not even get decent ribs and the prices went way up.

I know its sounds crazy but there was a time Pizza Hut and Papa Gino's actually made a decent pizza - but they have to compete with Little Cesar's and Dominoes.

Up until about 5 years ago there was a Papa Gino's that still made a really good pizza, but then corporate took it over and replaced the oven and now its awful.

Red Baron French bread Pizzas are my new staple. Cheap but perfect for quick lunches.

Anybody ever try Imo's Pizza?

We tried it when visiting St. Louis area. It's different than anything I have had before, but really good!
https://www.imospizza.com/

I'd really like to try St. Louis style pizza, if only because Provel is so polarizing. But while I can veganize pretty much every other style of pizza I've tried, I don't think I can adequately replicate that cheese.

I used to live just outside of Chicago and many places were faves: Lou Malnati, Uno, Giordonnos, but our very fave was a small hole-in-the-wall place near our house called Pisa Pizza. They'd make small 9" individual pizzas for $4. So our family could order 4 pizzas, everyone got their own toppings... heaven.

Color me skeptical about Costco pizza. Just watching those machines swirl the sauce on the pre-stamped out dough rounds looks wrong to me. But I'll have to bit the bullet and give it a try before I condemn.

Color me skeptical about Costco pizza. Just watching those machines swirl the sauce on the pre-stamped out dough rounds looks wrong to me. But I'll have to bit the bullet and give it a try before I condemn.
I just like watching the people watching those machines … well worth it ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter