• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Napa slaw at Rainforest Cafe?

MaryMN

Earning My Ears
I just ate at the Rainforest Cafe in the Mall of America in Minneapolis (the first time being at a RFC.) I ordered some sort of combination platter that I think was called Monsoon "something" but it had a crabcake, coconut breaded shrimp, salmon encrusted with plantains, etc. The food was delicious but I especially liked the "slaw" that came with the meal.

I was expecting shredded cabbage with a mayonnaise type dressing so was surprised when I saw all sorts of vegetables cut julienne style (very finely) with a wonderfully flavored dressing.

I assume that the menus at most Rainforest Cafes are pretty standard so wondered if anyone out there might have a recipe for this slaw.

I've been searching, but so far I have been unable to find a recipe from the Rainforest Cafe. I have found other Napa Slaw recipes though. Would you be interested in seeing any of those?

Yes I would be interested in seeing other recipes for the slaw. Hopefully one will be similar!

Thanks for the taking the time to look for this recipe! :)

Here are some Napa Slaw recipes that I found. None of them are from the Rainforest Cafe, but perhaps one of them will be close.

This one is from Ming Tsai of the TV food network. http://www.mingspantry.com/recipe/recipe_napaslaw.htm

Napa Slaw
My East-West take on the traditional favorite makes a great addition to sandwiches or wraps where its crunch and mild heat give other fillings a real boost. Try it also with cold cuts of all kinds.

Ingredients

1/2 cup Thai fish sauce (nam pla)
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
1/2 tablespoon red pepper flakes
8 large basil leaves, cut lengthwise into 1/4 inch ribbons
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
3 cups napa cabbage cut into 1/8 inch ribbons (1 medium head)
1 cup shredded carrots part only, cut 1/8 inch thick
1 cup bean sprouts
1/2 cup scallions, green
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions

1. In a non-reactive baking dish just large enough to hold the chicken, combine the hoisin sauce, sambal olek, scallions, wine, garlic, ginger, and pepper and mix. Add the chicken, turn to coat, cover, and marinate, refrigerated, at least 4 hours and preferably overnight.

2. Heat an outdoor grill or preheat the broiler. Spray the grill with nonstick cooking spray. Season the chicken with the salt to taste and grill or broil it. Turning once, until brown and the juices run clear when pricked with a fork at the joint, 12 to 15 minutes.

3. Divide the slaw and chicken among 4 plates and serve.

Here's another one for you:
Got this one here: http://www.saladrecipe.com/AZ/SnowPeaandNapaCabbageSlaw.asp

Snow Pea and Napa Cabbage Slaw

Ingredients
1/2 pound snow peas
1 1/2 pounds shredded cabbage
2 carrots, shredded
1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
3 green onions, chopped
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
3 tablespoons olive oil

Directions
1 In a large pot of boiling water, blanch snow peas 15 seconds, strain and transfer to a bowl of cold water to chill. Drain and slice thin.
2 In a large bowl, combine the snow peas, cabbage, carrots, bell pepper, green onions, lemon juice, vinegar and olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste; toss and serve chilled.

Makes 6 servings

Oops I've got to run I hear my younger daughter out of bed. I will post more in the morning.

Since I wasn't sure what veggies were in the slaw you had I thought I would give you a variety of recipes and then you could see if one was close - or you could pull ingredients from each to make one you liked.

Here is a easy recipe -- it has only 5 ingredients.

Napa Cabbage Slaw

1 tb Toasted sesame oil
3 c Finely shredded napa cabbage
1 c Finely shredded bok choy
2 tb Very thin sweet red pepper strips
1/4 c Seasoned rice vinegar

In a large mixing bowl combine napa cabbage, bok choy, and red pepper strips. In a small mixing bowl stir together seasoned rice vinegar and toasted sesame oil. Immediately toss with the salad mixture.

I got the above recipe here:
http://www.melborponsti.com/veggie/cabbage/cabb0138.shtml

And here's one more:

Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds carrots, finely shredded
4 cups finely slivered napa cabbage
1/3 cup white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
Salt

Instructions:
In a salad bowl, gently mix carrots, cabbage, vinegar, sugar, garlic, and ginger. Season to taste with salt. If made ahead, cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.

Yield: Makes 6 servings.

Nutrition information:
Per serving: 255 calories, 2 grams protein, 18 grams carbohydrates, 0.3 grams total fat (0.1 saturated fat), 0 milligrams cholesterol, 44 milligrams sodium

Got that one here:
http://life-and-love.icq.thriveonline.oxygen.com/nutrition/kitchen/sides/vegetarian/vegside32.html

Thanks Beth. These recipes sound tasty, but just don't resemble what I ate at the Rainforest Cafe! To be honest, I wouldn't have called what I ate "slaw"...it was various vegetables cut julienne style. (To me slaw is shredded cabbage.) I'm not really sure what some of the vegetables even were!

Guess I will just have to plan another trip back to the RFC! It will be awhile before we will get back to WDW, but getting to the one in Minneapolis is a possibility! I was able to use a gift certificate earned through MyPoints during this last trip....with the state of all of the online rewards programs now I doubt that happens again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter