NASA: Space shuttle Discovery is 'go for launch' on July 13

Princess Tink

DVC Member
My question is....we're staying at Vero Beach during this time period, should we try to see from there or drive up the Kennedy Space Center? How long of a drive is it to the Space Center from VB?

This would be an awesome experience.

Depending on the time of day and the weather, Vero could be the PERFECT place to watch the launch. The launch site is almost due north of Vero Beach, and the trajectory is Southeast. That means the vehicle will be rising above you and moving a little out to sea as it climbs. You may be able to see first-stage separation, which is where the second stage and Shuttle sepatate from the big boosters that lifted them off the ground.

If it ends up being a night launch - fuggedaboutit! A night launch is like someone turning on the sun!

We routinely see shuttle launches from Miami, more than 100 miles south of Vero, so Vero should be amazing.

I used to live on Merritt Island (just a few miles south of Kennedy Space Center) and I can tell you that the traffic in the Titusville, MI, Cocoa Beach area will be awful.

Stay at Vero and go out beachside to watch.

Event: Space Shuttle Return to Flight- STS-114 Discovery
Date: 7/13/2005 - 7/31/2005

Time: 03:45:00 PM EST

Time: Launch is targeted for July 13 (moved from May 15 and July 12) with a planning window that extends through July 31.
Details: The first post-Columbia space shuttle mission will be STS-114 -- the seventeenth U.S. flight to the International Space Station. Discovery will deliver supplies and equipment to station using the Italian "Raffaello" Multi-Purpose Logistics Module. The crew will test new orbiter inspection procedures and thermal protection system repair techniques. Three spacewalks are planning, including one to replace the station's failed Control Moment Gyroscope.

thanks JimMIA, I appreciate the advise......I'm glad you told me about the traffic jam also, I would of been the poor 'unsuspecting idiot' tourist otherwise.
Thanks!

You guys are a wealth of knowledge. So if the launch can be seen in Miami, do you have an idea how many miles north of Titusville it can be seen?

We plan on seeing the launch from somewhere here in Sebastian or maybe we'll drive down to the resort for a meal. There are many parks along A1A North of the resort that would serve as good viewing areas.

We did see a launch a few years ago from the resort. It was AMAZING! The CM's were telling everyone to go outside and we didn't know why. We got out there just in time.

I can't even explain what it looked like. It did feel like it was almost right there in front of us. The colors that it made in the sky were amazing. I actuallly had tears in my eyes. It was something I will never forget. This was at night so I don't know what a day launch would look like.

We can't wait to see it. :3dglasses

I believe one of the new rules - for now - is that the launches will have to be in daylight so that they can film / view the ascent with high powered cameras, and make sure all is well with the vehicle.

One of my dreams is to be able to see a launch in person, and I hope to some day. :rolleyes1 Many years ago, we were staying at DW and they were scheduled to launch, but we decided to stay in the area and go to the parks. We were afraid of driving out there only to find out that the launch was postponed (common back then). Alas, they did launch and I missed it. :sad2:

There may be tickets available to see the launch from the Causeway (actually on NASA property) which I HIGHLY recommend. Since the launch date has been bumped several times, you may be able to find someone who originally purchased passes for the May launch who now can't go in July (there were several previous posts on the DIS forums about this). If you go early enough, you'll avoid the traffic jam and be able to enjoy the museum and sights before you get bussed out to the Causeway.

It truly is an AMAZING experience!

UPDATE: I just checked online and the only tickets available are here:
http://www.ksctickets.com/kennedyspacecenter/adstashaloff.html

ShuttleEarthStation.jpg

RumpleMom said:
You guys are a wealth of knowledge. So if the launch can be seen in Miami, do you have an idea how many miles north of Titusville it can be seen?
I'm sure you would be able to see it from Daytona, and I wouldn't be surprised if you could see it all the way from Jacksonville. The difference is, from the north the shuttle will be going away from you fast.

From the south, it arcs over your head. It's well offshore, but still clearly visible for quite some time if it's not too cloudy. (July is thunderstorm season, so the weather may be iffy.)

If you go to the causeway, be prepared for the physical impact of the launch as well as the visual and emotional impact. If you are reasonably close (we used to watch from a boat), you are going to get physically pounded by the sound waves. It will feel like someone is beating a base drum on your chest.

Also, don't forget about booster and first-stage separations. At those points, you are going to see a flash, a puff of smoke, and things falling away from the vehicle. That's normal -- has to happen, not a problem. The radio and TV announcers will be explaining that as it goes.

I;m going July 16-23rd, and would love to see a launch, so if it's delayed, please let us know.

Goldi

Just wanted to confirm that there will be NO more night launches due to safety concerns (watching for impacts to the wings, etc...) The launches are wonderful (I have been to two), but be aware there is a lot of waiting. My family who loves me dearly, went with me to one. They describe it as 2 hrs of waiting and a couple minutes of coolness. I of course was in awe the whole time. Also be aware that things have changed due to 9/11. If you see it in person, you are bussed to the causeway (no longer allowed to drive there on your own). There will still be a long line of cars to get there but at least it is a shorter drive :teeth:

aero99 said:
Just wanted to confirm that there will be NO more night launches due to safety concerns
This is currently true but may not be the case forever.

pohj80 great pic , thanks for sharing. i wonder if there is any available at VB during that week, does anyone know? :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter