• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

NASCAR bans all display of the Confederate battle flag at events

Yep. As I posted in the other thread, I am happy that it wasn't a targeted attack, though I can absolutely see how/why it was taken as such.
I was wondering that myself. Isn't a noose designed to be able to be "snugged"? How would that work for a pull rope? If you pulled on it, and it was a true noose, wouldn't the knot tighten against your hand (what you don't want for a pull rope)?
......so when the logger coming down from hard days work can come to your assistance when you slid off the road and into the ditch, they can wrap the loop knotted strongly thru the pull rope and pull you out.....though now it is common to use more of the synthetic straps with factory stitched loops that can hook into vehicles that have pull hooks or slots....so could be a cultural artifact that hemp ropes are not longer practical and everyone uses synthetics

......so when the logger coming down from hard days work can come to your assistance when you slid off the road and into the ditch, they can wrap the loop knotted strongly thru the pull rope and pull you out.....though now it is common to use more of the synthetic straps with factory stitched loops that can hook into vehicles that have pull hooks or slots....so could be a cultural artifact that hemp ropes are not longer practical and everyone uses synthetics
I'm not sure why you quoted me.

Wallace is repeating what LEO's have told him and reported officially.

As I stated up thread, door pulls should never have loops on the end of them for safety reasons. This one isn't perfectly anything to begin with. Plus it has caused all this ruckus. It's a simple fix. An easy way to move past this. Untie the end and leave it just a straight rope pull. Don't even have to remove it.

While I'd like to say you don't get it the reality is I don't get you and you don't get me. I don't agree with you and you don't agree with me.

I’m curious how is a door pull down rope with a loop handle a safety issue?

I thought the idea was that it might snag on something. I haven't really seen that before in a pull cord for a garage, drapes, etc. Usually there's some sort of tassel or knots. My garage door release cord has a tassel at the end. Maybe a handle of some sort?

Same reason pull cords on blinds and curtains are a hazard. Or lanyards that don't have break-away clasps. If they get caught on something people can strangle themselves accidently. Kids have accidently hanged themselves with blinds and curtains. Lanyards have gotten caught in school bus doors and have caused deaths.

While there are probably no children around the garages of race tracks, in a normal house garage the loops could be a danger.

I thought the idea was that it might snag on something. I haven't really seen that before in a pull cord for a garage, drapes, etc. Usually there's some sort of tassel or knots. My garage door release cord has a tassel at the end. Maybe a handle of some sort?
I guess it could but everything can be dangerous, for example; I once watched a truck driver after he pulled ahead, stand inside the rear of his trailer without a rope attempt to jump up to grab the door. He missed, then he slipped and fell flat on his back onto cement. My thought was “I just saw a man die” he jumped up, shook it off and said he was fine. I think it was his bravado cause I’m certain he was hurt. That’s a 3&1/2-4 foot drop on the back, I heard his head hit. He insisted he was fine, we tried to get him to sit down, made him coffee, he just kept insisting he was fine.

Things can get caught in the loop and hung. I'm just telling you what the professional garage door installers told us when they installed our two industrial garage doors. We also have two semi trailers with roll up doors. Both have straight straps for opening and closing the door.

Not sure why you quoted me?

Same reason pull cords on blinds and curtains are a hazard. Or lanyards that don't have break-away clasps. If they get caught on something people can strangle themselves accidently. Kids have accidently hanged themselves with blinds and curtains. Lanyards have gotten caught in school bus doors and have caused deaths.

While there are probably no children around the garages of race tracks, in a normal house garage the loops could be a danger.
There is no way anyone's head could be caught in that loop. It is way too small. Although my preference isn't a small loop but rather a knot (or series of knots) at the end of a rope or pull.

There is no way anyone's head could be caught in that loop. It is way too small. Although my preference isn't a small loop but rather a knot (or series of knots) at the end of a rope or pull.

I think people just like to argue....it isn't just your head that can get hung up. An arm. A hand. Fingers. Your foot (when the door is closed. It is a bad idea to have a loop at the end of the rope.

I think people just like to argue....it isn't just your head that can get hung up. An arm. A hand. Fingers. Your foot (when the door is closed. It is a bad idea to have a loop at the end of the rope.
It why I knot my lead ropes... although a bit different argument. And yes, some folks just like to argue. ;)

I don’t why they started to show that flag for . They aren’t dukes of hazards or from the South. A lot of black southerners display it, too. The only places they should show that flag is in Mississippi or museums or libraries or Six Flags over Texas. It is showing British flag in Philadelphia.

I'm pretty sure I never said that someone could get their heads caught in that loop. The person asked:

I answered it.

Blind and curtain manufacturers give you the option now of having a loop or pull chords. They advice against the loops if you have children or pets. Our school district does not allowed to have non-break-away lanyards because of safety concerns on busses and playgrounds.

I'm pretty sure I never said that someone could get their heads caught in that loop. The person asked:

I answered it.

Blind and curtain manufacturers give you the option now of having a loop or pull chords. They advice against the loops if you have children or pets. Our school district does not allowed to have non-break-away lanyards because of safety concerns on busses and playgrounds.
How does one strangle themselves if it's not over their heads and around their necks? Are there tiny animals in the garage?

The only places they should show that flag is in Mississippi or museums or libraries or Six Flags over Texas. It is showing British flag in Philadelphia.

Six Flags over Texas doesn’t display any confederate flags anymore. The park stop doing that after Charlottesville. They now fly six American flags. And, even when they did fly a CSA flag, it was not the battle flag of the army of Northern Virginia.

Things can get caught in the loop and hung. I'm just telling you what the professional garage door installers told us when they installed our two industrial garage doors. We also have two semi trailers with roll up doors. Both have straight straps for opening and closing the door.
It’s understandable that a company would tell you that, it could absolve them from liability.
I answered it.

Their is a difference, or at least I hope their is, between kids accidentally strangling themselves, and people working on cars at a nascar track of whom I would assume are adults and should be smart enough to not accidentally strangle themselves.
Like “Hey, don’t wrap that cord around your neck.”
If they’re not smart enough for that, then I’m not sure we’re out much, but hey, what do I know.

So now it's "the shape of a noose" that is the problem. He isn't too bright is he, any rope with a loop at the end is in the shape of a noose. Doesn't make it a "non functioning noose".
Good lord Wallace, just suck it up and say that someone over reacted and you are thankful it was found that there was no ill intent behind it, but instead a very practical item used to pull down a garage door.

Did you see the posted statement that it was someone from Richard Petty’s team that found it and reported it? I know next to nothing about racing but even I know he’s considered a god. Does that change your opinion? I know it won’t, but I had to ask anyway.

It’s understandable that a company would tell you that, it could absolve them from liability.

Their is a difference, or at least I hope their is, between kids accidentally strangling themselves, and people working on cars at a nascar track of whom I would assume are adults and should be smart enough to not accidentally strangle themselves.
Like “Hey, don’t wrap that cord around your neck.”
If they’re not smart enough for that, then I’m not sure we’re out much, but hey, what do I know.

Never assume.

Good. Long overdue. I'm not sure why people are obsessed with this loser trophy in the first place. The confederacy lasted for a few years. What "culture" exactly is the flag a celebration of? (I know the answer to that question, but the mental gymnastics that people have used to celebrate a bunch of traitors fighting to own slaves is remarkable.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter