Nassau port of call question - no excursions booked...

NurseRunner79

Earning My Ears
We are going on a 5 night cruise the second week of July. We will be making 2 stops at Castaway Cay, one stop at Nassau, and will have 2 days at sea. This is our first Disney Cruise. There will be 7 of us ranging from ages 4 to 77. We do not have any excursions booked at all. From what I can tell we will probably be ok at Castaway Cay because everyone loves the beach and it seems we will have plenty to keep us busy there both days. Here is my question: is there anything to do in Nassau for 7 people with that big of an age range? None of the excursions through the cruise line seemed to work for us all (a couple looked ok but minimum age was 5). Any recommendations for things we can do on our own? My husband thinks we are going to get bored and not have enough to keep us busy - he's not a "sit by the pool" kind of guy...are we going to end up spending our Nassau day back on the ship because we didn't book an excursion?

There's plenty of things to keep you busy on the ship while you're in Nassau! Don't worry about being bored. : )
Thanks - that's really good know. Do you know if there is anything we could do on our own in Nassau? I think we would all like the opportunity to see a new place if possible!

We are going on a 5 night cruise the second week of July. We will be making 2 stops at Castaway Cay, one stop at Nassau, and will have 2 days at sea. This is our first Disney Cruise. There will be 7 of us ranging from ages 4 to 77. We do not have any excursions booked at all. From what I can tell we will probably be ok at Castaway Cay because everyone loves the beach and it seems we will have plenty to keep us busy there both days. Here is my question: is there anything to do in Nassau for 7 people with that big of an age range? None of the excursions through the cruise line seemed to work for us all (a couple looked ok but minimum age was 5). Any recommendations for things we can do on our own? My husband thinks we are going to get bored and not have enough to keep us busy - he's not a "sit by the pool" kind of guy...are we going to end up spending our Nassau day back on the ship because we didn't book an excursion?

The majority of cruisers will remain on the ship, as Nassau is one of the least popular ports to visit. A lot of cruisers treat Nassau as if it was an additional sea day.

We are planning our first cruise and we are planning on the Nassau Forts and Junkaroo Discovery tour. The reviews are great. It's about $45ish a person if I remember and you visit 2 forts, the Queen's Staircase and a small museum where you learn the history of the Junkaroo festival. That's what we are planning to do to get some culture and not be wandering around on our own. I like the idea of an actual organized tour and it's just a few hours so still plenty of time for other things too.

Thanks - that's really good know. Do you know if there is anything we could do on our own in Nassau? I think we would all like the opportunity to see a new place if possible!

Nassau is not a safe place. I would avoid going on your own. If you can't find excursions that fit your tastes, it might be better to stay on the ship.

There's a pirate museum within walking distance. Like a PP said, we did the Forts and Junkanoo our first time to Nassau. All ages seemed to enjoy the music making and information at the Junkanoo museum and the forts are fun and interesting for all to explore. We did the chocolate making our last time to Nassau which was fabulous, but that might be one your 4 year couldn't do. I know a lot of people say Nassau is not safe, but I have never not felt safe there and I travel as a single mother with my young daughter. I think some people just have a fear of any place that isn't totally "Americanized".

There's a pirate museum within walking distance. Like a PP said, we did the Forts and Junkanoo our first time to Nassau. All ages seemed to enjoy the music making and information at the Junkanoo museum and the forts are fun and interesting for all to explore. We did the chocolate making our last time to Nassau which was fabulous, but that might be one your 4 year couldn't do. I know a lot of people say Nassau is not safe, but I have never not felt safe there and I travel as a single mother with my young daughter. I think some people just have a fear of any place that isn't totally "Americanized".

"Fear" is based on Canada and US travel advisory saying you should "Exercise high degree of caution due to high crime rate" and the crime reports. Even DCL put an advisory on the Personal Navigator.

Was on the Dream and stopped there last week. We decided to go to Atlantis and had a great time. I thought it would be too big and too crowded and a hassle but it ended up being a lot of fun. My five year old loved it and my mom who's age I can't say, enjoyed it as well. We made her go on the Rapids River and it was a blast.

We also had a party of 7, aged 2-70, so quite the range! We did the Nassau Forts and Junkanoo Discovery. If it weren’t as hot as the sun outside it wouldn’t have been so miserable LOL

Here is our trip report for Nassau:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/4...ng-kids-5-23-5-27-2016.3517802/#post-55908213

"Fear" is based on Canada and US travel advisory saying you should "Exercise high degree of caution due to high crime rate" and the crime reports. Even DCL put an advisory on the Personal Navigator.
Spain, Italy, France, Germany, Belgium, and the United Kingdom are all at the same level of advisory as the Bahamas (according to the department of state). Different reasons, but still the same level. I bet you wouldn't advise people to avoid going on their own to those countries. If it was that unsafe, Disney wouldn't go there and neither would the other cruise ships. All of them say exercise caution, probably just as you'd do in some of the major cities of the United States.

. I know a lot of people say Nassau is not safe, but I have never not felt safe there and I travel as a single mother with my young daughter. I think some people just have a fear of any place that isn't totally "Americanized".

This was 8 years ago.

We went on a carnival Cruise, didn't book an excursion and were told there was a free access beach within walking distance.

While we were there, a man with hugely bloodshot eyes tried to sell us conch shells for $5.00 apiece. About an hour later he was wandering around without pants.

On our way back to the ship, another man with bloodshot eyes approached us, DH (my hero) sped up while I stopped and said, "I'm sorry, I didn't catch that?" And he repeated his question: "Do you want to buy some crack?"

I said "No thank you." And joined DH who was standing there staring at me incrediously. Apparently he heard the first time and thought I was still beside him.

This was all in sight of the ship.

Since you don't want to hang out at a pool/beach, I'd recommend this walking tour - https://www.frommers.com/destinations/new-providence/walking-tours. We did this when my daughter was young and really enjoyed it. Not sure if it's too much for the 77 year old though...especially since it will be hot! We've been to Nassau a bunch of times and never had any issues. I'd recommend at least getting off the ship just to walk around town, go to the straw market, pirate museum...

This was 8 years ago.

We went on a carnival Cruise, didn't book an excursion and were told there was a free access beach within walking distance.

While we were there, a man with hugely bloodshot eyes tried to sell us conch shells for $5.00 apiece. About an hour later he was wandering around without pants.

On our way back to the ship, another man with bloodshot eyes approached us, DH (my hero) sped up while I stopped and said, "I'm sorry, I didn't catch that?" And he repeated his question: "Do you want to buy some crack?"

I said "No thank you." And joined DH who was standing there staring at me incrediously. Apparently he heard the first time and thought I was still beside him.

This was all in sight of the ship.
If this happened to me it would definitely turn me off of going onshore at a port.

Overall, I'd say that staying in the touristy area around the port should be relatively safe, but as illustrated here, it's not a guarantee. If a cruise line or country issues an advisory, do not dismiss it out of hand. If you go on shore, just stay alert and be aware of your surroundings.

In addition to the Pirate's Museum you could also walk up to the Queen's Staircase and Fort Fincastle from the ship and it's a well traveled route that a lot of fellow cruisers take. It may be a bit of a walk for your Mum, it depends on how active she is, and also it will be hot so take that into consideration. The best day we had in Nassau was when I booked a private tour with Sandra Ferguson (you can google her - Sandra Ferguson Nassau). She was great and we customized the tour to our liking - it was a perfect day. The price isn't bad if you have a large enough group, it's comparable to any DCL excursion. I wrote a trip report and the portion about that tour is here if you are interested.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/3...ahamas-completed.3579077/page-3#post-57172908

Spain, Italy, France, Germany, Belgium, and the United Kingdom are all at the same level of advisory as the Bahamas (according to the department of state). Different reasons, but still the same level. I bet you wouldn't advise people to avoid going on their own to those countries. If it was that unsafe, Disney wouldn't go there and neither would the other cruise ships. All of them say exercise caution, probably just as you'd do in some of the major cities of the United States.

Well... You'd be shocked by the number of people around me (in Canada) that decided to cancel their plans to travel to the United Kingdom and France because of the threat of terrorism (most of them, actually.)

I mean, regarding Nassau, you don't have to believe me but I'd recommend you read the crime reports...

P.s.: Italy, Spain and Germany are listed under "Exercise normal security precautions".

All you have to see is the armed soldiers stationed at the port to understand what the crime level is like. Once you exit the guarded port entry/exit, you are hounded by people selling tours, discounted tickets, promoting stores and places to drink and dine. This went on for at least 2 blocks around the port. The rebuilt straw market was even worse.

Caution should always be used when visiting places like Nassau or even Times Square. I am sure many Disney Cruisers are getting off the ship and automagically think they are getting off the boat/Monorail at WDW and walking down Main Street. I have felt perfectly fine walking with either my wife or daughter around the immediate port area including the often maligned Straw Market. My wife is as international buyer and loved negotiating with the vendors. There is actually some nice stuff in there among the cheap t shirts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter