National Geographic Expeditions?

Does anyone know of a source for trip reports like we do for ABD but for National Geographic Expeditions? I'm debating between Egypt with ABD and Egypt with Nat Geo, and there's so much more info out there for ABD!
Hey Raya, I think you and I are doing similar research right now, LOL. I'm debating between Viking, Amawaterways, ABD and Nat Geo. I was leaning Viking/Nat Geo, but I cam across some pretty bad reviews for Nat Geo since COVID/Disney takeover. https://www.yelp.com/biz/expeditions-with-national-geographic-washington Nat Geo has a great itinerary, but the reviews jellied me. I'm leaning Viking right now as we don't have much interest in Sharm (ABD) and would prefer to spend more time seeing the archaeological sites. I think ABD misses the Valley of the Queens, too. My only hesitation with Viking is the older crowd since we'd be traveling with my adult kids (23 and 26 now).
But they have a great deposit thing going now ($25 per person).

Hey Raya, I think you and I are doing similar research right now, LOL. I'm debating between Viking, Amawaterways, ABD and Nat Geo. I was leaning Viking/Nat Geo, but I cam across some pretty bad reviews for Nat Geo since COVID/Disney takeover. https://www.yelp.com/biz/expeditions-with-national-geographic-washington Nat Geo has a great itinerary, but the reviews jellied me. I'm leaning Viking right now as we don't have much interest in Sharm (ABD) and would prefer to spend more time seeing the archaeological sites. I think ABD misses the Valley of the Queens, too. My only hesitation with Viking is the older crowd since we'd be traveling with my adult kids (23 and 26 now).
Yep our research is the same! I'm also almost ruling out ABD because Sharm seems like a waste of time, especially when there's so much they don't go see.

I like Viking, but they book 2 years in advance, and their audience tends to be much older. Not sure I want to be the youngest in the room. Also, we don't drink at all and don't enjoy alcohol based events so I'm looking to avoid those.

I've read some rough reviews for food on AMA but that's my only problem there.

I hadn't found any detailed reviewed on the Nat Geo, except that inner-country flights aren't included and it looks like there are a few of them.

That's sad. The Galapagos trip I took with Nat Geo in 2011 (before Disney) was the best trip I've ever taken.

Yep our research is the same! I'm also almost ruling out ABD because Sharm seems like a waste of time, especially when there's so much they don't go see.

I like Viking, but they book 2 years in advance, and their audience tends to be much older. Not sure I want to be the youngest in the room. Also, we don't drink at all and don't enjoy alcohol based events so I'm looking to avoid those.

I've read some rough reviews for food on AMA but that's my only problem there.

I hadn't found any detailed reviewed on the Nat Geo, except that inner-country flights aren't included and it looks like there are a few of them.
Totally agree about Sharm being not a good use of time. We actually went ahead and booked Viking for Christmas '25. They are having a special deposit right now for $25 a person, so it isn't much risk. Pay in full is 2/24 so we have some time to figure it out. I really like their itinerary and the ships look fabulous (we'll be on one that is coming at the end of this year). We are in our mid-50s and the kids are 23 and 26. We figure that with the holiday time there might be other families and I think this trip should skew a little "younger" due to how active it is. My kids love older folks so as long as it isn't too slow on and off buses, LOL, I think we'll be fine. I didn't see any drink related things in their itinerary. I do drink, but my husband doesn't. They don't even do drink packages on the Nile trips--they originally sold them but were told they had to stop.
That's sad. The Galapagos trip I took with Nat Geo in 2011 (before Disney) was the best trip I've ever taken.
I know. I was very disheartened to read the reviews. I've been on two hiking Nat Geo trips pre-COVID and both were fantastic. I would think it was a one-off, but there were a lot of negative reviews on there.

Have you looked over on CruiseCriti
Not sure if this was for me, but yes, I've been devouring cruise critic. Reviews of hte news ships are really good for Viking. One compliant about a hotel but that seems a one off as Trip Advisor reviews are good. Hotels for our trip haven't been set yet, but I will be watching that.

Has anyone done the Swiss Train expedition? We’re booked for June and would appreciate any tips.
Thanks!

Has anyone done the Swiss Train expedition? We’re booked for June and would appreciate any tips.
Thanks!

Why do you need a "tour" for a train trip? You can book on-line trains like the Swiss Glacier Express and go anytime.

-Paul

Why do you need a "tour" for a train trip? You can book on-line trains like the Swiss Glacier Express and go anytime.

-Paul
If you book the train online, does it include excursions? Guides? Experts to explain what you're seeing? Does it include a private boat for a scenic cruise across Lake Como and touring the Como Cathedral with a private guide? Does it allow you to meet an Italian chef for a cooking demonstration in picturesque Varenna and enjoy a private chocolate tasting at a patisserie in St. Moritz? Or hear stories of the earliest attempts to conquer Switzerland’s most iconic peak from a local mountaineer and an Alpine historian during a special visit to the Matterhorn Museum? Does it include, throughout your trip, staying in ideally located, high-end hotels with many amenities? Would your accommodations include 6 nights at traditional, Alpine-style hotels in Switzerland and 3 nights at a historic 19th-century hotel overlooking Lake Como? Maybe that's why.

Sayhello

-Paul
Maybe I’m getting to an age where I still like to learn things besides just experiencing them. I love Switzerland and have toured much of it when I was younger. This helps cover the bit I never made it to.

Maybe I’m getting to an age where I still like to learn things besides just experiencing them....

You will learn *more* by doing your own trip. For example, you will need to research the Swiss rail network, the different rail companies, the various rail gages, rack and pinion tracks, train passes, etc.

Why stay in a sterile luxury hotel when you can stay in the spare bedroom of a local Swiss family that cooks you a homemade breakfast?

As with most things, the more effort that you put into something, the greater the reward.

-Paul

Why stay in a sterile luxury hotel when you can stay in the spare bedroom of a local Swiss family that cooks you a homemade breakfast?
Because I know the luxury hotel will have accessible bathrooms, elevators for when walking is difficult, and (usually) a restaurant that can handle my diet restrictions. Respectfully, there's a lot of ableism in your position. Some of us need to have a safety net for when health things go sideways. While that imaginary local Swiss family might want to help, they probably wouldn't be able to get me the help I need the way ABD can.

Totally agree about Sharm being not a good use of time. We actually went ahead and booked Viking for Christmas '25. They are having a special deposit right now for $25 a person, so it isn't much risk. Pay in full is 2/24 so we have some time to figure it out. I really like their itinerary and the ships look fabulous (we'll be on one that is coming at the end of this year). We are in our mid-50s and the kids are 23 and 26. We figure that with the holiday time there might be other families and I think this trip should skew a little "younger" due to how active it is. My kids love older folks so as long as it isn't too slow on and off buses, LOL, I think we'll be fine. I didn't see any drink related things in their itinerary. I do drink, but my husband doesn't. They don't even do drink packages on the Nile trips--they originally sold them but were told they had to stop.

I know. I was very disheartened to read the reviews. I've been on two hiking Nat Geo trips pre-COVID and both were fantastic. I would think it was a one-off, but there were a lot of negative reviews on there.

I've been on two Viking ocean cruises with Viking (early 50s). In some ways their more elderly population does get slightly frustrating after 10-15 days (we've done Australia/NZ and Adriatic) since they do things like SPEAK LOUDLY IN PUBLIC AREAS ON IPADS TO THEIR GRANDCHILDREN (a self admitted pet peeve), sometimes aren't as kind to servers as I'd like (okay another pet peeve :blush:, and just move slowly:snail:. That said, on both ocean cruises, I've met some amazing families with younger adult children and enjoyed time with them. I really enjoy the Viking (ocean) product and hope, if you do go, you'll have a wonderful time and report back :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter