Natural Disasters

2China2009

Mouseketeer
Just a few observations about natural disasters. Why are there so many people that stay in their home when told to leave? You have teams of rescuers trying to save lives and here they are evacuating people from over 10 feet of water. Or forest fires when rescuers are trying to get to those to safety and putting their lives in danger for those who do not heed the warnings. My home can be rebuilt, but not my family if we were to die.

I have no idea. They seem to think they are immune to these dangers. We were close to be evacuated due to fire a few years ago. We packed up the precious and waited. Thankfully the fire was able to be controlled, but we were ready to leave everything behind.

Well, I cannot speak for all people who may choose to stay, but I know for some people it's out of concern for their pets. Is it wise to sacrifice your own life for an animal's? That's a question that someone needs to answer for themselves, and I can't bring myself to judge them for their choice (whichever it may be). Last December when California was suffering from all those wildfires, one took a surprise turn towards a horse training facility. The workers did everything they could to give those horses a chance, some of them running into flaming barns to try and drag the animals out. I know one trainer got 3rd degrees burns on a lot of her body and was in a medically induced coma for weeks because she tried so hard to save a filly of which she was particularly fond.

I know that doesn't entirely answer your question, but it's one answer.

It's complicated.

I live in a hurricane prone area. Our family has lived here for 300 years. We are resilient people who have hurricane prep in our DNA. We know our risk and limits. Up to category 2, we easily stay. Beyond a 2, we assess the direction it's coming to the east or west of us (being on one side or another makes a difference in impact) and discuss the factors specific to the storm and our family.

We live 10 miles inland. When Katrina was projected to come, we were staying at our house until I awoke to a report that winds hit 155 mph while still offshore and predicted to increase. Jumped up, packed up and called my brother and mom who did the same. Storm was abt 18 hours away when we left. Tornadoes spin off and impacts are not just for those who live on the shore.

Many others can not afford to jump up and evacuate. Gas, food, a place to stay (if one can be found) are all expensive. Waiting on the interstate for 10 hours for a 2 hour trip due to everyone evacuating -folks run out of gas, have medical situations, etc.

Local shelters crowded with a few hundred odd people are not a pleasant place to be. Some take care of family who have medical needs and are not easily moved.

Others are essential personnel and must stay for work. Others have crappy jobs they have to stay to report for so they don't lose it.

Some stay to protect homes and businesses from looters and to shore up damage ASAP. We were fortunate to get back home the day after Katrina. Shortly after we got back home, the interstate we just traveled had to be closed to incoming traffic due to damage and debris. We were glad to be in our home, even though it was hot as he## and we had no power. Nothing like the comfort of your own humble place in a disaster.

I was able to clean out the nasty refrigerator and keep it from becoming an issue. We were able to start making repairs on our roof and help family and neighbors start their repairs and clean up.

Some don't listen to forecasts, or trust forecasts-false alarms happen. News people overly hype a storm and the next one, people don't listen because they were wrong before.

Last edited:
Some people are afraid they won’t be permitted back to an effected area until days after danger has passed. Or they are elderly or disabled and have a hard time moving. Or they have pets, or are scared. They are afraid looters may come while they are gone. Many many reasons.

I think it depends on the type of disaster & individual circumstances. If we had a fire threat, I'd evacuate immediately. Then again, we've never had a fire threat. Hurricane warnings aren't as cut & dry. The Weather Channel has cried wolf so many times it's hard to take their forecast seriously. They exaggerate everything for ratings & can't be trusted. We pay more attention to local news, but even their info isn't always accurate. They all appear to be incapable of accurate forecasting on a consistent basis.

When we lived 35 to 40 minutes drive from the Gulf in the Tampa area, I never considered evacuating. Our home was built sturdy enough to withstand a storm that made landfall that far away. We kept our trees & bushes trimmed well enough for them to not be a danger. We now live 2 miles from the Atlantic & did evacuate for Irma. They were forecasting the eye of the storm to come directly over our home, which would have been devastating to our area. Unsurprisingly, they were wrong, but I'm still very glad we evacuated. Our neighborhood suffered damage. Some homes had a lot of damage. We were blessed to be one of the few that didn't have any damage. Regardless, a week & a half to two weeks after the storm was a nightmare. There was no electricity. We tried finding a hotel with electricity. There wasn't one within an hour of us in any direction that had availability. The few hotels running on generators were all full. Even those had limited power in certain areas. Finding food was almost impossible. We had to search for restaurants that had food & take whatever they had, which was extremely limited. We live in a major tourist area, so there are 100s of restaurants nearby. That doesn't help when a very small percentage of restaurants are able to preserve the food they have & have adequate generators to prepare it. Needless to say, as long as we live here, we will evacuate, if there's a serious threat. The main thing we learned from that experience was to stay away at least two weeks after the storm.

Funny, one of the first debates I got into here was with a poster from Minnesota,or maybe it was Michigan, about people not evacuating in Katrina.

Sometimes it isn’t just cut and dried to evacuate. I can say that I THINK, if evacuation was due to fire, I wouldn’t hesitate. But then maybe it’s because I am used to hurricanes and not to fires. I don’t know.

I do know in Katrina it was a last minute decision for us. My fil decided to go further north (we are an hour from the coast) and he never evacuated for any storm before. When dh saw he was worried, we packed up. We got home to trees being just piled up around our house-blessedly missing the house. We had to use a chain saw to cut our way into the driveway.

Ods was supposed to crew change on the rig the day it hit so he wouldn’t t leave his house. If he had been able to get to the rig, he had to go. There was no way of knowing what would be happening where the rig was. So he didn’t evacuate. So I guess there is one reason-a job. His house didn’t even have a limb in the yard! He lived 15 minutes to the north of us. As soon as the wind stopped, he headed to work with guys in pick up trucks cutting the trees out of the highway ahead of him.

I do know that others on the coast just didn’t believe it would be as bad as it was maybe? Some of those houses had withstood Camille in 69 and countless storms before and after. Who could have foretold that those beautiful 100 year old houses would be gone?

Besides, to evacuate you have to have somewhere to go, a way to get there and money. Something some people just don’t have.

Older people don’t like the idea of going to a shelter, they just want to stay in their home. Folks with anxiety about being in a crowd are the same way. And yes, those with pets have a hard time making the decision.

And some people have lived in their home for so many years, and their family before them lived in it. They feel like they are leaving family by leaving their home. It’s just a hard choice whether to go or stay and try to protect their home.

I live in the Houston area which is often impacted by hurricanes in the gulf. As a PP stated, ALL storms are over hyped on the news and hard to take them seriously. For example, several years ago when Hurricane Rita hit, we evacuated a couple days before, and there was pretty much zero damage done to our neighborhood.
Flash forward to Hurricane Harvey just this past year, my family did not evacuate. I do not live at home anymore and I wasn't near the storm, so I wasn't involved in this. However, as many of you know, Harvey was actually WAY worse than anyone predicted. Our house did flood but thankfully my family was okay. My mom, brother, and dog were evacuated by boat, but my dad chose to stay because he was afraid of looters. Harvey was almost a year ago and our house still isn't finished being repaired. This hurricane season better show mercy on us!

It's complicated.

I live in a hurricane prone area. Our family has lived here for 300 years. We are resilient people who have hurricane prep in our DNA. We know our risk and limits. Up to category 2, we easily stay. Beyond a 2, we assess the direction it's coming to the east or west of us (being on one side or another makes a difference in impact) and discuss the factors specific to the storm and our family.

We live 10 miles inland. When Katrina was projected to come, we were staying at our house until I awoke to a report that winds hit 155 mph while still offshore and predicted to increase. Jumped up, packed up and called my brother and mom who did the same. Storm was abt 18 hours away when we left. Tornadoes spin off and impacts are not just for those who live on the shore.

Many others can not afford to jump up and evacuate. Gas, food, a place to stay (if one can be found) are all expensive. Waiting on the interstate for 10 hours for a 2 hour trip due to everyone evacuating -folks run out of gas, have medical situations, etc.

Local shelters crowded with a few hundred odd people are not a pleasant place to be. Some take care of family who have medical needs and are not easily moved.

Others are essential personnel and must stay for work. Others have crappy jobs they have to stay to report for so they don't lose it.

Some stay to protect homes and businesses from looters and to shore up damage ASAP. We were fortunate to get back home the day after Katrina. Shortly after we got back home, the interstate we just traveled had to be closed to incoming traffic due to damage and debris. We were glad to be in our home, even though it was hot as he## and we had no power. Nothing like the comfort of your own humble place in a disaster.

I was able to clean out the nasty refrigerator and keep it from becoming an issue. We were able to start making repairs on our roof and help family and neighbors start their repairs and clean up.

Some don't listen to forecasts, or trust forecasts-false alarms happen. News people overly hype a storm and the next one, people don't listen because they were wrong before.
Very well put & for Katrina, most who remained were ppl who didn’t have a choice but to stay. Many paid the ultimate price so I try to think about that before I get all judgey about what ppl do. Procedures in evacuation policies were actually changed nationwide b/c of Katrina. Like you said, it’s still a complicated decision to evacuate even now depending on the prediction. We used to stay for a 2 or below, but after some recent storms, we have debated even that. And the time to plan to leave etc is limited. Businesses, schools, etc often don’t make the decision to close until the last minute too. So it’s not like we can all take a week vacay until we know where the storm is going. And intensity is the least reliable of the forecast so sometimes you think your staying for a Cat 1 & the thing comes on as a strong Cat 2. Also, what made Katrina so bad was that some levees broke. If that doesn’t happen, the storm itself wasn’t as bad for Nola. MS took the brunt. After Katrina, I never judge anyone’s plans to stay. Thankfully, all of my family & friends got out, but there were times in most of their lives when they would not have had the resources to leave.

I live in the Houston area which is often impacted by hurricanes in the gulf. As a PP stated, ALL storms are over hyped on the news and hard to take them seriously. For example, several years ago when Hurricane Rita hit, we evacuated a couple days before, and there was pretty much zero damage done to our neighborhood.
Flash forward to Hurricane Harvey just this past year, my family did not evacuate. I do not live at home anymore and I wasn't near the storm, so I wasn't involved in this. However, as many of you know, Harvey was actually WAY worse than anyone predicted. Our house did flood but thankfully my family was okay. My mom, brother, and dog were evacuated by boat, but my dad chose to stay because he was afraid of looters. Harvey was almost a year ago and our house still isn't finished being repaired. This hurricane season better show mercy on us!
Another good point. Our hurricane plan has always been to go to Baton Rouge to a friend’s house b/c it’s usually far enough inland for hurricanes (that’s where we all were for Katrina & Rita & did fine). But 2 years ago they had major flooding after just a lot of heavy rain so now we think it’s better to stay put unless it’s a major storm. And where do we go with a baby, 2 dogs, & a cat?! Not safe to go east or west b/c of the unpredictability of the storm. So then it’s north with EVERYONE else. We need to make sure the threat is real before we go through all that!

I have no idea. When I lived in Florida every time a direct hit was possible for a hurricane I left. I had a second office in the Midwest so I went to work there. If I didn't have one I would have just worked remotely. All I needed was a laptop and VPN. Better safe than sorry.

Now I live somewhere with no real natural disasters but if I was asked to evacuate I would. It isn't worth the risk.

I have no idea. When I lived in Florida every time a direct hit was possible for a hurricane I left. I had a second office in the Midwest so I went to work there. If I didn't have one I would have just worked remotely. All I needed was a laptop and VPN. Better safe than sorry.

Now I live somewhere with no real natural disasters but if I was asked to evacuate I would. It isn't worth the risk.
But, I’m assuming you’re not a fixed-income disabled elderly person with limited resources, right? So then, perhaps, it safe to assume you had the luxury to be able to be “safe than sorry”? For many residents in these areas, leaving every time there might be a direct hit is impossible.

Another good point. Our hurricane plan has always been to go to Baton Rouge to a friend’s house b/c it’s usually far enough inland for hurricanes (that’s where we all were for Katrina & Rita & did fine). But 2 years ago they had major flooding after just a lot of heavy rain so now we think it’s better to stay put unless it’s a major storm. And where do we go with a baby, 2 dogs, & a cat?! Not safe to go east or west b/c of the unpredictability of the storm. So then it’s north with EVERYONE else. We need to make sure the threat is real before we go through all that!

We live an hour north of Waveland MS and we evacuated another hour further north. Although ODS didn't have a limb down in his yard, we lost so many trees we were truly blessed that our house wasn't damaged. Our drive home was a huge undertaking as we had to wait for the trees to be cut from the highway (it was local guys with chain saws so lots of stopping to help too) same with DS trying to go south into Louisiana to go to work. Power was out literally from the coast to the capital because of the extreme damage to lines.

Had Katrina taken a more westwardly track before she made landfall, in Baton Rouge, you would have been right in the path.

So, that is the other thing for hurricanes. Where to go. Hard to know if you are moving out of the way or just staying in it or moving into the path.

Sounds like you have a great job for disasters. Most aren't so lucky.

But, I’m assuming you’re not a fixed-income disabled elderly person with limited resources, right? So then, perhaps, it safe to assume you had the luxury to be able to be “safe than sorry”? For many residents in these areas, leaving every time there might be a direct hit is impossible.
I agree and disagree.

Without a doubt there are people who truly truly lack the ability to hole up somewhere else until it passes. But there is also without a doubt people who opt to stay for one reason or another or try to leave when it's already too late.

I think assuming everyone is of one category (whichever category you choose) and only that one category is a problem.

I'll agree with what everyone has already said about hurricanes. I grew up on the Gulf coast in the 1960's, and we never evacuated from our small blue-collar town; it just wasn't something that people did back then -- the assumption was that it was beyond most peoples' means to do so. The standard practice was to move your car up onto high ground (Dad jacked ours up in the garage with winches and steel plates under the wheels), move the rest of your belongings to the highest point possible in your home, board your windows, fill every container that you could with fresh water and ice, fill up the kerosene lanterns, and hunker down. Our homes were elevated on piers and built to take hard winds. After Betsy we didn't have power for a month, and the water was 3 feet deep in the yard at first; I remember standing on the screened porch minding the dog and watching the wader-wearing adults cleaning up debris.

I think fires are a special case, because very few people truly understand how wildfire behaves or how powerful it really is unless they have been close to it before. It's very unpredictable and lightning fast, so often by the time it turns your way it may already be too late to run very far.

Also, another note about hurricanes; where you are may well determine what kind of storm you can realistically evacuate for. There is the issue of getting out, and also the issue of getting back in, and while most of us here might have the means to leave for a few days, very few people can afford to wait weeks to go home, which often can happen when bridges wash out. As previously noted, sometimes the only way back in is by boat, IF the USCG will let you. When that happens you usually can't carry in fuel or vehicles, and fuel is more precious than gold after hurricanes. For many people, the idea of having a home completely ruined &/or looted is unbearably frightening; they nay honestly prefer to take a chance on dying over that. The thing is, if you can protect yourself from the storm surge, the rest is usually manageable with proper precautions, so if you are not in the surge zone, staying is really not an overly risky choice in areas that are experienced with storms. Evacuating often is very risky if you have to do it by road, because of issues with traffic and inability to refuel; riding out a CAT3 in a car on an interstate is a heck of a lot worse than riding it out in a solidly-built elevated house. (Modern bedroom communities are too often built with only one route in or out, which can cause traffic to bottleneck badly. Given my history with storms, I won't live anywhere that can't be reached from at least 3 different directions.)

FWIW, I'll take hurricane country over Tornado Alley any day. I cannot tell you how terrifying it is to be awakened by a siren at 2 am and be unable to wake teens well enough to get them down 2 flights of stairs to safety.

Last edited:

Not being able to evacuate and choosing not to are apples and oranges. I was speaking to the latter.

Last edited:
As others have indicated...there are so many factors in this decision and the kind of storm you're facing.

My parents used to live in the St. Pete Beach area...lvl 1 evacuation zone...and they never wanted to leave because the majority of the shelters wouldn't take pets. Thankfully, they missed direct hits from storms when they lived there. Fast forward to this past fall...they now live Ft Lauderdale area and I was doing all that I could to convince them to evacuate for Hurricane Irma. They are farther inland, so they're not in an evacuation zone. Still, since FL isn't like other states, they don't evacuate as many areas that other states with more inland areas would be able to do. Part of it was the traffic and gas situation. They didn't want to be stranded along the way with no gas, since that would make them even more vulnerable. They also knew that they might not get back in for some time if roads were blocked with downed trees and power lines...which means risk of looters. They made it out of this with minor damage and had no power for over a week, but it's still better than when they went through Wilma. And maybe that's part of it...if you've been through one intense storm, you may not want to evacuate for another.

For me, I've lived in the Houston area for over 20 years. I TRIED to evacuate for Rita back in 2005. It took me all day to make it to the northern side of the Houston area and there was no end in sight to the traffic jam and gas stations were running dry. I remember sitting in traffic and getting a call from my dad (he's got a couple meteorology degrees) and he suggested we turn around to head home...that the storm had lost some of its intensity and wasn't looking like a direct hit from his readings. We got home in about 45 min and I think we got a few sprinkles and a gust blew over a plastic patio chair. I would have felt ridiculous if I made it all the way to central OK (the closest hotel I could find) and had that happen with the storm. Fast forward to Hurricane Ike...we had moved, were living in a mandatory evac county, and I was 8.5 months pregnant plus had a 2 yr old. We probably could have stayed (many did), but the mayor at the time had the sense to open up all kinds of contraflow to allow for easier evacuation. We evacuated to my FIL's in the Austin area. We came home to some minor roof and fence damage, but knew many others who weren't as lucky...and anyone we knew that left Galveston couldn't get back. I think it was months before they could get back over the causeway. So, these are all things that weigh on people's minds when this comes up.

Rita and Ike were both windstorms, and it's more normal to evacuate for a windstorm. Hurricane Harvey and Tropical Storm Alison were primarily rain events. I think Alison blindsided everyone, but it (and some other floods) better prepared people for Harvey...at least to some degree. Nobody was ready for what Harvey did. While we were fortunate and didn't flood, my area of town was badly flooded. Less than a quarter of a mile and some elevation differences separated us from devastation. Sadly, some of our neighbors had big oaks slice through their homes due to saturated soil not being able to hold the roots...which has us thinking about leaving town if we do have a windstorm (heavily wooded burb). I'm sure plenty of people would have left for Harvey if they knew we'd get 50+ inches of rain and that they'd release epic amounts of water from the dam in the river above us. Same thing with my friends and coworkers who flooded from the water being released from reservoirs. Now you may ask...why were some refusing rescue after the water got bad and people on boats were coming in...and I can say looting is a big part of it. During the times when we did have power, there were all kinds of stories of idiots starting to loot. Plus, people who had 2-story homes felt like they could get to work right away once the water receded.

Ultimately, it's hard to know what you'd really do until you're faced with the situation and since every situation is different, you may not do the same thing for each disaster.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter