Nautical charts

DisneYE

DIS Veteran
When I'm on a cruise I love to just sit on my verandah reading, with a drink nearby, sometimes for hours.
I also like to watch the ocean and have an idea of where the ship is.
I've used the map the stateroom TV has, then go outside and think about that particular location

But is there like an app or a set of charts I can download on my phone or iPad that gives more detailed nautical information?
I know there are a few with GPS, but that won't work on the ship..
Is there an option to download detailed charts of a specific region for use offline?

Interesting question. Wondering if GPS would work on the ship if you were on your balcony or top deck even if the phone is on airplane mode.

If you go to NOAA & Nautical charts, you'll see a section on ENC charts (electronic navigational charts) that we use when navigating our ships for the US Navy, USCG & are also used by commercial vessels. You'll need the viewer, but these are the real deal that professional mariners use at sea. Not sure if there's an app for the ENCs. Oh, it's also free.

I'm sure that there's a lower fidelity app for the phone that can be downloaded, but the accuracy would most likely be suspect. Then again, you're not on the bridge of the Fantasy giving rudder orders to avoid shoal water, so it's not as critical to have the most accurate.

Little note, you can order paper charts from NOAA (for a fee). TBH, they're gorgeous. I have a few older ones that have special meaning framed on my walls in my office.

If you go to NOAA & Nautical charts, you'll see a section on ENC charts (electronic navigational charts) that we use when navigating our ships for the US Navy, USCG & are also used by commercial vessels. You'll need the viewer, but these are the real deal that professional mariners use at sea. Not sure if there's an app for the ENCs. Oh, it's also free.

I'm sure that there's a lower fidelity app for the phone that can be downloaded, but the accuracy would most likely be suspect. Then again, you're not on the bridge of the Fantasy giving rudder orders to avoid shoal water, so it's not as critical to have the most accurate.

Little note, you can order paper charts from NOAA (for a fee). TBH, they're gorgeous. I have a few older ones that have special meaning framed on my walls in my office.

Thank you so much! I will try this out...
Our upcoming cruise is next week so I won't be able to order the paper charts, but I will for other cruises.

In Feb 2020 I stayed up all night on the Wonder coming back up the Mississippi and also watched us on marinetraffic.com. It was great fun. I was sitting in the smoking area behind the bridge and one of the two river pilots (taking turns) would come up for a smoke and talk for a while. Those guys make 500-750k per year!

In Feb 2020 I stayed up all night on the Wonder coming back up the Mississippi and also watched us on marinetraffic.com. It was great fun. I was sitting in the smoking area behind the bridge and one of the two river pilots (taking turns) would come up for a smoke and talk for a while. Those guys make 500-750k per year!

Thanks for this. We are sailing out of NOLA next year and are looking forward to seeing how they navigate the river. A little more challenging job for a pilot than coming out of PC!

Despite the DCL ads that say "Discover uncharted magic", I really hope they've got a good set of charts up on the bridge. GPS is great, but paper can't be hacked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter