• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Navi rope drop followed by Kilimanjaro Safari. What to expect?

studiojmm

Mouseketeer
We had a last minute change of plans that flip-flopped our MK and AK days this week. Consequently we are headed to AK in the morning with no preplanned FP+. Our only ride priorities are Navi River and Kilimanjaro Safari. While I can try to FP+ in the morning, I haven't been having ANY luck this week getting anything we've cared about day-of (with the exception of Soarin'). So I'm trying to set expectations. If we head for Navi River at rope drop, when can we expect to get to Kilimanjaro Safari? Any other thoughts?

I'd try to get there before rope drop. They let people into Pandora early, so you're going to have to move with the flood of people going to FoP for a little while before you split towards Navi River Journey. It won't take long for you to get done at Navi, but there's still going to be a big line at FoP, so you probably won't be able to utilize the path connecting Pandora and Festival of the Lion King. If that happens, then you'll have to leave Pandora the way you came in.

Maybe you'll get to Safari's around 9:30/10? I'm not sure. You'll probably be walking more than you're in the que.

I'd try to get there before rope drop. They let people into Pandora early
+1 to this. If you get on Navi before the park officially opens you won’t have any FastPassers to deal with either.

Just double check the ride hours. On many days in the winter (but not all), the park opens at a certain time and the Safari opens later, sometimes as much as an hour later.

Also, if AK is scheduled to open at 8am or earlier, Safari tends to open around 9am. Check the hours. If that's the case, maybe take a quick stop at expedition or dinosaur.

If you are there early enough that you are on Navi before official park open, then I would ride it at least twice before heading to the Safari. It could be walk-on (or close to it) both times, and you will still not have a long wait for the Safari.

I'd try to get there before rope drop. They let people into Pandora early, so you're going to have to move with the flood of people going to FoP for a little while before you split towards Navi River Journey. It won't take long for you to get done at Navi, but there's still going to be a big line at FoP, so you probably won't be able to utilize the path connecting Pandora and Festival of the Lion King. If that happens, then you'll have to leave Pandora the way you came in.

Maybe you'll get to Safari's around 9:30/10? I'm not sure. You'll probably be walking more than you're in the que.
We rode Navi at rope drop because we had FOP fast passes. Although the line for FOP was long, they let us go through it to get to the Safari on the path that leads from Pandora to Africa.

you want to be there about 30 minutes before opening time.
You should have almost walk on to Navi followed by nearly walk on at Safari.
In october, we did Navi at RD, walked to Dinosaur, then EE twice and walked over to SAfari. Had a 10 minute wait at SAfari.

you want to be there about 30 minutes before opening time.
You should have almost walk on to Navi followed by nearly walk on at Safari.
In october, we did Navi at RD, walked to Dinosaur, then EE twice and walked over to SAfari. Had a 10 minute wait at SAfari.

Exactly this. If they open Navi about 15 minutes early as usual you can be off the ride even before 9 and maybe ride a second time. Safari willl likely be 10-30 minutes at most dependingon whether you Navi a 2nd time. Note you'll likely have to go the long way to safari as the path from Pandora to Africa is usually closed the first hour while it’s used for the FoP line.

Thanks all. We got to the turnstiles just a few minutes before official opening, so not exactly a walk-on, but pretty close for Navi. The walk over to Kilimanjaro was pretty slow, both due to dawdling and needing to wait for a break in the FOP line. Ended up waiting about 45 minutes there, in part due to ride delays allegedly due to animals in the path.

Exactly this. If they open Navi about 15 minutes early as usual you can be off the ride even before 9 and maybe ride a second time. Safari willl likely be 10-30 minutes at most dependingon whether you Navi a 2nd time. Note you'll likely have to go the long way to safari as the path from Pandora to Africa is usually closed the first hour while it’s used for the FoP line.
The path to Africa was not closed, but we did have to wait for cast members to open a gap in the lines.

Can you go a different way to Navi so you don't have to deal with the FOP rope drop crowds? This is my plan for mid-March

Can you go a different way to Navi so you don't have to deal with the FOP rope drop crowds? This is my plan for mid-March
Everyone has to go in to Pandora accross the bridge in the morning. Stay to the left after the bridge to get to Navi River.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter