NBA at Walt Disney World

lockdowns are almost gone

Not sure where you are but they aren't almost gone where I'm at or a lot of places.

I'd be curious to see the numbers for hockey, while always lower than thr nba, they are doing the same thing amd are on national tv. Baseball's been messing with the times too but not as much. But games starting at 630 or 4 during the week instead of 7/730 is weird but I think travel has a lot to do with it and I don't think they can shower at the stadium so that means they have to go back to the hotel before flying out.

Before this, all the news was the NFL was adamently opposed to any bubble at any point...but now, it's starting to thaw towards bubbles maybe being a good thing at least in part...

And yet somehow college football thinks they are going to be able to play AND put fans in the stands. You cannot bubble college students who arn't getting paid.

As evidenced by schools already shutting down just days after starting.

and at the same time my school just yesterday released plans for tickets and are contacting donors today for them to opt-in or opt-out. Where I am we are still moving full steam ahead.

and at the same time my school just yesterday released plans for tickets and are contacting donors today for them to opt-in or opt-out. Where I am we are still moving full steam ahead.
SEC? They certainly aren’t going to throw in the towel until they have too. Here in Big Ten Country I’m just hoping we see basketball.

LSU did the same a couple of weeks ago. We requested a full refund, which will take 8-10 weeks. I know we would have been able to go, but I simply don't want to. How are they going to prevent parties and tailgating? Spoiler alert: They won't.

The schedule came out a few days ago. Not sure how they think traveling all over the south will be feasible.

SEC? They certainly aren’t going to throw in the towel until they have too. Here in Big Ten Country I’m just hoping we see basketball.

Yes SEC. Auburn specifically. Everthing is still a go with about 17,000 fans though for game 1 will be only students and suite holders.

Funny enough, that may give them a bubble...but picking football over classes - I'd love to see what non-football parents paying full tuition think of that...

You cannot really bubble college students. The are going to go to parties and bars. You'd think football players would know not to so they can have a season but college students are college students.

Yes SEC. Auburn specifically. Everthing is still a go with about 17,000 fans though for game 1 will be only students and suite holders.

You cannot really bubble college students. The are going to go to parties and bars. You'd think football players would know not to so they can have a season but college students are college students.

But one "football playing" college is resending all their students home out of the onsite dorms...except athletes and international and ROTC...not many left to party...

LSU did the same a couple of weeks ago. We requested a full refund, which will take 8-10 weeks. I know we would have been able to go, but I simply don't want to. How are they going to prevent parties and tailgating? Spoiler alert: They won't.

The schedule came out a few days ago. Not sure how they think traveling all over the south will be feasible.

I'm planning to just say roll my already paid money over to 2021. Same thing. I can go but the 17,000 number and knowing many people won't wear masks, etc. just doesn't feel like a good idea to me.

On-Campus tailgating they can control. They could roadblock roads into campus and only allow people in with certain passes and anybody seem trying to setup a grill or anything gets shut down by campus police.

Now once you leave campus not a thing you can really do since it is mostly up to the property owners what they want to allow and even if the city passed an ordinence really too much area for cops to be able to easily enforce it plus they are already busy on game day. and bars and stuff are going to be packed. I bet a lot of people come to town without tickets just to be close and then pack into bars and restaurants.

But one "football playing" college is resending all their students home out of the onsite dorms...except athletes and international and ROTC...not many left to party...

That opens up another HUGE can of worms that the NBA. NHL, NFL, MLS don't have to deal witth. The NCAA still calls them "student-athletes" as a reason they shouldn't be paid and all that. They still claim they are normal studens who happen to play football. Start treating them differently during a pandemic because you need them to play and make you millions of dollars and it could become a sticky legal issue. Not this year but next year there could be another lawsiut from players wanting to unionize or get paid and they use as evidence they were treated differently during covid to show they are not "normal students".

That opens up another HUGE can of worms that the NBA. NHL, NFL, MLS don't have to deal witth. The NCAA still calls them "student-athletes" as a reason they shouldn't be paid and all that. They still claim they are normal studens who happen to play football. Start treating them differently during a pandemic because you need them to play and make you millions of dollars and it could become a sticky legal issue. Not this year but next year there could be another lawsiut from players wanting to unionize or get paid and they use as evidence they were treated differently during covid to show they are not "normal students".
Probably not the place to get into that discussion as much as I would love to continue on college sports.

I wonder a bit if the ratings issue could also be seasonal. When we were all first locked down in March and April I was watching so much TV and Netflix, etc because I am in the Northeast and the weather was still meh around here so there was not much else to do. Now that we are in a phase where we can do outdoor activities with fewer restrictions most people I know are not watching nearly as much TV because everyone is trying to make the most of being outside while it is still possible. The NBA usually wraps things up by June so it is something people are used to watching TV in winter and spring not summer. People are trying to squeeze in as many outdoor activities as they can. Also a lot of the sports still feel super weird to me. It may just be because my team has been utterly terrible since the return but baseball especially has not held my interest at all. Between all the fits and starts with the teams who had COVID outbreaks at start of the season and wondering if it was all going to get shut down again any minute, I just have not paid much attention at all.

I have to say that my favorite thing about the NBA has been the content from the bubble rather than the games themselves. LOL

I wonder a bit if the ratings issue could also be seasonal. When we were all first locked down in March and April I was watching so much TV and Netflix, etc because I am in the Northeast and the weather was still meh around here so there was not much else to do. Now that we are in a phase where we can do outdoor activities with fewer restrictions most people I know are not watching nearly as much TV because everyone is trying to make the most of being outside while it is still possible. The NBA usually wraps things up by June so it is something people are used to watching TV in winter and spring not summer. People are trying to squeeze in as many outdoor activities as they can. Also a lot of the sports still feel super weird to me. It may just be because my team has been utterly terrible since the return but baseball especially has not held my interest at all. Between all the fits and starts with the teams who had COVID outbreaks at start of the season and wondering if it was all going to get shut down again any minute, I just have not paid much attention at all.

I have to say that my favorite thing about the NBA has been the content from the bubble rather than the games themselves. LOL
As I was saying. This guy went home for the birth of his baby and is now in quarantine until he is cleared. LOL

Viewership is up when the game 'matters'. From CNBC.com

Played on a Saturday afternoon, and featuring two NBA markets that rarely draw national attention, the game averaged 1.9 million viewers and peaked at 2.6 million viewers at roughly 4:45 p.m. according to ESPN. The network told CNBC the game was up 7 percent from the “NBA on ABC seeding games, which average an audience of 1.8 million viewers.”

I am from MA so obviously a Celtics fan - but I have never wanted a series to go a full 7 games before until last week! So bummed that Matisse is heading home!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter