NBA players complain about food and accommodations at WDW

Does anybody really care about their complaints? geez. talk about being out of touch.

I know, right!

Especially right now when so many are out of work and food banks are scrambling to feed those in need.

I was so annoyed by the article that I had to check out Twitter myself. The complaints from the rich ... 🤦‍♀️. I wish some of them would remember they didn't grow up with millions and to take a step back and appreciate their blessings. But, that takes effort I guess.

Apparently one NBA player (who didn't want to be mentioned) called the food trash. Idk, that shrimp looks tasty to me. :confused3
Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 6.37.59 PM.png

And another player had to get a new TV for his room at Grand Floridian (remember, these teams are considered to be exiting out of "the bubble" first) but he has the cash to buy a disposable 85" large screen TV. I hope he donates it to Habitat for Humanity on his exit. And for the record, we thought our TV was quite large at the Yacht Club when we stayed last time. We are commoners though. :rotfl2:
Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 6.47.39 PM.png

I don't feel badly for them, but I wouldn't order that food. And I stayed at Coronado Springs once and I did not like it. I definitely would consider it a motel with its outside entrances.

With that being said, now is not the time to take to social media and complain about your workplace accommodations. Many people would be thrilled just to have a job right now.

They are staying at Gran Destino Tower, not the outside door rooms at Coronado Springs. The other two locations are Grand Floridian and Yacht Club.

Sounds like they are out of touch with life.

I’m so blessed to be able to keep working and paying my bills I feel very lucky.
Guess I’ll never know what’s it’s like to have disposable income or to be so above others.
I’d love right now to be able to be at a Disney resort and I only live 70 miles from Disney.
They may need to read James 5:9

I'm really not up on the NBA or any other major-league sports that have been disrupted. Can someone explain to me why Orlando was chosen as the staging ground for the remainder of the basketball season? Genuine question. It seems like there would be safer areas.

They have a self contained infrastructure including gyms, hotels, transportation, and food. The ABC/ESPN angle was also mentioned.

However, I was thinking that they might not like Holiday Inn style accommodations when they’re used to 5-star resort and high end business hotels. For example, in Toronto visiting teams often stay at the Ritz-Carlton or Shangri-La.

But they’ve been used to cheaper lodging playing AAU club or college. And college dorms and dining halls.

Also, even though Jaylen Brown only stayed a season, he’s still repoing Cal. Hoping he comes back to finish his degree like Shareef Abdul-Rahim.

30653194-8512795-Pictured_Jaylen_Brown_of_the_Boston_Celtics-a-36_1594492026795.jpg

I'm really not up on the NBA or any other major-league sports that have been disrupted. Can someone explain to me why Orlando was chosen as the staging ground for the remainder of the basketball season? Genuine question. It seems like there would be safer areas.
1) It was chosen before the Florida outbreaks happened.
2) WWoS has enough facilities for games (I think three courts) and WDW has enough space for practice courts (one for each team) to maintain the "bubble".

Keep in mind, there are at least 24 MLS teams (FC Dallas was still there last night, I don't know about Nashville, so possibly 26) ALSO staying and playing at WWoS.

WWoS is actually very impressive IMO.

:confused: Is Coronado Springs a deluxe? If so, that one picture makes me feel bad for the regular-people paying customers that have and will stay there. Not that it's uninhabitable by any means but a 4* hotel it is NOT and the prices for deluxe are ridiculous.
I've stayed at Coronado Springs. In a "regular" room. It was pretty nice. 2 queen beds, TV, separate bathroom, refrigerator. Don't know what they were expecting - it's a hotel.

I get why people don't feel badly for them, but let's also remember that these are extremely massive human beings who are very accustomed to specific nutrition to maintain the physical shape necessary to do their jobs well. And if they didn't do their jobs well, people would complain about that as well, especially since, you got it, they get paid a lot of money. Sometimes, the amount of money you make doesn't actually pertain to legitimate gripes, of which these men might not have the highest order of one, but given their limited options and the expectations still being placed on them in an unprecedented situation where they are being kept away from their families, maybe give them a little grace, no?

I get why people don't feel badly for them, but let's also remember that these are extremely massive human beings who are very accustomed to specific nutrition to maintain the physical shape necessary to do their jobs well. And if they didn't do their jobs well, people would complain about that as well, especially since, you got it, they get paid a lot of money. Sometimes, the amount of money you make doesn't actually pertain to legitimate gripes, of which these men might not have the highest order of one, but given their limited options and the expectations still being placed on them in an unprecedented situation where they are being kept away from their families, maybe give them a little grace, no?

They are grown adults that have mangers and they should know well in advance if they need special nutrition or what they need. They knew week in advance where they was going to
This just did not pop up overnight.
When I travel out of town for my work I do commercial flooring I make sure I take or have what I need to make my life on the road good.

Frankly, I agree with them about the meals. I'm pretty shocked that NBA nutritionists didn't work with Disney to create healthier meals. The NBA is used to feeding elite athletes while Disney is not. I know that making "take-out" meals is more difficult, but Disney really has to step up on the meals.

As for CS, I knew that they would be disappointed to stay there even in the Tower. For that, I say "suck it up, Buttercup".

They are grown adults that have mangers and they should know well in advance if they need special nutrition or what they need. They knew week in advance where they was going to
This just did not pop up overnight.
When I travel out of town for my work I do commercial flooring I make sure I take or have what I need to make my life on the road good.

Or, they were told everything was being taken care of and this is what they were met with? That seems pretty likely. It's not up to the individual athletes to arrange their own nutrition in this scenario. Also, LeBron was eating tacos, so clearly there's some disconnect going on here.

Frankly, I agree with them about the meals. I'm pretty shocked that NBA nutritionists didn't work with Disney to create healthier meals. The NBA is used to feeding elite athletes while Disney is not. I know that making "take-out" meals is more difficult, but Disney really has to step up on the meals.

As for CS, I knew that they would be disappointed to stay there even in the Tower. For that, I say "suck it up, Buttercup".
I recall reading some days ago, Robin, about the players complaints on the food. I read that that situation was temporary, just for a few days. Maybe while getting settled in? Whatever I read said that the food would be great food, prepared by Disney chefs in conjunction with NBA nutritionists and food people.

I might think the "complaints" ae being taken out of context or proportion. I would think that most players are fine with the way things are in order for them to play. It doesn't take much for a FB or Twitter to heat up from a complaint here and there.

I know that making "take-out" meals is more difficult, but Disney really has to step up on the meals.

I wouldn't be happy if I was looking at a 90-day stay in a little room and eating all of my meals out of a styrofoam box.

IMHO they should have given them a DVC property where they could each have a bedroom, kitchen and living room. I think for the money the NBA is paying Disney (reportedly $150 million) , it's substandard.

I don't feel badly for them, but I wouldn't order that food. And I stayed at Coronado Springs once and I did not like it. I definitely would consider it a motel with its outside entrances.

With that being said, now is not the time to take to social media and complain about your workplace accommodations. Many people would be thrilled just to have a job right now.
They are in Gran Destino tower at Coronado Springs. It's all inside. Also, it's REALLY nice (for Disney). The only thing that stinks is that it doesn't have it's own pool/quiet pool. The closest pool is the main resort pool.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/coronado-springs-resort/It's the giant building in the main picture.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter