NBA players complain about food and accommodations at WDW

What? No.
Shameful and ungrateful. Immature.
This isn't a permanent situation, deal with real life (not really real life for most people, still very privledged) like the rest of are doing.
JMO.

I really don't see what is shameful or immature about it, but go off, I guess. This reads very much like a "these people make money and therefore have no valid complaints" and that's gross to me.

oh boy. Poor-little-rich men. Raise your hand if you wouldn't mind quarantine at Disney! I'm sure many of them have entourages to think of during this trying time....
Me! I can’t image having to stay in that hotel room for that long, reminds me of why I didn’t like to travel when I used to work. Heck, my sister wouldn’t last a weekend (she doesn’t do standard hotel rooms, only DVC villas and above at WDW).

I really don't see what is shameful or immature about it, but go off, I guess. This reads very much like a "these people make money and therefore have no valid complaints" and that's gross to me.
The validity of the complaints is sort of relative though and sure, they can be dissatisfied with things not being up to their standards but to expect to garner sympathy in this case is a bit much. The steak and shrimp aren’t plated nicely enough? Get real. And why go public? Shouldn’t these issues be handled through the players’ association or their individual agents or something?

As a bodybuilder who is also used to specific nutrition to maintain physical shape: there is nothing wrong with that meal posted on the first page. It isn't "substandard" at all.

Is it appetizing looking? No. Is it award-winning cuisine? Also no.

But I'll break it down for you:
Garden greens with arugula (dark leafy green), watermelon (carbs), goat cheese (protein)
Caprese salad (calorie dense thanks to the cheese, plus protein - this is often a go-to of mine in a pinch)
Italian grilled chicken (protein)
White fish (protein)
Parmesan polenta (carbs and calories)
Pasta with Impossible bolognese sauce (big time carbs, big time calories, and protein from the bolognese)
Roasted summer vegetables (veggies, obviously)

This is actually a crap ton of food (clearly intentional, as they likely consume a very high amount of calories), a lot of protein, a lot of carbs, and a lot of sodium (which endurance athletes need). The picture posted on shows the salad, fruit, and a snack (appears to be two varieties of chips - high carb), not the full meal. All of these items on that list and in that photo are the kinds of things an athlete would eat in a tight situation where meal prep wasn't possible. I've done similar when I didn't have time to meal prep (although I've never eaten both chicken and fish in a single meal, but these men are also much bigger than me).

A top-level athlete can handle eating salad from a plastic container and some bland grilled chicken for 14 days. Their physiques are not so fragile that being unable to eat filet mignon and swordfish for two weeks will cause them to fall apart or perform poorly, I assure you. As long as they are getting the calories they need, they will be fine.
Exactly! My daughter swims for our country’s national team. I’m used to feeding an athlete. Those meals are well designed and nourishing. Nothing to complain about!

The validity of the complaints is sort of relative though and sure, they can be dissatisfied with things not being up to their standards but to expect to garner sympathy in this case is a bit much. The steak and shrimp aren’t plated nicely enough? Get real. And why go public? Shouldn’t these issues be handled through the players’ association or their individual agents or something?

Do they really want any more sympathy than people here do when they can't get chicken fingers for their child's 5th straight day at their restaurant of choice? Or are they just being like "huh, this isn't what I expected and it could be better!" and sharing it because that is what people do on social media? Just seems like a lot of reading into considering they're only there so that people like us can have some entertainment in our tedium bubbles while they risk possibly getting a virus that could wreck havoc on their bodies.

Am I crazy for thinking that if these wealthy athletes had specific nutritional "needs" they could have just brought meals/groceries with them? They are in suites with stoves, refrigerators, microwaves. Cook your own darn meals, you big babies. ( I think they get paid WAY too much for bouncing a ball. I don't miss sports whatsoever, if I never saw another game I'd be just fine with that.)

Do they really want any more sympathy than people here do when they can't get chicken fingers for their child's 5th straight day at their restaurant of choice?
People here don't get their complaints picked up by multiple news outlets. Post something on your public social media, you have to know the potential outcome.
Just seems like a lot of reading into considering they're only there so that people like us can have some entertainment in our tedium bubbles while they risk possibly getting a virus that could wreck havoc on their bodies.
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:
They're there for the money.

People here don't get their complaints picked up by multiple news outlets. Post something on your public social media, you have to know the potential outcome.

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:
They're there for the money.

I would hope they are getting paid for the risk they are taking a time when they probably shouldn’t be playing. And I don’t think any of THEM are complaining about the their posts getting picked up, I personally think the response to the complaints reflects more on the responder than the complainer.

Am I crazy for thinking that if these wealthy athletes had specific nutritional "needs" they could have just brought meals/groceries with them? They are in suites with stoves, refrigerators, microwaves. Cook your own darn meals, you big babies. ( I think they get paid WAY too much for bouncing a ball. I don't miss sports whatsoever, if I never saw another game I'd be just fine with that.)

Which teams are in suites? The only pictures I have seen online are of regular rooms.

Which teams are in suites? The only pictures I have seen online are of regular rooms.
I thought some were, admittedly I don't really follow what is going on with any sport. The picture shown in the first post shows a microwave, so those in those type of rooms could make meals for themselves if the ones provided were so horrible. I realize they are quarantined, but I wonder if they are allowed to just bring in the meals that they want and pay for it themselves instead.

It’s funny to see what kind of impression Disney makes on people who aren’t Disney fans wearing rose-colored glasses. Motel 6 rooms and airline food. :laughing: Just wait until they have to book their fastpasses and pay the resort parking fee!

Haha so much!

Look, I agree the posts are a bit tone deaf considering the state of the world, but so are a lot of posts from non-athletes. To some people I’m sure the complaints on here seem like out of touch rich people complaints.

That said, as soon as I heard about the NBA bubble on the radio, I started laughing out loud in my car and thought “oh man, these players are not going to like their accommodations.” I enjoy Disney, but Disney hotels are nothing special. The draw is the proximity to the parks and ease of vacation. Even the Deluxe resorts are not high end accommodations. They’re like a Marriott with theming. They’re nice, but they aren’t luxury and they don’t have the typical luxury hotel food service either. I’ll be one to admit I wouldn’t want to stay at a Disney hotel for six weeks. The Four Seasons over down the road, sure lol.

Not to mention, I’m sure it was billed to them as it is in general as deluxe and luxury, heck even the radio was talking about the players having 5-star accommodations. I’m guessing part of it is mismanaged expectations.

The complaint itself really isn't that big of a problem. Even in a temporary situation if you aren't happy with the service complain. Unfortunately people forget you can just complain to an establishment without having to post it all over social media. There's absolutely zero need to make that complaints public anytime but especially not at a time like this. It just comes off as tone-deaf and entitled.

Last edited:
Well, THAT is a more valid complaint then! Who got picked for the better rooms and how?! LOL!

NBA teams Disney hotels based on seeding:

Grand Destino: Bucks, Lakers, Raptors, Clippers, Celtics, Nuggets, Jazz, Heat

Grand Floridian: Thunder, 76ers, Rockets, Pacers, Mavericks, Nets, Grizzlies, Magic

Yacht Club: Blazers, Kings, Pelicans, Spurs, Suns, Wizards

I doubt any of these players “cook” their own meals. Obviously used to living the life of luxury at high end resorts/hotels and having their own personal chefs back home...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter