NBA players complain about food and accommodations at WDW

I find it curious that for years people here were realistic about the fact that what is termed a 'deluxe' in the Disney world would in no way be considered 'deluxe' outside of Disney. Now we have people who are most likely not influenced by emotion towards Disney, saying that this is not their usual standard. I don't necessarily agree with how they spread the message, but they are just saying what has been said here for decades.

Most of the people complaining have saved a whole year for the trip....NBA players are paying what???? Nothing!
So anyone travelling for work cannot have expectations? If I am flying business class, I have a minimum expectation of standards. I know which airlines to avoid because they don't meet those standards. I know for instance that if I fly Condor, I won't get a lie flat seat, and I won't be in the best condition to work after flying 20+ hours, for example.

This is really no different that the hundreds of thousands of readers on Flyertalk or any frequent traveller website, critiquing the reality to the expectation. (Edited to add that as I said above, I don't agree about the delivery of the message, but I do understand the message)

Last edited:
Do they really want any more sympathy than people here do when they can't get chicken fingers for their child's 5th straight day at their restaurant of choice? Or are they just being like "huh, this isn't what I expected and it could be better!" and sharing it because that is what people do on social media? Just seems like a lot of reading into considering they're only there so that people like us can have some entertainment in our tedium bubbles while they risk possibly getting a virus that could wreck havoc on their bodies.

First, I’ll tell you they aren’t there for me. I don’t watch NBA after they took away a key component, defense. Lol. (Stopped watching in the late 90’s) And I think they are there for more than just us, their wallets being a major one.

And yeah, people on here whine about this or that, but we are real quick to tell them to get perspective. I know the community board wouldn’t be offering support about a kid not getting chicken nuggets for the 5th straight day.

As many people on here have already posted, it’s their right to complain but don’t get mad when others call you out.

So anyone travelling for work cannot have expectations? If I am flying business class, I have a minimum expectation of standards. I know which airlines to avoid because they don't meet those standards. I know for instance that if I fly Condor, I won't get a lie flat seat, and I won't be in the best condition to work after flying 20+ hours, for example.

This is really no different that the hundreds of thousands of readers on Flyertalk or any frequent traveller website, critiquing the reality to the expectation. (Edited to add that as I said above, I don't agree about the delivery of the message, but I do understand the message)

Yes, you can complain and have expectations. I think on all levels everyone does.

But just be prepared for people to call you out.

I think the main issue about the NBA is the lack of awareness of their audience. Most fans aren’t multi millionaires that can afford a disposable 85” TV. They are hard working people who just read rich men complaining about a small hotel room and shrimp in a styrofoam container while they are struggling to pay their bills.

Yes, you can complain and have expectations. I think on all levels everyone does.

But just be prepared for people to call you out.

I think the main issue about the NBA is the lack of awareness of their audience. Most fans aren’t multi millionaires that can afford a disposable 85” TV. They are hard working people who just read rich men complaining about a small hotel room and shrimp in a styrofoam container while they are struggling to pay their bills.
I totally agree with you that it is tone deaf, and that they are really representing their employer. I'm not sure if the NBA has a social media policy for its 'employees', but I suspect that would violate many work place social media policies.

Again, I don't agree with the delivery, but I do think that they are right in the expectation of deluxe in normal times. I was flying during the times of COVID, and it was definitely a challenge that there were no lounges open and only one food outlet. The difference is that the US is still in the heat of the fire, whilst other areas have moved past it so expectations to have things return are greater (and Lufthansa has opened limited lounges)

While it's pretty aggravating and obnoxious to hear these grown men complaining like Karen, I can see where they are coming from (at least in their mind). Disney's deluxe resorts aren't really, truly comparable to a true 5 star hotel in the real world (and that's where many of these pro athletes point of reference lies). Moderates are more comparable to a better Holiday Inn or similar and the values are most similar to motels. But, the teams and their PR people should have done a bit better job of setting realistic expectations of how this mini season and their accommodations would look.

IMHO they should have given them a DVC property where they could each have a bedroom, kitchen and living room. I think for the money the NBA is paying Disney (reportedly $150 million) , it's substandard.

That really isn't/wasn't even an option given the already stressed situation of DVC with regard to points that DVC is allowing members to bank from vacations planned during the closure. As it is, I expect that the next few years will be very hard for members who don't book exactly at their 11 month window. And if Hawaii/Aulani don't open soon it's just going to get worse.

Of course they’re allowed to have complaints. But as you said, their delivery is what most people have a problem with. They should go to their personal managers, their team managers, somebody at the NBA and/or the hotel. Blasting it on social media is not the right way. And in a time of such high unemployment, not only does it come off tone deaf, it comes off entitled. So it’s really hard to feel for them about any of it when so many are just struggling to stay afloat.

BTW, that is a standard I hold for everybody, not just celebrities/sports people. Try to address the problem internally first. I hate when people immediately go to social media without trying to find a remedy privately first.

Do they really want any more sympathy than people here do when they can't get chicken fingers for their child's 5th straight day at their restaurant of choice? Or are they just being like "huh, this isn't what I expected and it could be better!" and sharing it because that is what people do on social media? Just seems like a lot of reading into considering they're only there so that people like us can have some entertainment in our tedium bubbles while they risk possibly getting a virus that could wreck havoc on their bodies.
:rolleyes1I guess they have the same option as others to decline to work and lose their pay.

I can't really comment about the chicken fingers issue or why people post the mundane, irrelevant stuff they do on social media. :confused3

And they probably arrived in Orlando with a suitcase of apprehension about how the season and accommodations are going to work out, so anything that confirmed negative expectations jumped out immediately.

Reacting with emotion vs perspective twists the way humans filter reality.

I don't feel sorry for them and don't think that they should complain about the hotel but the food is an honest gripe on my opinion. Now I would love some of that junk food and if they were not there to play professional basketball for the NBA championship i am sure some of them would to. I know that they are under quarnteen in there rooms for 4 days i think then will be able to go get better food but still I think they could have been provided a blender some protein powder and the fixings for smoothes or make your own salad with protein i don't know but I don't think that they should have been given all the junk.

Anyone else think the owners/agents are getting a bit of revenge against these pampered-princes? I could see a skype: Hey let's put them in 'moderate' level! Yeah! they'll be so upset! HA! and let's feed them crap since they won't have access to the entourages to fetch them anything they want! It will be great!

Anyone else think the owners/agents are getting a bit of revenge against these pampered-princes? I could see a skype: Hey let's put them in 'moderate' level! Yeah! they'll be so upset! HA! and let's feed them crap since they won't have access to the entourages to fetch them anything they want! It will be great!

Any one of these guys can opt not to play and the owners will lose out, so I'm not sure what the benefit of doing that would be.

People forget... not ALL athletes are mega millionaires. We're seeing this with baseball also, a few men are opting to forfeit their salaries and not play this season, but they are largely the type of player who can afford to do so financially and career-wise. Not all players make millions a season, and many have to consider how they'll be viewed if they choose not to play, especially in the case of the NBA where the bubble is essentially an extended postseason (not every team is reporting, because some are already eliminated).

But sure, the big men made a tweet about their sad salads, so let's dunk on 'em since they make way more money than we ever will.

People forget... not ALL athletes are mega millionaires.

But sure, the big men made a tweet about their sad salads, so let's dunk on 'em since they make way more money than we ever will.

You are correct, they are all not mega millionaires, but the NBA minimum salary is approx. $893K. They are doing ok.

I don't think one person on here said they don't have a right to complain, but that it is rather tone deaf in this current environment -- so they are calling them out to realize how fortunate they are.

You are correct, they are all not mega millionaires, but the NBA minimum salary is approx. $893K. They are doing ok.

I don't think one person on here said they don't have a right to complain, but that it is rather tone deaf in this current environment -- so they are calling them out to realize how fortunate they are.

Ehhh, did any of them quit and go home? They are doing it and they were sharing what the situation was. The tone policing is worse than the actual posts at this point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter