NBA players complain about food and accommodations at WDW

Ehhh, did any of them quit and go home? They are doing it and they were sharing what the situation was. The tone policing is worse than the actual posts at this point.

LOL, I always laugh with our back and forth conversations. When we are on the same page, we are on.the.same.page.

When we aren't, we both are going to the grave with our convictions. :rotfl:The nice thing is we always do it in a civil manner. I enjoy hearing opposing views when it is handled this way. I always try to see your side, but with this one I just don't. No biggie. I am sure you agree.

I think we will call it it a truce until someone else throws in a new scenario then we will spar again. Ha ha ha...

I think part of what triggered the tone policing is how people abuse social media.

There's been a learning curve with the power of social media. First that you could get your complaint heard by getting other people to rally behind you, but then the people who saw that and decided to obnoxiously abuse it.

This kind of fits in there too when some players went right to twitter to cry in their salad instead of sitting back for a minute to put it in perspective, not only of their relative good fortune but the food could easily be rectified with a simple request. And a 'please'.

Things are going to be way different. There was a time when players were required to wear some sort of jacket when arriving at the arena. Now the rule will be that they put on their uniform in their hotels rooms and will wear them on the bus. It will of course be a short ride.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29453235/sources-nba-players-required-uniform-arriving-game
Just as an aside, uniforms can be really nasty. Back around 2012 we were visiting Disneyland and stayed at the Hilton Anaheim, which was the hotel for a college basketball tournament at the Anahim Convention Center. We got a nice room, but it was on the same floor as some of the teams. And they tossed their stinky uniforms in the hallway to be picked up and washed. They didn't even put them in bags - just tossed them on the floor like I guess they would do back in their own gyms.

Just as an aside, uniforms can be really nasty. Back around 2012 we were visiting Disneyland and stayed at the Hilton Anaheim, which was the hotel for a college basketball tournament at the Anahim Convention Center. We got a nice room, but it was on the same floor as some of the teams. And they tossed their stinky uniforms in the hallway to be picked up and washed. They didn't even put them in bags - just tossed them on the floor like I guess they would do back in their own gyms.

My nephew played college hockey ... OMG! Just walking past the locker room was enough. How they didn't pass out in the actual locker room is beyond me. All that sweaty gear ... nasty.

I wonder why the meals weren't placed on the same plate with a cover or at least a large box with everything inside. instead of a cup of mashed potatoes, a small box with a chicken breast, a small box with green beans. Just doing that would have made the food seem more like a meal and not leftovers.

My nephew played college hockey ... OMG! Just walking past the locker room was enough. How they didn't pass out in the actual locker room is beyond me. All that sweaty gear ... nasty.

Hockey odour from uniforms is putrid. The gloves take it to a WHOLE other level 🤪. Most disgusting locker rooms indeed.

I get why people don't feel badly for them, but let's also remember that these are extremely massive human beings who are very accustomed to specific nutrition to maintain the physical shape necessary to do their jobs well. And if they didn't do their jobs well, people would complain about that as well, especially since, you got it, they get paid a lot of money.

I agree with the food aspect. They are professional athletes, I knew a few Euro league ballers and they truly were 'my body is a temple' kinda guys so I can't imagine how seriously NBA players would take their nutrition.
With regards to the rooms however...umm...suck it up buttercup! They are decent, clean rooms with beds, that's enough for anyone regardless of your salary

I wonder why the meals weren't placed on the same plate with a cover or at least a large box with everything inside. instead of a cup of mashed potatoes, a small box with a chicken breast, a small box with green beans. Just doing that would have made the food seem more like a meal and not leftovers.

I wondered that too. I think presentation would go a long way to making it not seem so "bad."

Not sure where he got his snacks from but everyone knows Disney would not give you gum as a snack. Disney hates cleaning gum off of the cement and that is why they do not sell it anywhere on Disney property.

Combination of
what containers were available
avoiding issues with players who don't like their food touching
potential allergies?

I know, right!

Especially right now when so many are out of work and food banks are scrambling to feed those in need.

I was so annoyed by the article that I had to check out Twitter myself. The complaints from the rich ... 🤦‍♀️. I wish some of them would remember they didn't grow up with millions and to take a step back and appreciate their blessings. But, that takes effort I guess.

Apparently one NBA player (who didn't want to be mentioned) called the food trash. Idk, that shrimp looks tasty to me. :confused3
View attachment 508791

And another player had to get a new TV for his room at Grand Floridian (remember, these teams are considered to be exiting out of "the bubble" first) but he has the cash to buy a disposable 85" large screen TV. I hope he donates it to Habitat for Humanity on his exit. And for the record, we thought our TV was quite large at the Yacht Club when we stayed last time. We are commoners though. :rotfl2:
View attachment 508795
What room is he staying in, it has nice dinning room chairs?

I really don't see what is shameful or immature about it, but go off, I guess. This reads very much like a "these people make money and therefore have no valid complaints" and that's gross to me.
Hahaha...won't try to explain it here. It would take more than just a post. Do you know any professional athletes? I do and most are not like this.
Also, in my experience, each team plans for and provides their players their own food. This may be different here.

Last edited:
So from what I understand they are experiencing their 14 day quarantines and lets face it that is going to be no fun wherever you do it. No pools, no gyms no nothing to get past it and I am sure all the food stuff was not worked out to well. They picked WDW simply because they can get up to 24 basketball courts to use if the include cheer areas and other types of courts. All are broadcast capable and even with the parks open they can still create a bubble for them. They will complain because in Houston they stay at the Four Seasons when they play here and have a private entrance for their use. Also these guys are not saints and when they have a free night in a city they like to party. So basically they are being asked to quarantine for 14 days and then finish the season without exiting their bubble and overall by their nature they do not like it. If I had the talent and you wanted to lock me up for 3 months to play basketball and collect my millions, I would be more than happy to do it. They just are elite guys who think because they can perform a sport extremely well that it should allow them to do whatever they want. While I love to watch certain sports the reality for me is that your ability to shoot baskets, hit golf balls, or baseballs better than most does not mean I see you as "special" You just get a lot of money to do what you do. So sit down, shut up, do what the guys that pay you ask of you collect your money and go party all you want afterwards. Many more people in this country and the world would give anything for what you consider an inconvenience.

So from what I understand they are experiencing their 14 day quarantines and lets face it that is going to be no fun wherever you do it. No pools, no gyms no nothing to get past it and I am sure all the food stuff was not worked out to well. They picked WDW simply because they can get up to 24 basketball courts to use if the include cheer areas and other types of courts. All are broadcast capable and even with the parks open they can still create a bubble for them. They will complain because in Houston they stay at the Four Seasons when they play here and have a private entrance for their use. Also these guys are not saints and when they have a free night in a city they like to party. So basically they are being asked to quarantine for 14 days and then finish the season without exiting their bubble and overall by their nature they do not like it. If I had the talent and you wanted to lock me up for 3 months to play basketball and collect my millions, I would be more than happy to do it. They just are elite guys who think because they can perform a sport extremely well that it should allow them to do whatever they want. While I love to watch certain sports the reality for me is that your ability to shoot baskets, hit golf balls, or baseballs better than most does not mean I see you as "special" You just get a lot of money to do what you do. So sit down, shut up, do what the guys that pay you ask of you collect your money and go party all you want afterwards. Many more people in this country and the world would give anything for what you consider an inconvenience.

Did you read the article? The players have been able to leave their hotels and hit the pools and even go golfing. They can finish their entire 14 day state quarantine on the grounds.

This was the world’s tallest freshman orientation. Seven-footers, with NBA-branded bracelets to access their rooms on their wrists, emerged from a 36-hour mandated quarantine and tried to familiarize themselves with the largely empty and lake-dotted grounds. They shuttled from ballrooms that have been transformed into makeshift practice courts to their hotels, whose stores hawked Mickey Mouse basketball jerseys.​
With temperatures reaching 95 degrees and occasional thunderstorms rolling through, players lounged by resort pools, tried their hand at fishing and lawn sports, and hit the links on their off days.​

Here's a picture of one of the ballrooms:

4tftvhmxwn851.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter