NBA players complain about food and accommodations at WDW

I am curious if the beds are long enough for seven foot tall guys too. Maybe they are cranky because they are sleepy.

I'd be surprised if they weren't prepared. They've hosted basketball teams before. A lot of the high school and club competition they have on site includes players around 7 feet tall.

There are stories about how many NBA road team hotels prepare. They have long specialty beds in storage and they generally have a special area where their team employees handle everything rather than just check in at the front desk.

A number of posts have already been removed since this thread is about the NBA at WDW (and the affected posts were not).

Those wanting to discuss COVID-19, Canada reopening borders, better locations for NHL games in Canada, or anything else unrelated to the NBA at WDW should start their own thread as off-topic posts from this point on will receive warnings.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

An MLS player broke quarantine last week. Of course, it was because he was hauled off the field on a stretcher after taking a blow to the throat and they wanted to check him out. He also has to quarantine for some time before allowed back with his team.

Two of the NBA athletes have now tested positive. Neither of them tested positive before they left their home areas. Disney has put a lot of time and effort into this, so I hope that it can continue, but I’m afraid this is not a good sign for the tournament.

Did you read the article? The players have been able to leave their hotels and hit the pools and even go golfing. They can finish their entire 14 day state quarantine on the grounds.

This was the world’s tallest freshman orientation. Seven-footers, with NBA-branded bracelets to access their rooms on their wrists, emerged from a 36-hour mandated quarantine and tried to familiarize themselves with the largely empty and lake-dotted grounds. They shuttled from ballrooms that have been transformed into makeshift practice courts to their hotels, whose stores hawked Mickey Mouse basketball jerseys.​
With temperatures reaching 95 degrees and occasional thunderstorms rolling through, players lounged by resort pools, tried their hand at fishing and lawn sports, and hit the links on their off days.​

Here's a picture of one of the ballrooms:

4tftvhmxwn851.jpg

In a word, NO, I did not read the article as I do not read many of the articles because quite frankly it makes me even madder to do so. If you are saying that their 14 day quarantine includes availing themselves of all the activities that WDW has to offer then that has got to be one of the more stupid and elitist things I have heard lately and with this Pandemic going on I have heard some pretty stupid things. Everyone I know (and I know quite a few given the industry I work in) that has had to quarantine for 14 days have basically had to do it in isolation. If these guys are enjoying a two week Disney stay and play and counting it as Quarantine then I hold little hope for the conclusion of the NBA season (not that I give a flip one way or another) and it goes to prove once again that some pigs are more equal than other pigs.

In a word, NO, I did not read the article as I do not read many of the articles because quite frankly it makes me even madder to do so. If you are saying that their 14 day quarantine includes availing themselves of all the activities that WDW has to offer then that has got to be one of the more stupid and elitist things I have heard lately and with this Pandemic going on I have heard some pretty stupid things. Everyone I know (and I know quite a few given the industry I work in) that has had to quarantine for 14 days have basically had to do it in isolation. If these guys are enjoying a two week Disney stay and play and counting it as Quarantine then I hold little hope for the conclusion of the NBA season (not that I give a flip one way or another) and it goes to prove once again that some pigs are more equal than other pigs.

No - they had a 36 hour mandated quarantine insider their hotel rooms. They can then use their designated facilities or go play golf, but I don't believe they're allowed to enter the open theme parks.

I looked up the requirements, and there's no mandatory quarantine for these players as per the Governor's order. They would be exempt as participants in a commercial activity and probably with sports training exception. I'm thinking many of the professional golfers living in Florida are exempt.

• This Executive Order does not apply to individuals involved in commercial activity and students traveling for the purpose of academic work, internships, sports training and any other activity or program approved by the educational institution.

Doesn't sound much different than the Disboard members who were thinking of ways to circumvent the quarantine.:rolleyes1

As many others have said, many are homeless, unemployed, struggling to pay rent, or struggling to save their own or a family member's life who has been afflicted with Covid...Very sad that grown men have no awareness "beyond their bubble lifestyle that they and their families live every day as an NBA player" :(

Have you seen the complaints on this board? "I had to wait 30 minutes for a ride"; I paid xxx for my vacation. The CM needs to treat me better!"; "The character didn't stay long at my table"; "The quality of the food has gone down hill."; "The steak is smaller than it used to be. What will Disney give me for complaining?"; "Disney needs to open (and give me a discount) because I need to go Home?"

Would it be more empathetic (and media savvy) for the players to realize there are more important things going on in the world than plain food and a standard hotel room? Of course. But, it seems like whining is something we all do, regardless of wealth. I am not going to single them out when people here do that on a daily basis.

Doesn't sound much different than the Disboard members who were thinking of ways to circumvent the quarantine.:rolleyes1

Have you seen the complaints on this board? "I had to wait 30 minutes for a ride"; I paid xxx for my vacation. The CM needs to treat me better!"; "The character didn't stay long at my table"; "The quality of the food has gone down hill."; "The steak is smaller than it used to be. What will Disney give me for complaining?"; "Disney needs to open (and give me a discount) because I need to go Home?"

Would it be more empathetic (and media savvy) for the players to realize there are more important things going on in the world than plain food and a standard hotel room? Of course. But, it seems like whining is something we all do, regardless of wealth. I am not going to single them out when people here do that on a daily basis.

Exaaaactly. I'm not disagreeing that the whining is not the best look, but these guys are aware of how they are representing themselves, and the main reason people are taking issue is because they are rich and have a fun job. And like, no, having little choice but to go be quarantined with your teammates, away from your family, even if you're making a lot of money, is not the best. Yes, other people have to make similar or tougher choices. Yes, a lot of people are in worse situations that are more "essential." But for all intents and purposes, professional sports HAVE been deemed essential and all pro athletes who don't believe they ARE essential are losing paychecks or possibly credibility or future earnings, or they are putting themselves at risk for a virus that no one truly understands yet. So I guess I was just surprised that people cared so much what the tall basketball men think about their supplied lettuce.

and the main reason people are taking issue is because they are rich and have a fun job.
I think nobody can deign to know the "main reason" why all the people who have issues with this, have said issues. Or what they are.
But for all intents and purposes, professional sports HAVE been deemed essential
Where????? By whom??????
and all pro athletes who don't believe they ARE essential are losing paychecks or possibly credibility or future earnings
Professional athletes are not essential, except to the actual sport they perform. Nobody will die if there are no pro athletes to administer care. Nobody will starve if there are no pro athletes to stock shelves or operate cash registers. Entertainment is enjoyable - not essential.
or they are putting themselves at risk for a virus
Pro athletes who choose not to play during a pandemic when/where other players have the virus are putting themselves at not-risk.

I think nobody can deign to know the "main reason" why all the people who have issues with this, have said issues. Or what they are.

Where????? By whom??????

Professional athletes are not essential, except to the actual sport they perform. Nobody will die if there are no pro athletes to administer care. Nobody will starve if there are no pro athletes to stock shelves or operate cash registers. Entertainment is enjoyable - not essential.

Pro athletes who choose not to play during a pandemic when/where other players have the virus are putting themselves at not-risk.

By whom? By the professional sports leagues who are deciding to move forward with all of this as if there isn't a pandemic going on and having guys sweating and breathing all over one another isn't a huge risk, especially for the ones like MLB where they AREN'T living in seclusion. It may not be essential the way getting groceries is, but it certainly isn't necessary, and yet it's happening and the choice to opt out isn't as easy for all levels of athletes, particularly ones who might be going into contract years or make the minimum (which is a surprising number of MLB players).

I agree with you that enjoyment is not essential, but if the players are not considered such, why is Buster Posey losing his salary because he's choosing to stay home with his newborn premature twin girls instead of going to work? These men are being asked to make difficult decisions for the enjoyment of others, are being put under a microscrope regardless of what they decide, and then are being called bratty and spoiled when they are STILL risking quite a few unknowns to go and play sports because it was decided that society needs sports.

By whom? By the professional sports leagues who are deciding to move forward with all of this as if there isn't a pandemic going on and having guys sweating and breathing all over one another isn't a huge risk, especially for the ones like MLB where they AREN'T living in seclusion. It may not be essential the way getting groceries is, but it certainly isn't necessary, and yet it's happening and the choice to opt out isn't as easy for all levels of athletes, particularly ones who might be going into contract years or make the minimum (which is a surprising number of MLB players).

I agree with you that enjoyment is not essential, but if the players are not considered such, why is Buster Posey losing his salary because he's choosing to stay home with his newborn premature twin girls instead of going to work? These men are being asked to make difficult decisions for the enjoyment of others, are being put under a microscrope regardless of what they decide, and then are being called bratty and spoiled when they are STILL risking quite a few unknowns to go and play sports because it was decided that society needs sports.
Difficult decisions for others enjoyment? . They are Overpaid ...for Playing Games.. it’s not exactly brain science lol. Every day people are making decisions about leaving their homes to actually “Care “ for others who are ill/dying. Imho,Those are the ones leaving their own families and making difficult decisions.
No disrespect to you/post but Sports and Salaries rankles me!

Difficult decisions for others enjoyment? . They are Overpaid ...for Playing Games.. it’s not exactly brain science lol. Every day people are making decisions about leaving their homes to actually “Care “ for others who are ill/dying. Imho,Those are the ones leaving their own families and making difficult decisions.
No disrespect to you/post but Sports and Salaries rankles me!

Yes, difficult decisions. Men are choosing whether or not they are going to leave their pregnant wives alone to be with their teams because they don't want to risk bringing the virus back to them. Young players who are making the minimum, which is still an okay amount of money to you and me, but is following a very underpaid period as minor league players, really have no choice but to play since they will not make this year's income otherwise and might be viewed differently when it comes time to negotiate in arbitration or a new contract.

I really don't like this idea that if you have a good or desirable job and you make good money doing it, you don't have tough decisions. Or that if other people have tougher decisons, your decisions are not tough. As I already mentioned, one of my favorite players is NOT playing this year due to his newborn twins being in the NICU. Even though this was an "easy" decision for him because he can forfeit his salary without worry, it still leaves his team without a starting player, there were still expectations on him that he is opting to prioritize in a different way (and good for him!) and he was considering until their birth still playing anyway. These men still have families, and there is still a virus going around that could touch them or their families. No amount of money being made changes that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter