NBA players complain about food and accommodations at WDW

Difficult decisions for others enjoyment? . They are Overpaid ...for Playing Games.. it’s not exactly brain science lol. Every day people are making decisions about leaving their homes to actually “Care “ for others who are ill/dying. Imho,Those are the ones leaving their own families and making difficult decisions.
No disrespect to you/post but Sports and Salaries rankles me!
It's a business. They are paid for their skill. That happens in many walks of life.
Some people don't like Wall Street, others Hollywood, still another group is annoyed at pro sports.

Enjoy what you enjoy. Not everyone is going to understand or appreciate everything. Like me and opera, it's a solid no. 😊

And I'll add here, I'm a caregiver. I understand plenty about illness etc. I greatly appreciate my loved ones care team...and I also enjoy and appreciate sports.

Difficult decisions for others enjoyment? . They are Overpaid ...for Playing Games.. it’s not exactly brain science lol. Every day people are making decisions about leaving their homes to actually “Care “ for others who are ill/dying. Imho,Those are the ones leaving their own families and making difficult decisions.
No disrespect to you/post but Sports and Salaries rankles me!

They make a percentage of the team’s revenue. I believe the players get 49% and the owners get 51%. So yes, they get a large paycheck. But that’s because the team makes a lot of money.

By whom? By the professional sports leagues who are deciding to move forward with all of this
Clearinghouse claiming you're essential doesn't make you essential.
These men are being asked to make difficult decisions for the enjoyment of others
The enjoyment of others is also not essential.

Medical personnel are essential
Emergency workers - police, fire, EMTs - are essential.
Retail workers are essential.
Professional sports players and teams are not essential.

Last edited:
They make a percentage of the team’s revenue. I believe the players get 49% and the owners get 51%. So yes, they get a large paycheck. But that’s because the team makes a lot of money.

Not quite. Previous revenue sets the salary cap, but the teams have players on contracts that can put teams well over the salary cap. Every team is required to spend at least 90% of its salary cap. Quite a few go over using exceptions (primarily the Bird exception).

The Salary Cap is calculated by multiplying projected Basketball-Related Income (or “BRI”) by 44.74%, less projected player benefits (like health and welfare benefits), and then dividing the result by 30 (the current number of NBA teams; if the NBA expands, to Seattle for example, that number isn’t increased for the first two years the expansion team is part of the league).​

Still - what they make isn't necessarily a share of current year revenues. Most contracts are multiyear and fixed for the current year. Teams then have to account for what happens to future salary caps. It's almost always gone up, but not always. Obviously the revenue is going to be down this year and will likely lower the salary cap in later years. Last season had reduced revenues because one GM angered people in China.

Back before the season began, Houston Rockets GM Daryl Morey tweeted out an image expressing support for protests that were going on in Hong Kong. That was met by a swift, emphatic backlash by Chinese authorities, and the fallout resulted in Rockets games being pulled from Chinese airwaves along with dropped sponsorships.​
The immediate aftermath was a PR nightmare for the NBA, and now its seeing the bill come due in the form of lower revenue. China is a huge market for the league, and even a slight drop in coverage is worth hundreds of millions of dollars for the league.​
The NBA's salary cap is set based on league-wide revenue. The CBA dictates that players receive between 49 and 51 percent of basketball-related income, so functionally speaking, around half of the money that the league loses due to the China controversy will ultimately come out of the cap.​

The only gripe I can understand is the food. We all have to admit that many snacks and food at WDW are not on the healthy end of the spectrum. And I am pretty sure none are high performance meals for professional athletes.In the article link the one guy was showing all these unhealthy snacks that they were given, which surprised me that would even be offered. I have limited experience in catering to a professional soccer team‘s travel needs. When the team was together as a team their dietary needs were very controlled from the team dietitian and Drs. As your performance is dependent also on what you eat. We had to completely redo our service concept to cater to those dietary needs. We were even told to remove all candy bars and sugary snacks and replace with healthier options. I don’t know how the NBA works Maybe players just eat what they can and want.

I don't feel badly for them, but I wouldn't order that food. And I stayed at Coronado Springs once and I did not like it. I definitely would consider it a motel with its outside entrances.

With that being said, now is not the time to take to social media and complain about your workplace accommodations. Many people would be thrilled just to have a job right now.

In a few weeks millions of fans are going to be taking to social media to air their opinions on how these players are performing. These players are giving fans..often paying customers who supply their paycheck... insight into why their game might be suffering. Balanced nutritious meals are necessary to keep athletes at the top of their game. There really is no other way to easily communicate between customers and their players. WDW really needs to do better.

There are plenty of jobs in the US, but almost nobody is willing to move and work as a migrant farmer or school teacher in the inner city or middle of nowhere. These players left their spouses and children behind for months and are just asking for proper food so they can do their job.

Clearinghouse essential doesn't make you essential.

Entertainment for the masses is essential to distract from the stress of daily life and reduce negative behavior. For the majority of adult men this is televised college and professional sports.

Some states included alcohol sales as essential during the shutdown because suddenly throwing tens of thousands of alcoholics into withdraw would have stressed the medical system and for casual users it provided a respite from the stress of the pandemic.

Many people do just fine without alcohol or sports but the reality is that many do need those things.

In a few weeks millions of fans are going to be taking to social media to air their opinions on how these players are performing. These players are giving fans..often paying customers who supply their paycheck... insight into why their game might be suffering. Balanced nutritious meals are necessary to keep athletes at the top of their game. There really is no other way to easily communicate between customers and their players. WDW really needs to do better.

There are plenty of jobs in the US, but almost nobody is willing to move and work as a migrant farmer or school teacher in the inner city or middle of nowhere. These players left their spouses and children behind for months and are just asking for proper food so they can do their job.
Someone up-thread broke down the components of one of the meals that had drawn harsh criticism. It was very nutritionally balanced and provided adequate “quality” calories.

Someone up-thread broke down the components of one of the meals that had drawn harsh criticism. It was very nutritionally balanced and provided adequate “quality” calories.

I'm not sure on the calories being adequate (the food itself looked nutritious). The "menu" appeared to be choices--grilled chicken OR polenta OR pasta with impossible bolognese. The portions looked skimpy for large, world-class athletes. Probably fine for you or me, but these guys top 7 feet tall and put in hours of training/competition daily. It kind of reminded me of when they changed the school lunch menus, and it was fine for non-athletes, but the football players and wrestlers (among other athletes) found them completely inadequate.

I'm not sure on the calories being adequate (the food itself looked nutritious). The "menu" appeared to be choices--grilled chicken OR polenta OR pasta with impossible bolognese. The portions looked skimpy for large, world-class athletes. Probably fine for you or me, but these guys top 7 feet tall and put in hours of training/competition daily. It kind of reminded me of when they changed the school lunch menus, and it was fine for non-athletes, but the football players and wrestlers (among other athletes) found them completely inadequate.
But weren't these the meals while they were in quarantine, before they started training?

But weren't these the meals while they were in quarantine, before they started training?

Yes. Once they're out of the 36 hour quarantine they'll be free to buy their own meals on site.

Wouldn't they still be exercising to get/stay in shape, in preparation for official training? They might ease up a bit in the off season, but would still be keeping their bodies in great physical shape. You can't just show up on Day One of team training with flabby muscles and no endurance. Heck, even HS athletes are expected to train on their own over the summer, well prior to team practices starting.

These players are giving fans..often paying customers who supply their paycheck... insight into why their game might be suffering. Balanced nutritious meals are necessary to keep athletes at the top of their game. There really is no other way to easily communicate between customers and their players. WDW really needs to do better.
A single small box of Doritos and Twix three weeks before they start playing, combined with the actual healthy meal foods we've seen, plus that the players will have private chefs all indicate to me, a civian, that the players will be fine. And don't blame Disney. Blame the entity that arranged for these foods.
Many people do just fine without alcohol or sports but the reality is that many do need those things
Nobody needs sports. Want is not synonymous with need. Enjoy is also not synonymous.
Entertainment for the masses is essential to distract from the stress of daily life and reduce negative behavior. For the majority of adult men this is televised college and professional sports.
I'm not sure on the calories being adequate (the food itself looked nutritious).
Most likely adequate, even more than adequate, arrival week when they're under quarantine.

Clearinghouse claiming you're essential doesn't make you essential.

I agree with you. However, that is not how the situation is being handled for the people involved in this industry, which is part of why I think it's weird that people are acting like the people involved aren't allowed to decompress with a complaint or two.

I agree with you. However, that is not how the situation is being handled for the people involved in this industry, which is part of why I think it's weird that people are acting like the people involved aren't allowed to decompress with a complaint or two.

I guess people are thinking this is tone deaf. Maybe like the football movie (about strike breaking players) where an athlete complains that he needs more money because "Do you know how much it costs to insure a Ferrari?"

I guess people are thinking this is tone deaf. Maybe like the football movie (about strike breaking players) where an athlete complains that he needs more money because "Do you know how much it costs to insure a Ferrari?"

I agree it comes off as tone deaf, I am just surprised by the extent of the vitriol, and the hand waving at these players being expected to perform non-essential services simply because they get paid well for them. It's odd, is all!

Wouldn't they still be exercising to get/stay in shape, in preparation for official training? They might ease up a bit in the off season, but would still be keeping their bodies in great physical shape. You can't just show up on Day One of team training with flabby muscles and no endurance. Heck, even HS athletes are expected to train on their own over the summer, well prior to team practices starting.
Except they're in quarantine. They're not supposed to be leaving their rooms. So how much training are they actually doing? And, one person here (so you know they must be right) said what was presented WAS nutritious for an athlete.

Except they're in quarantine. They're not supposed to be leaving their rooms. So how much training are they actually doing? And, one person here (so you know they must be right) said what was presented WAS nutritious for an athlete.

There might be some confusion over what the quarantine actually is. For those who weren't clear, it's 36 hours in the same hotel room before they can avail themselves of the outside amenities within the "bubble".

There might be some confusion over what the quarantine actually is. For those who weren't clear, it's 36 hours in the same hotel room before they can avail themselves of the outside amenities within the "bubble".
But once they can leave the room, they get more options for meals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter