Neat Aulani tip

donkthemagicllama

Mouseketeer
Was at Aulani Jan 18-25, and quite literally stumbled upon something pretty cool.

If you follow the paved path along the beach as far west as it goes (to the right if you're facing the ocean), you'll get to a point where it ends. This is maybe a 2 minute walk from the Aulani beach gate.

From there, there is an unpaved, slightly rocky path through some bushes, go there. There's a beautiful natural beach. Probably too rocky for swimming, but it's beautiful all the same, and the waves crash up on it in way they don't in the sheltered lagoons. In Hawaii, all beaches are public, so you're not trespassing, even though it's not part of the resort (there's posted signage there telling you as much).

The really neat part, at least when we happened across it, was that Hawaiian Monk Seals sometimes rest there. We saw one there twice. Don't approach one if you see it (volunteers usually come and put a warning sign and fence around one if they are aware of them).

We sat on that rocky beach watching the sunset every night while were there. I have that picture as my screensaver. Heavenly!!

I was told about the end going east the other day. Apparently a great turtle spot! Past the Marriott on the other end (two east of Aulani).

We saw a Hawaiian monk seal there too! It must be a favorite spot. It was very cute and chubby and seemed to sleep a lot. Smelled like fish, which we thought was funny though totally natural. What a great idea to post about it here!

There was also a giant green sea turtle in the Aulani cove. All too cool, what a great resort.

We'll be there in July for the first time. Good to know. Is there a "tips" thread? I tried searching but did not find one.

We'll be there in July for the first time. Good to know. Is there a "tips" thread? I tried searching but did not find one.

I've posted this tip before, but it bears repeating:

$5 Mai-Tai's during Happy Hour at Chuck's Steakhouse at the Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club (They were $4 last year, $5 this year, but $11 @ Aulani). It's a nice walk on a sidewalk that runs right along the ocean shore there---just make sure you can still walk back.

Here's another one:
If you're into trains (and if you're a big Disney fan, that's not so unusual), the only real train on Oahu (maybe all of Hawaii?) actually runs right through Ko Olina. You see the tracks right across from Aulani, you'll cross the tracks driving in.

It's the historic Oahu narrow gauge railway built around 1900, and still runs today. However, it only runs on Sunday. It's a 90 minute ride, and you'll actually go right past Aulani while going through the Ko Olina golf course. I think it's $12 for adults, and $8 for kids and seniors (cash only!). The station is about a 15 minute drive from Aulani, roughly near the Kapolei Costco. Check http://www.hawaiianrailway.com for details. The trip takes you all the way to the ocean, although the scenery on the first half of the trip isn't that interesting until you get to Ko Olina. Bring a drink and go to the bathroom before the train departs though ;)

There is a narrator who tells about the history of the railway and the area, and they have several old trains at the station to see. Well worth it for me and my train-loving 4 year old! I think Disney should partner with them and offer shorter trips from Ko Olina to the coast, it'd would be a great match given Disney's love of trains, and it would be convenient to pick people up right across the street.

$5 Mai-Tai's during Happy Hour at Chuck's Steakhouse at the Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club (They were $4 last year, $5 this year, but $11 @ Aulani). It's a nice walk on a sidewalk that runs right along the ocean shore there---just make sure you can still walk back.

What time is happy hour? And @ $5.00 are they any good? ;)

I will definitely keep this in mind. I love a good Mai-Tai and even at $5, this makes it two for the price of one at Aulani.

Here's another one:
It's the historic Oahu narrow gauge railway built around 1900, and still runs today. However, it only runs on Sunday. It's a 90 minute ride, and you'll actually go right past Aulani while going through the Ko Olina golf course. I think it's $12 for adults, and $8 for kids and seniors (cash only!). The station is about a 15 minute drive from Aulani, roughly near the Kapolei Costco. Check http://www.hawaiianrailway.com for details. The trip takes you all the way to the ocean, although the scenery on the first half of the trip isn't that interesting until you get to Ko Olina. Bring a drink and go to the bathroom before the train departs though ;)

Thanks. Sounds like fun! When we visited Aulani before it was open (but nearly completion) a couple of years ago, our guide told us they had a historic train run through the resort complex, but he didn't know much more about it.

Sir William said:
Thanks. Sounds like fun! When we visited Aulani before it was open (but nearly completion) a couple of years ago, our guide told us they had a historic train run through the resort complex, but he didn't know much more about it.

It's a fun little ride. I think its only on sunday afternoons

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter