Neat Idea for kids and $ before trip

rushins4

Earning My Ears
I have a friend that did this and said it worked great ...I thought it was an awsome idea and will use it when my kids get older...for other vacations as well as Disney ones.
They have 3 children 12, 9 and 4
a few months before the trip they told each one of them that as of RIGHT NOW each child has $100.00 to spend on the trip on ANYTHING they choose to spend it on ...BUT...money can and will be deducted for poor behavior leading up to the trip...example.. ifthe 12 and 9 year old fight something terrible and after so many warnings to stop but just keep fighting they each will have 10.00 deducted... having to have chores or tasks repeated many times and still not being done ...or whatever works for your family the 4 year old did not get the whole concept so much but he older two sure did!! Worked like a charm for them!

Also if I remember right the parents said they would buy one snack type food each day and after that they had to spend their own money. Kept the "gotta haves" down to a minimum.

Thought this might help someone...
Brenda

We usually plan our trips about a year ahead of time. Our daughter (7), is doing chores around the house to earn money. Once a month we go to the Disney store and buy $10 worth of Disney Dollars. She will have about $120 when we go. This buys all Mickey ice cream bars, tatoos, hair wraps and any other souvenirs. She's a lot more frugal when it's her hard earned money.

Last trip they had over $160 each, this trip we are giving them $50 each to spend that they earned themselves around the house. The reason for the big difference is that we were just there in Oct/Nov and we are only going for 6 days this time and the biggie...they don't need anymore silly stuff around here! You know how kids are, they buy the silliest stuff, but it's great to them! However, I like that idea of taking away for bad behavior, afterall, why not if we are going to reward with good! Thanks for the idea!

Slp87, I had to laugh at your post because my dd's are quite fruggle when it comes to spending their own money! If they ask me for something in the store, I always say yes but it's coming out of your money and they alway say "nevermind" lol My twin boys don't care, they'll spend it as long as they get what they want!

I always say, the more you give your kids, the more you can take away! We did the opposite with Disney Dollars - gave them $ for doing things. My little one worked his rear off for weeks.

MY DD COLLECTS BOTTLES TO RECYCLE FROM THE DAY WE GET BACK FROM DISNEY TO A WEEK BEFORE OUR NEXT TRIP (COULD BE 6 MONTHS, OR 1 YEAR). SHE COLLECTED ABOUT 11 MONTHS FOR OUR LAST TRIP AND EARNED ABOUT $175.00 - NOT BAD FOR A 5 YEAR OLD! IT HELPS WHEN ALL THE FAMILY, GRAND, AUNTS, UNCLES, ETC SAVE FOR HER TOO, BUT SHE TAKES EVERY BOTTLE DOWN AND DEPOSITS IT INTO THE MACHINE HERSELF. SHE ALSO IS A LITTLE MORE FRUGAL WITH THE MONEY SHE EARNED.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter