Need a new washer......help me!

I have a Maytag top loading HE type. So far so good with it. The only thing I do not like about it is that it does not have a "quick wash" setting.

RE: Front Loaders... I used to have a front loader, and I never had a problem with it stinking. I was very diligent with keeping it open when not in use, and followed the advice of drying it off really well w/paper towels when I was done with it. I also ran Affresh (not sure how it is spelled) through it on a regular basis. So I never had that problem. Unfortunately the washer itself broke about a month our of warranty. It was a Whirlpool.

I have only had top loaders. Would never get front loader. I have a new Maytag. It is a water saver HE. I love it and cleans well.

I have been reading reviews about the LG display hard to read, do you have that issue?

No. I have not had that issue. The only minor issue I have is that I put laundry baskets on top of the washer, and if I don't put a kitchen towel down it will scratch. My Kenmore was white and I never had it show scratches.

ETA,

Here are some pics of the washer. You can see the towel I have to put down to protect it from scratches (really not a big deal), the other you can see the light display on dial and dashboard. Hope that helps.

Added more, here you can see the door that is not completely closed but is held open slightly by latch. And the rubber seal. I haven’t wiped it down in over a year.

Attachments

• 21CE2372-6EEB-4158-9B93-99CE0D9878EE.jpeg
    21CE2372-6EEB-4158-9B93-99CE0D9878EE.jpeg
    71.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 2DD99031-0301-4004-8003-58984A348519.jpeg
    2DD99031-0301-4004-8003-58984A348519.jpeg
    67.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 1B1D6F96-9251-4D7E-B9D5-7B76FF706F18.jpeg
    1B1D6F96-9251-4D7E-B9D5-7B76FF706F18.jpeg
    42.8 KB · Views: 12
  • A3D56CDB-2BD3-4F29-A7B9-7511ABA30264.jpeg
    A3D56CDB-2BD3-4F29-A7B9-7511ABA30264.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
No. I have not had that issue. The only minor issue I have is that I put laundry baskets on top of the washer, and if I don't put a kitchen towel down it will scratch. My Kenmore was white and I never had it show scratches.

ETA,

Here are some pics of the washer. You can see the towel I have to put down to protect it from scratches (really not a big deal), the other you can see the light display on dial and dashboard. Hope that helps.

Added more, here you can see the door that is not completely closed but is held open slightly by latch. And the rubber seal. I haven’t wiped it down in over a year.
Thank you so much for the pics and advice. I am still so torn about the top load and front load LOL. I hate making decisions. Some of my friends have the top load without agitator and love theirs. This is a hard decision.

Thank you so much for the pics and advice. I am still so torn about the top load and front load LOL. I hate making decisions. Some of my friends have the top load without agitator and love theirs. This is a hard decision.

Understand completely. When ours died I knew I was getting a top loader. lol, WRONG! My research led me to the LG. (Maytag front loader was my second choice, but the LG was on a great sale and became the deciding factor.)

Whatever you get, I hope you love it.

I have a 15 yr old top loader with agitator and hope it never dies.

Those of you with front loaders that have to stay propped open, how do you do that if it is in a narrow space? Ours is in the "back hall" with washer/dryer on one side, coat closet on the other, and door at the end that leads to the dog yard, so we're walking through there multiple times a day. I can only imagine whacking into that (slightly?) open door repeatedly (because I am a klutz, I admit it.)

My DSM bought a top load Speed Queen last year and loves it. She's always washing farm clothes, dog towels, etc, and swears by how clean they come out.

Terri

Miele is a brand I had never heard of. Apparently they are located in Germany and make VERY high end appliances. My concern would be finding someone to service it and the availability/cost of parts.

Those of you with front loaders that have to stay propped open, how do you do that if it is in a narrow space? Ours is in the "back hall" with washer/dryer on one side, coat closet on the other, and door at the end that leads to the dog yard, so we're walking through there multiple times a day. I can only imagine whacking into that (slightly?) open door repeatedly (because I am a klutz, I admit it.)
Our isn't in a narrow space, but we literally leave it open 1-2" (like leaving a door cracked). It's not wide open.

Now I am considering the top load HE machine and torn between LG or Maytag. Sales dept is saying LG hard to find parts because it is Korean. However, not planning on it breaking so I want the one which will last longer ha ha.

Miele is a brand I had never heard of. Apparently they are located in Germany and make VERY high end appliances. My concern would be finding someone to service it and the availability/cost of parts.

I have their vacuum and I LOVE it! Easy to find service center for Miele vacuums as when I took my Dyson in, they carried Miele and that is how I found out about the brand.

But you're right, I had no idea they did other appliances so my guess is that it could be hard to find service if it broke.

Now I am considering the top load HE machine and torn between LG or Maytag. Sales dept is saying LG hard to find parts because it is Korean. However, not planning on it breaking so I want the one which will last longer ha ha.

Have you looked at Consumers Reports?

I have a 15 yr old top loader with agitator and hope it never dies.

Those of you with front loaders that have to stay propped open, how do you do that if it is in a narrow space?
Ours is in the "back hall" with washer/dryer on one side, coat closet on the other, and door at the end that leads to the dog yard, so we're walking through there multiple times a day. I can only imagine whacking into that (slightly?) open door repeatedly (because I am a klutz, I admit it.)

My DSM bought a top load Speed Queen last year and loves it. She's always washing farm clothes, dog towels, etc, and swears by how clean they come out.

Terri

Look at my picture on post #47 of the full washing machine. It is propped open by the latch. Hard to tell, but it is. :)

Look at my picture on post #47 of the full washing machine. It is propped open by the latch. Hard to tell, but it is. :)
Now I just saw a video of a Maytag Bravos top load machine that has mold and mildew under the drum. UGH cannot escape it even with top loaders.

No I dont want to pay for the membership I need to save the money for the new washer ha ha

I wish I still had it, I would find out for you. CR was the kicker in abandoning the top loader. The reviews were abysmal for the most top loaders.

By the 2 salesman I spoke with at Home Depot and Best Buy before buying ours, they both highly recommended LG and Maytag. Those were the brands they said were the best, and they were very comparable in quality.

Now I just saw a video of a Maytag Bravos top load machine that has mold and mildew under the drum. UGH cannot escape it even with top loaders.

If you really loved your Kenmore except for the seal, then I would tell you to try another front loader. The seal on the LG is NOTHING like our old one. I was just as skeptical as you and have been pleasantly surprised.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter