Need a reality check. How many RDs are you able to do with an 8.5 year old?

My kids aren't a problem for Rope Drop. Even taking into consideration the time change (Florida is an hour later than what we're used to) I can easily get them up and to a park by 9am. They usually get up between 6 & 7 our time, so that's 7 or 8, Disney time.

DH is my problem 'child'. He loathes getting up early on vacation. Taking a break every day, so he can take a nap, is our compromise.

I wouldn't completely rule out being able to take a break. Some of the off property hotels are closer than some of the Disney hotels. Since you'll be driving yourselves, if you do really get there before Rope Drop every day, your car will be parked really close (everywhere except the Magic Kingdom) so in some cases it may be faster than someone using Disney transport to go to a hotel on property.

Overall, be flexible. You may find after a day or two that your plans just don't work for your family.

My kids are 12 and 7, last trip they were 11 and 6; we did RD just about everyday. I think its more about knowing your kids and if they can handle it. We also did late nights and breaks during the day. My kids are natural early risers so they were fine (even with the late nights) to get up early and be at RD. I say try it, if it works great, if not adjust your plan as the week goes on. There is nothing wrong with playing with your schedule once your there!

The day I worry about is you AK RD after a late MK night. You know your family, but mine would suffer. E would manage RD, but that might be a rough day for us.

My only suggestion is to make sure you are amenable to changing the plan if need be. We have a lot of RD planned on our August trip, but we know that we are getting in early, and then getting the heck out of Dodge when the sun hits high in the sky. WE spend the afternoons back at the resort, swimming and tghen a nap and shower, and a later dinner when it is cooler.

I have been informed by my two little Princesses that they are "too big" for naps, and have informed them that they can sleep or not, they will rest. I figure by day two they will nap, LOL!

all of them.....my 9 year old (going since 6) can hit them everyday. but we are from Nova Scotia so 9 am in Fl is 10 am at home and he has to be up at 7am (6am Fl time) for school at home, and plays hard outside everyday for hours. Hes used to the no resting lifestyle.

When I was 8 we did a similar intensity. We went all day every day with early starts and late night dinners. To be honest I think I was awake for one, maybe two dinners. My family shoved me (and my cousins who were around the same age) under the table at the restaurant. You have to know your child though. I have nieces who would be miserable and cranky if we did the same thing with them. They need an afternoon break to relax.

Depends on your child. We always do RD with our kids all but about one day. They are early risers awake by 6 often and sometimes sleeping in til 7! Thus RD is our friend . This has been the case from ages 1 to 9 during our trips.

I would say go for it but limit your evenings some nights so bedtime isn't after 10 each one.

I think it also depends on the time of RD. When we go in the summer onsite it is 7/8. Offsite in the fall is 9. Huge difference. Plus, what's for breakfast? Are you planning on having her eat at the offsite before leaving or grabbing and eating on the way? That also adds/subtracts 20 minutes. I like your plan. I think a big first day, and end day 2 early makes sense. Then you can get up early for US for both days. But use the convenience of going back for a swim break. And the DHS day and DTD evening fit perfectly too. My only concern would be the Epcot day. That is a lot of walking and a full day. Since your meal is early, I would just have in mind if the family is not enjoying the park that evening, might want to bail on Illuminations. Or even just walk to the Boardwalk/Beach Club and rent a boat/bike, eat ice cream, take a boat ride. Just to get away from the crowds and sit for a bit.

We always do rope drop, even when our kids were babies and toddlers. We do still do afternoon breaks though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter