need advice for WDW marathon vets

LindaBabe

DIS Veteran
A team of 10 marathoners and their supporters will be coming to first Disneyland 1/2 marathon in September 2006. Most of us have never been in California before and none to Disneyland. We'll be there 4 days - some staying on property and the rest in Candy Cane inn.

May we have your best advice, please?

we have pages and pages of great advice........maybe narrow it down a little for us :)

:wave2:
We are WDW marathon vets going to DL too! :yay: (Well, DH is the crazy runner. I am the crazy pin person. :lmao: )
We have only been to DL once 5 years ago. But I am looking forward to this visit, and others to follow. :grouphug:
Our first (and last) trip years ago we were so amazed how CLOSE everything is. You know how WDW is -- everything is miles apart, at least by road travel. (Loopy roads)
Everything is so darn convenient at DL. That part really spoils guests! :cool1:
I'll feel a little like a fish out of water too at DL. But I am sure I will get accustomed!
I need to dig out my lime green ribbon I guess! :smooth:

Although I've been reading this forum for a month, I still feel like I don't know enough to ask a specific intelligent question. We ALL know the strategies for finding what we need and the drill for getting around WDW, but the whole team are babes in the woods when it comes to Disneyland.

For example, I was dumbfounded to find I couldn't call up and get a priority seating for 20 for lunch. So then I inquired for group sales. Oh, That's for conventions, I was told. Hmm. Don't people ever take a few of t heir closest friends with them when they travel to Disneyland?

So - I wondered what else we don't know that we don't know?

I was wondering if there was anyone else on these boards planning to run the DL Half Marathon! I was looking for threads on the topic and found this one. I am looking forward to it - I live in San Diego and have done the WDW marathon and half marathon.

Unlike at WDW, from any of the nearby hotels (Disney and non-Disney) you can easily walk to the DL/DCA park entrances - Candy Cane Inn is probably a 7-10 minute walk, and the on-property hotels are about the same - GC is a little closer.

You'll probably find that the layout of Disneyland is a bit confusing when you're used to the Magic Kingdom - Haunted Mansion and Thunder Mountain aren't at all where you expect them to be! :-) And Downtown Disney is RIGHT THERE in the middle of things instead of being miles away from the parks.

Ticket options are different - DL doesn't have the whole "Magic Your Way" ticket thing - you can get a one day, one park ticket or 1-5 day park hopper ticket. DL does not offer a non-expiring park hopper ticket like WDW does - but since it doesn't sound like you are going to be frequent visitors, that's probably not an issue!

Does that help, or maybe help you think of other questions?

Laura

I called last week and made a few dining reservations. I was surprised not to be given an ADR number. When I asked, the reply was they are more informal there.
So that was a little different!
I remember at DL too how surprised I was at the (small) size of the gift shops. And not near as many as WDW.
DL Fantasmic is by far better than WDW, as are some of their attractions (PotC, HM). Toon Town is a blast I think. While the WDW off shoot version pales by comparison. (Mickey's Fair, or whatver it is called.)

The biggest tip is to get to the parks prior to opening and proceed directly to Fantasy land.....knock out all of the rides, go to tomorrow land and knock those out, then get a FP for Indy, go ride pirates and JC until your return time, get a fp for Splash.......tour around until return time.......then it is time to get out of dodge and head over to DCA!

I love DL, but by lunch time it is always too crowded for me. I then do DCA rides, go swiming, eat at DD, then return to DL until closing. DL at twilight through closing is my favorite time. The lighting is just magical.

of course that is just one touring plan out of many!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter