• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need advice from the business minded : kids youtube channel conflict

I don’t see this as a business venture but otherwise agree and said as much in my first response.

Its not a business venture per se, but my point is that these kids are making money and essentially have a responsibility with YouTube. OP can leverage the situation into a teachable moment. Working through this is a good lesson for both business and life.

Its not a business venture per se, but my point is that these kids are making money and essentially have a responsibility with YouTube. OP can leverage the situation into a teachable moment. Working through this is a good lesson for both business and life.

To me the biggest issue going forward would be the relationship between the brothers. The 12 year old needs to be given a crash course in not letting others take advantage of him, standing his ground. The 15 year old needs to be set straight in no uncertain terms that this behavior toward his brother will not be tolerated going forward.

This is pretty low stakes at this point. Something to bear in mind that these types of things are precisely where the seeds of longstanding family conflicts are frequently sown. Think back to threads on this board alone where a sibling is talking about conflict with a sibling or two and will mention "that's how s/he always was from the time we were kids". The biggest concern to me going forward would be the relationship between my kids.

To me the biggest issue going forward would be the relationship between the brothers. The 12 year old needs to be given a crash course in not letting others take advantage of him, standing his ground. The 15 year old needs to be set straight in no uncertain terms that this behavior toward his brother will not be tolerated going forward.

This is pretty low stakes at this point. Something to bear in mind that these types of things are precisely where the seeds of longstanding family conflicts are frequently sown. Think back to threads on this board alone where a sibling is talking about conflict with a sibling or two and will mention "that's how s/he always was from the time we were kids". The biggest concern to me going forward would be the relationship between my kids.

Agree, which is why I called it a teachable moment. Not only from the business aspect, but also from the life aspect - the 15 year old needs to understand the other's perspective and the 12 year old needs to learn to stand his ground, as you said. It comes down to parlaying the situation into something positive through teaching these lessons, so its good the OP is taking a step back to consider how to handle it.

It's pretty awesome that your kids were able to do this. Honestly if DS15 is unwilling to compromise at 50% I think you need to act in the best interest of DS12 and say that his income-generating video will be pulled from the channel because it is his intellectual property. I would say that really as parents you have a huge say in this too. You are providing resources (your home, utilities, computers, gaming consoles). If DS15 isn't going to play fair, tell him you're going to start charging rent as a bargaining tool.

IMO keeping your word is worth more than the money.

Harvey Levin & the lawyers on TMZ have said there IS such a thing as some verbal agreements being legally binding. Most stars, producers & directors make deals all the time over drinks, dinner and at those splashy parties they all go to. They don't necessarily make deals in a boardroom first. They sit down later and write it all out and flesh in the smaller details.

So I agree, DS 15 should be taught to have integrity and keep his word. This is also a good teachable moment for both of the boys to be careful what deals & agreements one makes, as it may not always turn out in their favor later. It sucks, but, a deal is a deal. That is WHY stuff gets written down later, as one side will invariably think it's unfair as things change. As a PP said about sharing the newspaper route with her sister, moving forward, both parties can renegotiate as things have changed. But, being taught, keeping their word to what was already agreed upon is important.

If either don’t like the set up they are free to start their own channel and stop contributing to the shared channel. However at this point the subs and content are a shared product and there isn’t a good way to divide it (since the good video might have brought people in but they’re staying for the new content vs only the good video makes money. It’s hard to really figure that out or to decide on “worth”).

I was thinking the same thing. It's hard to know if that one video is really making all the money or that viewers who came upon that video FIRST, bookmarked that video and when they come back to see new content, they click on the same old bookmark. DS12's video loads, he makes money, while the viewers are looking for the latest link that shows up on the page to DS15's live stream stuff. People usually don't change bookmarks. So WHO is really making money, according to which video gets the most hits, may not be accurate.

This is why I said in a previous post, DS15 needs to have little pop-up boxes appear on the videos re-linking viewers to his live stream channel and telling them to bookmark the new link, if he gets a separate channel. At first, people will, as usual click on DS12's content. But as they get directed to DS15's stuff and bookmark his channel, and later go directly to his content, it may be clearer which boy has the more popular content.

It is also dependent on tags. The way the boys titled, described and tagged their videos determine when & how they show up in the YouTube & Google searches and how far up the list they appear. DS15 probably helped DS12 with all that with the most popular video.

Would I be concerned about the lessons my kids were learning about integrity, character, ethics, business and how to conduct yourself? Absolutely. I stand hard on the biggest fish to fry here being how the kids learn to behave with each other and how they both come out of this situation thinking about one another.

As far as the idea about what lawyers have to say about the legal binding power of verbal agreements, that's moot when you're talking about a 12 year old and a 15 year old. They have no ability to be legally bound by contracts, verbal or written, at this point.

Would I be concerned about the lessons my kids were learning about integrity, character, ethics, business and how to conduct yourself? Absolutely. I stand hard on the biggest fish to fry here being how the kids learn to behave with each other and how they both come out of this situation thinking about one another.

As far as the idea about what lawyers have to say about the legal binding power of verbal agreements, that's moot when you're talking about a 12 year old and a 15 year old. They have no ability to be legally bound by contracts, verbal or written, at this point.

I'm saying that there is a bigger picture here. How they learn to deal with stuff NOW becomes how they make deals later on when they are older. So the way they learn to make verbal agreements now may become the way they make legal verbal agreements later in life. Teach them now to honor their word, so there is not difference when what they do & say does have legal consequences. It shouldn't be, "What I do and say as an adult matters, whereas when I was only 15, it didn't really count." (Of course, the repercussions aren't the same as for an adult. But, to a 12 & 15 year old, getting paid fairly for their efforts does mean a lot. So, it's all relative.)

Last edited:
Fix it now! 50/50 or nothing. Parents no doubt paid for the video games, internet access, computer to access, etc. So you can play the fine if you don't agree then I take a cut for my investment.

I say this from experience. A very good friend, his brother and their Father actually formed and filed the paperwork for a company together when the sons were teenagers. Dad owned a Garden Nursery and ran it. Both boys worked there. Oldest son wanted nothing to do with it once he got to college. After one year of college he married his high school sweetheart and went a different direction with work. Younger son delays college, lives at home, works with Dad and postpones college. Years later the younger brother breaks a little from Dad because Dad is old and slowing down. Younger brother wants to start his own business and because they have this incorporated company with the three of them that has done nothing for years decides he can save some bucks by using it again so he offers older brother $2,000 to buy him out. Company has never produced a penney of income. Older brother says okay. Younger Brother works his butt off and the company provides mulch, fertilizer, compost and garden products to one of the largest, well known grocery chains in Texas today. Older brother says he got screwed and to this day tension remains and Dad is gone and those issues and feelings will never go away. Older brother is 60, younger is 58.

Don't let something like this ruin your kids relationship so young, in the end family is all you have, protect it, nourish it, grow it.

Hi everyone! I could use some advice on how to come to a fair resolution for my kids and their youtube channel. How everything has played out is complicated, so I'll explain.

DS12 created a youtube channel for himself in 2016. He created pokemon videos just for fun and had a few subscribers. He received a capture card for his birthday in late 2017, and started making video game videos. One of the first ones he made became very popular at one point and continues to be.

DS15 had his own channel as well, but didn't do a lot with it. He started making the video game videos as well, for DS12's channel, and the boys were working together well. Many of the videos the boys did together.

Into the spring 2018 the channel starts receiving a lot of subscribers and a lot of views on their videos. DS15 is contributing more now, the boys agree that they will share the channel. DS15 starts doing live streams of video game play on it.

Over the summer, DS12 starts to get edged out a bit. DS 15 kind of takes ownership of it with the live streaming. The boys have put in to monetize the channel months ago, but the process is long. DS 15 takes the channel over and DS12 agrees to it and starts up a new channel. I tried to let the boys come to an agreement on their own without DS12 getting the short end of the stick. I told them when the monetization came through, they would have to share the profits 50/50.

The channel has been now earning $ for three months, and the amount coming in is more than we all thought. About $275 a month, which is a lot to them. DS15 is now being surly about giving DS12 his 50%. His arguments are that the channel gained popularity when he took it over and he's has been making videos for the channel on his own.

I just checked, and right now 89% of the channels revenue comes from the popular video DS12 made. I'd like to get this resolved and put in writing so their will be no more discussion or conflict about it. I still think the boys should share the profit 50/50, and probably should do that for the life of the channel, since that is what we all initially agreed to.

Right now the $ is being put into an account that belongs to DS15. We have not yet asked him to pull any $ out to give to DS12.

Can anyone give some insight on a more fair way to do this? I don't want this to be a problem when DS15 leaves our home, and is harder to force him to share the $. Should we set up a joint paypal and is that even possible? We also have to decide a way to fairly set aside $ to pay the taxes.

Thanks for any direction with this, I did not see a lot of this coming, or I would have handled it differently and told DS15 to stay with his own channel.

Been awhile since I been on here. Interesting issue.

This has to be hammered out contractually. Family sits and makes up contract. A real one.

I would get it legal in some way. It is no joke anymore.

Since they are minors you would need to do some extra leg work, since the whole deal with minors not being able to enter into a legal contract. I would not want the 12yo to get screwed over once the older once turns 18 and is ABLE to boot his brother legally.

Bottom line, if you are going to run a business, you cannot skip legal parts of the set up because it is family or age.

Or they go their separate ways with their own channels. Which is not a bad idea either.

Have older brother pay out younger brother for his previous work and then he does nothing after that on brothers site.

JMO

I'm saying that there is a bigger picture here. How they learn to deal with stuff NOW becomes those deals later on when they are older. So the way they learn to make verbal agreements now may become the way they make legal verbal agreements later in life. Teach them now to honor their word, not later, when what they do & say does have legal consequences. Then there isn't a problem with, "Now when I say something, it's legal. Whereas before, I was only 15 and it didn't count." Which is actually a theme going on now in current events, that a 17 yr old boy's actions and how he may have allegedly handled himself doesn't count 35 years later.

As I stated above, IMO the biggest issue going forward is the relationship between the brothers and the potential impact on the family. I am not unaware of the potential implications of the other aspects of this behavior pattern if left unchecked and elected not to post my own thoughts in that direction because frankly I thought it would potentially raise OP's hackles considering older brother has thus far apparently been allowed to inexplicably both coopt all of the revenue stream and stonewall even parental requests to turn over his brother's share to this point.

I disagree there's much likelihood either one will have extensive need for particular experience in verbal legal agreements in their future.

So, inquiring minds want to know... What is the name of the Youtube channel and which games do they play? My 11 year old likes to watch these. If you'd rather not post publicly, you can PM me. :)

Been awhile since I been on here. Interesting issue.

This has to be hammered out contractually. Family sits and makes up contract. A real one.

I would get it legal in some way. It is no joke anymore.

Since they are minors you would need to do some extra leg work, since the whole deal with minors not being able to enter into a legal contract. I would not want the 12yo to get screwed over once the older once turns 18 and is ABLE to boot his brother legally.

Bottom line, if you are going to run a business, you cannot skip legal parts of the set up because it is family or age.

Or they go their separate ways with their own channels. Which is not a bad idea either.

Have older brother pay out younger brother for his previous work and then he does nothing after that on brothers site.

JMO

Sorry, but I say the younger brother needs better representation if that's the deal on the table. As I understand it the entire idea stemmed from his inspiration, he set up the channel and his video is the most profitable asset in the content portfolio. His brother reaching 18 sooner should not trump younger brother's stake.

Sorry, but I say the younger brother needs better representation if that's the deal on the table. As I understand it the entire idea stemmed from his inspiration, he set up the channel and his video is the most profitable asset in the content portfolio. His brother reaching 18 sooner should not trump younger brother's stake.

He does, not going to argue that. I think splitting 50/50 is generous for the older brother if he is doing less work to be honest.

That is why they have to hammer it out on paper what it expected.

He does, not going to argue that. I think splitting 50/50 is generous for the older brother if he is doing less work to be honest.

That is why they have to hammer it out on paper what it expected.

:offtopic: Sorry to take this off topic!!! Hope you are doing well Mystery Machine; I have wondered how you have been?! Good to see you again! Carry on!:P

Given that they are brothers, I would say to share 50/50. My son streams too, small world! My daughter has a channel with Minecraft let's plays that she created, she's got a decent amount of subscribers for a 7 year old and her brother helps us polish the videos before posting, but her channel is not monetized. Anyway, if my kids decided to collaborate on one channel and were having this issue, I would tell them they needed to split 50/50 or not work together. Or maybe they can split it into thirds with you putting aside one third as a rainy day fund?

From a business perspective I’d start charging them rent for the use of room, appliances, and utilities they used in their business, but that’s me.

Hi everyone! I could use some advice on how to come to a fair resolution for my kids and their youtube channel. How everything has played out is complicated, so I'll explain.

DS12 created a youtube channel for himself in 2016. He created pokemon videos just for fun and had a few subscribers. He received a capture card for his birthday in late 2017, and started making video game videos. One of the first ones he made became very popular at one point and continues to be.

DS15 had his own channel as well, but didn't do a lot with it. He started making the video game videos as well, for DS12's channel, and the boys were working together well. Many of the videos the boys did together.

Into the spring 2018 the channel starts receiving a lot of subscribers and a lot of views on their videos. DS15 is contributing more now, the boys agree that they will share the channel. DS15 starts doing live streams of video game play on it.

Over the summer, DS12 starts to get edged out a bit. DS 15 kind of takes ownership of it with the live streaming. The boys have put in to monetize the channel months ago, but the process is long. DS 15 takes the channel over and DS12 agrees to it and starts up a new channel. I tried to let the boys come to an agreement on their own without DS12 getting the short end of the stick. I told them when the monetization came through, they would have to share the profits 50/50.

The channel has been now earning $ for three months, and the amount coming in is more than we all thought. About $275 a month, which is a lot to them. DS15 is now being surly about giving DS12 his 50%. His arguments are that the channel gained popularity when he took it over and he's has been making videos for the channel on his own.

I just checked, and right now 89% of the channels revenue comes from the popular video DS12 made. I'd like to get this resolved and put in writing so their will be no more discussion or conflict about it. I still think the boys should share the profit 50/50, and probably should do that for the life of the channel, since that is what we all initially agreed to.

Right now the $ is being put into an account that belongs to DS15. We have not yet asked him to pull any $ out to give to DS12.

Can anyone give some insight on a more fair way to do this? I don't want this to be a problem when DS15 leaves our home, and is harder to force him to share the $. Should we set up a joint paypal and is that even possible? We also have to decide a way to fairly set aside $ to pay the taxes.

Thanks for any direction with this, I did not see a lot of this coming, or I would have handled it differently and told DS15 to stay with his own channel.

If 89% of the revenue comes from DS12's work, why shouldn't DS12 get 89% of the profits? You can open a joint account for them, and then have them split it from there if it will help alleviate any conflict between them.

If it generates revenue, regardless of whether you are mowing lawns or hosting some online content, then to me it is a business and certain agreements need to be made among the involved people to avoid ongoing issues. The parents can help provide guidance in that regard. I can't tell you what % is right, but it seems you don't want to keep quibbling about the % each time new content is added (i.e. what if a new video is added that now generates MORE revenue than the prior content???). That would also encourage the 2 brothers to work TOGETHER to add content and keep the site interesting, rather then an ongoing struggle over which contributor is generating the greater income.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter