Need advice on a summer vacation to Chicago

jimmiej

I invented the Naked Segway Tour
Me(43), DW(42), & two DDs(20 & 17) are going to Chicago for our summer vacation June 13-20 or 21. Never been before. Looking for a nice but reasonable hotel near Michigan Ave.(Magnificent Mile?). Something along the lines of Hampton Inn or maybe Marriott. No scary neighborhoods please. Would prefer to fly into Midway. Definite things we want to do:

-see Cubs game
-see White Sox game
-shop
-eat(alot ;) )
-take a tour of the city

What advice can you give me? I am currently reading the UG to Chicago. I also ordered some info from the C of C.

Thanks for any help.

:D

Well....I live in the area but don't get to stay in the city much. I do know the Sheraton on the lakefront is beautiful.....was lucky enough to eat at Shula's there once. It's a bit pricey, but close to Navy Pier and you can catch the water taxi from pier to other attractions. The Marriot courtyard is pretty nice as well, less $$, in the Loop, safe area I think it is on N. Michigan Ave. Most places will hit you for rack rates as our summer is short and everyone tries to grab it for all it's worth! Entertainment book blocks out a lot of summer dates for hotels, but go to www.entertainmentbook.com anyway and see if you can get a discount. Some can't be booked 'till 30 days out and that can be risky. I do lnow there is a citypass you can buy for about $49-$50 per person that will allow you to see alll the museums/aquariums. If you do want to see 3 or more it is worth it.Just remember to ask what the fee is forparking if you are renting a car...it can be about $30 per night depending on the hotel. I will see what else I can come up with.

You can check out www.877chicago.com for some great things to do in the city and info about them. I think it hooks up to the Convention and Visitor Bureaus site.

Here is the site for the White Sox...

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/homepage/cws_homepage.jsp

If it's really hot - the Sox game won't be that fun but it's generally a pretty nice time and they have good food at their park!!! ;)

The Lion King will be in Chicago during that time also. We are going to be in the City the 13th, 14th, and 15th. Maybe we can hook up for dinner one of those nights....let me know more info as you get things booked and lined up....there are some AWESOME restaurants!!!! One of our favorites, and kids like it too, is Giordanno's. Good italian food and reasonably priced!!!

Also that weekend (same 13, 14, 15) is a Golf Championship about 30 minutes from the city but they are really boasting the city. Here are some rates they are putting up for that weekend right now...

http://www.877chicago.com/hotels_usopen_downtown.html

My personal preference is to stay away from the Essex hotel and the Congress - very old hotels and not very comfortable to stay in - no pool, etc.

I just checked hotels.com and here is what they had also -
http://www.hotels.com/process_searc...ear=2003&numrooms=1&numadults=2&numchildren=2

Also make sure to check the Marriott site if you are interested in their hotels - Hampton, Marriott, Fairfield, Courtyard. If I can help any other way with the hotels and locations - feel free to PM me and I'll see what I can help with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter