Need Advice on Counter Service

WendyCFG

Mouseketeer
We're going to WDW in December, and have planned character meals twice a day. (I know... please don't give me a hard time. It's one of our favorite things to do, and it gives us a nice break from our commando tactics... haha)

For Counter Service... I like Tusker House in Animal Kingdom, and I love the hot dog stand at MGM... yum!

I wanted to ask what Counter Service Restaurants everyone would recommend in Magic Kingdom and Epcot?

And which ones to avoid?

Thanks!
Wendy

Two character meals in one day! Yikes! ;)

In Epcot, I like the Land because of the variety and some healthier choices, the Electric Umbrella for burgers, and the Japanese fast food...can't remember the name right now.

In MK, we've had decent meals at Pecos Bills...I think that's the name...the one in Frontierland.

No particular favourites at MK but in Epcot it's got to be the Yaki whatsit at Japan!! Shogun combo.. yum!! Mike.

On our last visit we tried both Cosmic Ray's and the Plaza Pavilion(after getting advice from here, too;) ) Cosmic Ray's is nice and the dining area is inside. Warning--the stacked sandwich is huge!! The Plaza Pavilion had a yummy salad that was a nice change from chicken fingers, burgers and fries. At Epcot we find ourselves eating at the San Angel Cantina more than any other counter service.

What's wrong with two character meals in one day? DH and I (no kids even) will frequently do that on a trip. :D We just love the character meals!

As for counter service -- I've had decent to good counter-service food at Pecos Bills (Frontierland), Pinocchio's Village Haus (Fantasyland), and Cosmic Ray's (Tomorrowland). I've also heard that Columbia Harbour House (Liberty Square) is good, but I've never tried them. The only counter service we've done at Epcot that is still there is Yakatori House in Japan. We used to get a fairly good chicken parm with pasta at a place in Future World, but I've heard they're rarely open any more.

I agree with Pinocchio's Village Haus in Frontierland. We were there at the end of April and the food was good. In addition, you can get a seat that overlooks where riders get on Small World - which was kind of neat.

I also second Pecos Bills - tasted great

Another vote for Cosmic Ray's Starlite Cafe...It's reasonably priced, portions are good, and variety is also good.

In the MK if you have kids I would reccommend Cosmic Ray's! My kids loved the entertainment and they have a nice variety of choices. If you just want a burger though I would choose Pecos Bills, they have a great fixins bar for the burgers!!

In Epcot I'd have to say the Land just for the variety of choices. Though we do like the Electric Umbrella as well.

Have fun!!

We've never been to WDW before, but I'm determined to try the clam chowder at Columbia House.

Any votes for the Tangierian Cafe at EPCOT? Wanted to try that one too...

As luck has it our CRT is on the same day as out MNSSHP LTT ressie :)

Can y'all help me with something? I was curious at what time the counter service places closes at MK if the park closes at 7? Can I still order something from Pecos Bills around that time while the exodus leaves? Thanks :)

All sound great, Last Dec. we had early morning at MK but late lunch at CRT...we stoped in at Columbia Harbour House in Liberty Square...had New England clam chowder served in a bread bowl.
It was great...went upstairs and had nice relaxing rest. :)

Just read your post and checked out the menu for Tangieriane Cafe...looks like I have another new place to check-out...Can't wait to try Shawarma Platter.:tongue:

Cosmic Ray's for one reason: FREE CHEESE.

Plus a really good toppings bar and pretty good variety of food with the chicken, burgers, and salad lines.

At MK we like Cosmic Ray's (such a variety of things to choose from) and Columbia Harbor House. We probably eaten at most all counter service places there; but those 2 are our favorites.

In Epcot we usually go to The Land Pavillion or grab a burger in America!

MK- Two best counter services are Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe and Pecos Bill's. Both have wonderful Condiment Bars.

Epcot- Variety: Sunshine Season Food Fair(Land pavillion)
Traditional Fare: Electric Umbrella
Something New: Yaka Tori House in Japan

Originally posted by FFerret

Can y'all help me with something? I was curious at what time the counter service places closes at MK if the park closes at 7? Can I still order something from Pecos Bills around that time while the exodus leaves? Thanks :)

I don't know about all the counter service restaurants, but I know I was there once when I wanted to get something from Pinocchio's about an hour before the park closed and that restaurant was already closed. So don't count on being able to get something from a counter service until the park closes. I *think* all the Main Street counter service places may stay open, but I'm not sure on that either.

We love Cosmic Rays in DW (the chicken and garlic potatoes are outstanding!). At Epcot we also enjoy The Land - lots of good choices - enough to please the whole family! In Future World we enjoyed the counter service Mexican restaurant Cantina de San Angel. Enjoy!!

Thanks for Everyone for the help!!! I really appreciate all of your posts. I think we'll definitely have to try Columbia Harbor House and Sunshine Season Food Fair. I'll probably have to stop at Casey's for a Hot Dog too since I found out that my Favorite place for Hot Dogs at MGM doesn't sell them anymore. Oh well... Casey's are a close second.

By the way... about the 2 Character Meals in a Day... We do that everyday that we are there. No kids... it's Me (I'm 34) and my Mom. This year, my stepdad is going with us. He doesn't get as excited about Pooh and Mickey as we do, but he does like good food, so we spend alot of time planning meals.

We tour the parks the way alot of you call "commando style" :) mainly because it does us no good to go back to the room and rest... We're at Disney!! and we're too excited to rest... haha
It seems to me that if our Meals are planned right, the whole day goes better. I guess because that's our only really down time between 6am and Midnight.

Thanks again to everyone! And any other advice is more than welcome.

I'll be another to vote for Columbia Harbour House. I went there with my mom and my two kids. We loved it. We had the New England Clam Chowder in the bread bowl and my daughter had the fish and chips. We all loved it.

My favorite counter service item in all of WDW is the tuna sandwich at Columbia Harbour House. But Pecos Bill's is also a favorite because of the great toppings bar.

At Epcot, I like to eat at the Norwegian cafe or I like to snack "around the world" again going to the Norwegian cafe and maybe getting a dessert at the French bakery.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter