Need advice on how many points to buy

Noreaster15

Earning My Ears
I'm new to the market for DVC and slightly overwhelmed with the amount of info out there, but I think I'm finally getting the understanding of DVC. My question pertains to how many points I should purchase.

My DS + DD only plan on going to Disney every other year. If a 7 night stay, for example, at GF costs 169 pts then would I only need an 85 point contact since I'd be able to bank or borrow every other year? I can't think of any basic reason to buy more based on our Disney vacation schedules.

Thanks!

I'm new to the market for DVC and slightly overwhelmed with the amount of info out there, but I think I'm finally getting the understanding of DVC. My question pertains to how many points I should purchase.

My DS + DD only plan on going to Disney every other year. If a 7 night stay, for example, at GF costs 169 pts then would I only need an 85 point contact since I'd be able to bank or borrow every other year? I can't think of any basic reason to buy more based on our Disney vacation schedules.

Thanks!
You're correct in terms of how the points work. You could buy an 85 point contract and use 170 points every other year. The only slight caveat is that VGF studios tend to book very quickly during popular DVC times (which may be different than popular times for the general public), even at 11 months, with standard going faster than lake view. Some people will buy slightly more points than they need to give them some flexibility to book a more expensive room if needed. For example, getting a 100 point contract gives you access to a lake view studio in the same season, which opens up your options a bit. 1 beds tend to go last, but obviously a big jump in points.

Last edited:
I think that most people tend to be short points. Getting rid of any extra is a good excuse for adding a couple of days to your vacation! :-)

:earsboy: Bill

Thanks!
As a minimum I'd give yourself a cushion of around 20% if looking mainly at studios and if GF is the main focus, I'd also buy for Lake view not standard. So for 7 nights magic season for a studio I'd buy an absolute min of 100 but more in the 120 point range or even 150. Ultimately I'd let the quality and price of the contract make the final determination of those choices.

Also something to think about -- an 85 point contract is going to be very rare.

There's usually several 50 point contracts (these go fast and for more money per point -- plus the closing costs make these even more pricier per point). After that, there are likely only a couple contracts between 50 and 100 points. From there, you'll see a good amount of 100, 110, 120, 130, and then 150, 160, 175, 180 and 200.

That is exactly what we did -- we purchased a 120 pt AKV contract w/ the intent on going every other year. You do have the option of doing a one time add on of 24 points if you were short a little bit (I believe that can only be done at 7 months and for a new reservation). Think about what your families travel habits are and what resort and what time of year you would like to travel. Look at points charts and figure out what you need. Keep in mind if your family and if you would need a larger room - say 1 BR if your kids dont' want to share a bed. You would need to book a a studio that sleeps 5 or a 1 BR would be needed if they don't want to share. You can always add on down the road and purchase a small direct of 25 points or look at a small resale. It is a very flexible system but you do need to make sure to read, read and read some more. If you have a time of year that you like to travel then you would want a UY that is around that time.

I think that most people tend to be short points. Getting rid of any extra is a good excuse for adding a couple of days to your vacation! :-)

:earsboy: Bill

Always short on points!

Seems that every time I look at my dashboard on the login screen my points available says: 0. :sad:

Thanks!

When we bought, we based our points on how much a Studio costs. Now that we've been going for a few years, we find that we prefer to stay in a 1BR. So, we are kicking ourselves for not buying more points from the beginning. We are now looking at doing an add-on, which will be more than what we initially paid.

I would get from 100 to 120 points. As others have said, it's better to have a few extra points. Worst thing is when you are 10 points or so shy for your trip, and then you need to wait for the 7 month window to open to buy the one time use points...especially if you are buying VGF, as the room will probably not be available anymore.

I also would buy more. We estimate that for us, 120-130 pts/yr would do for our choices. However, we are looking at getting between 150 and 200 pts as a cushion. We are waiting on a ROFR for the points we want to be at, it will put us on the very high side of where we want to be but the contract was in the same use year as our current points and the price was right, so those were our deciding factors

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter