Need advice trip with 1 yr old oct 2011

JoanneDisFan

DIS Veteran
I'm planning our 3rd trip to the world and our sons first trip. Need some advice from all your Moms who have taken little ones to Disney.

DS will probably be walking or very close to it. As of right now we don't have a stroller, I use a carrier frame, but am planning on getting a stroller in the next few months. Do you recommend renting a stroller or getting a nice lightweight stroller and bringing our own? If bring our own what stroller do you recommend? I'm a baby wearer and typically wear my kids or use an umbrella stroller.

Where do you recommend staying? We typically star AS Movies but are considering going to a Moderate (Coronado Springs), but would love to stay at Beach or Yacht Club. We are also hoping they extend free dining into the beginning of October and we would use that discount.

Any other good advice or suggestions for taking a little one to Disney?

I would not worry so much about the weight of the stroller. We used to have a lightweight Combi stroller and took it to WDW when DD was 11 months old. We wished we had taken our "big" stroller (Graco MetroLite) and did take it on our next trip. It was much more comfortable for DD, had more storage room, and better cupholders. People could have suggestions of better lightweight strollers for you, though. We always take our own stroller because we like to have it for the airport.

If you are flying, I would recommend mailing a box down of diapers, wipes, baby food (if you're using it then), disposable bibs, etc.

I'd really recommend splurging on a good, lightweight stroller that still reclines fully, has a wide canopy, and a decent amount of storage space. We have a Peg Perego Pliko and it is fabulous for traveling - it folds down to about the size of an umbrella stroller, is lightweight, and has a carrying handle on the side, but it is still comfortable enough for DD to sleep in and has a canopy wide enough to protect her from the FL sun.

Even with the stroller, take the baby carrier you're using at that point. It'll come in handy in lines, on buses, in line at CS where strollers have to be left outside, etc.

We arranged a grocery delivery for supplies so that we weren't taking up luggage space with diapers, wipes, and such. WeGoShop.com has a reasonable fee and will shop regular stores (Publix, Walmart, etc - you can choose if you have a preference) so the item prices aren't inflated like they are through Garden Grocer.

If you stay at a moderate or deluxe, there's room for a pack & play between the privacy curtain and the sink, so the baby can have it dark and a little quieter at bedtime without having to turn off the lights in the whole room.

Loud is scary at that age, more than any theme or villain. We carry earplugs when we're at Disney (and if we go to theatres or other potentially loud attractions in the real world). DD fought them a little at first but once she realized what they do she lets us put them in without a fuss.

My youngest was 15mo on her first Disney trip, and of all the trips we've taken with the kids at various ages that was my favorite. Everything was just amazing to her. She loved her Mickey balloon that we tied to the lap bar on her stroller to make it stand out in the stroller parking areas, and she fell asleep talking to it more than once. The castle show just had her fascinated, and she loved the parades. It was just so much fun to see it all through her eyes! It is well worth the extra planning/work it takes to travel with a little one.

and I am still recovering!

They want to go go go go go, (he was not walking unassisted yet) and because of the overstimulation, getting him to nap on schedule was a nightmare. Then he would get overtired and cranky. He would not eat much of the food there and ended up reverting back to a 75% formula diet.

We had table service every night and he was so sick of being in the stroller and not being able to run around like he does at home, he was not interested in eating, just crawling all over the restaurant.

Other than that, he was a delight. We had a lot of great moments, but the eating and sleeping were a challenge.

The best table service for us and him were the character breakfasts.

Good luck! :goodvibes

I'd recommend using the stroller you purchase after the frame one you have now. You know you will be going to WDW, so pick a stroller that you would use everyday and one that will work for WDW.

I purchased a Perego Pliko P3 a few years ago for my niece to use at WDW. She was almost 5. We used it again the next year when she was almost 6. I used it again last year with her younger sister who was 4.5yrs. The stroller works well for older children and younger children/babies. It reclines to almost flat, has a huge sun canopy and has a child's tray, folds like an umbrella stroller, has extendable handles, etc.

Another popular choice is the City Mini. I didn't know about them when picking out strollers a few years ago.

There are so many different strollers out there. Knowing how large or small your child will be can help with the decission. When my niece tried out the Maclaren strollers at 4.5 yrs, she looked squished compared to the P3.

I would recommed bringing your own stroller - then if you do things outside of the parks youstil have the stroller available. Also, as far as resort you can never go wrong staying inside any of the Disney Resorts - I am spoiled as a DVC owner and LOVE staying at the Home away from Home resorts - I love the atomsphere at Old Key West - very laid back and rooms are the biggest and cozy quiet not a regular hotel setting, awesome pools - and if you rent from someone here on the rent boards you would spend about the same as going to the Value resorts. Plus it makes it nice with family to spread out and relax and be able to do meals in the room sometimes!!

I would defiently bring a light weight stroller with you. That way if youre flying you can use it in the airport. Also, at the end of the day and if you're waiting for a Disney bus DS can sit. I would get one that reclines and has a sunshade. This will help if DS needs to nap or just have quiet time in the park.

You have a VERY young baby now. By the time he 11 months wearing him for the whole park day is likely not really an option. We have mid range strollers that have served us well, but we use the limo double when touring as both kids still ride and there is room for the stuff, and there is a lot of stuff.

I also agree that planning of eating a bunch of TS meals is not a great idea. We have found that staying off site works better for our family because we can stop on the way home from a park and get take out at just about any restruant we want to and then eat in the room while DS's play or unwind. At the end of the long exciting day there is simply no way they are going to sit still in a TS type of place. The thought that we would have to eat in a food court or a TS place isn't the best option for us.

We have also found that having a car is a fantastic idea. We have been off propety and on days were we return for a mid-day rest we have gone back to our car and had the kids in bed within 25 minutes. I don't think that would be possible if we stayed on property and used disney transit.

We have also found that having snacks and drinks available to them most of the day helps to keep them full and happy, having a stroller with a try for the kids is really useful for serving the snack.

We took DD just after she turned 1. We have lots of great memories of that trip. She had a wonderful time.
We took our light weight stroller but I wish I had taken our big stroller mainly for the tray and extra storage for my bag & camera.
If possible I would recommend staying on the monorail. I can't stress enough how fabulous it was to put DD in the stroller in our room, wheel her onto the monorail and straight to MK.
My main advice would be to just stay flexible and plan to have some downtime for naps!
Have FUN!

my DD was 21 months her first trip, brought our reg big stroller, she napped in it and had plently of room for extras, we stayed at Coro Sprgs, if you stay there its pretty spaced out, we were on the far side of the resort so it was quiet a hike to the restaurants for us, but its a nice resort!

We went in February with our 2 year old.

I would definitely bring your own stroller, I'm not a fan of Disney's. We brought our big Chico stroller and I loved it for the space below to store our bags, the handel for our backpack, the cup holders....

Our son was able to sleep in the stroller and then we would head to Epcot to walk around. If your baby doesn't sleep in the stroller, I would definitely head back to resort for down time!

We stayed in All Star Movies and it was nice for the lack of time we stayed in there. We requested a pack n play (my son threw up twice the first night we were there and they brought us a new pack n play each time in the middle of the night!) and there was a nice space for the pack n play. The rooms got pretty dark so he was able to fall asleep.

I bought some $1 store toys and light up toys for him to play with while in line and at night and he loved it!

We took my DD when she was 25 months old for her first trip and it was so successful that we didn't fear taking my DS at 13 months!
We flew our first trip so we had to ship down diapers, wipers, and water. We took our FULL size Graco stroller and she slept so well in it that we didn't have to go back to our hotel room for naps, we just walked around in stores and other quiet activities while she slept. My best piece of advice I can give you is to know where the Baby Care stations are for each park! Especially in AK since it's so hot and it's a nice break from the crowds and/or the rain.
Both trips I cut up sponges, soaked them in dish soap, and let them dry so I would be able to wash out the kids sippy cups in the hotel room. I tend to over plan since our kids are so young and not very good at waiting in line.
Also, we stayed in Value (ASMo and POP) with a pack 'n' play next to the televisions. Both of my kids were so tired at the end of the day it was never a problem getting them to sleep even with the lights on!
I loved taking my kids so young (despite everyone telling me that they won't remember it!) because the look on their face is something I will never forget! We are going with my sister in May for their first trip with her kids and I can't wait to "introduce" them to Disney!

I usually don't bother to even buy a big stroller. Would renting from one of the rental places be a better choice then? I usually only buy a cheep umbrella stroller and that works us. I don't mind spending more for a good lightweight stroller, but hate to spend over $100 and only use it at Disney.

I needed this thread! My DH and I have been going to Disney for years and now we have a LO. Our first trip will be in October 2011 as well. I have read all the great advice on the Dis and was wondering if anyone has had experience with a 16 month old at the MNSSHP? We want to go, but wonder if it will be too much for DS.

If your doing the party make sure you take a nap earlier in the day. Do something in the morning, but take it easy in the afternoon and rest up for the big night. Be prepared to leave earlier than you planned from the party when little one gets really tired and cranky. preferably before the cranky hits.

We are also planning on doing MNSSHP with our 13 month old, he will also sleep in the stroller so that helps as well.

We've taken our older kids when they were both 2 years and 3 years old. Both times we took two Combi Urban single strollers. The Urban only weighs 10 lbs and trifolds very compactly. We had no problem folding/unfolding them quickly to get on/off buses, boats, etc. and they have 1 cup holder deep enough for a 20-oz water bottle next to the child's seat.

Our first trip we stayed at Pop and used mainly buses. Our last trip we stayed offsite for free with Marriott points and took taxis to TTC to reach MK or Epcot--the monorail was so convenient because they can ride in their strollers. Our next trip, we'll have two school-aged kids and two in strollers, so I definitely want to be on the monrail for our hotel.

I also suggest not overplanning and take mid-day trips back to the hotel for nap/rest. Both the kids and the adults enjoyed a 2-3 hour break, and evening was not a problem for our kids who are usually in bed by 7:30pm.

We travel a lot with DD who is currently 18 months. We have a Maclaren Triumph. It does not recline all the way but DD likes to sleep on an incline so it is perfect for us. Also as Ive said before DD is a peanut in weight. There are good,cheaper umbrella strollers out there but we really like the Macleren because of how easy it is to push and collapse.

Are you going in the summer? I WOULD NOT wear a child in the summer. WAY TOO HOT! Also at that age HEAVY! I would suggest stroller all the way, and agree: bring your own. The Disney one's have no padding and they are just hard plastic.
As for resort I love Coronado! It's where I've been staying since Dixie Landings left. This year though I am staying at PO French Quarter. Give it a looksie. It's about 5 minutes to each point. You can take the boat to Downtown Disney, great food at the food court from what I have heard.

I ended up getting a Baby Jogger City mini for everyday use as well as for Disney. So much better than the cheap umbrellas, but it was a bit pricey at almost $200. DS is much more comfortable in it so it's been worth every penny I spent. Getting the right stroller will defiantly help make the trip easier.

We too have a City Mini which folds nicely. DS has no problem sleeping in the stroller so I hope he just sleeps until the parade and fireworks starts. Then he just gets up for that and falls back to sleep after it is over. I have already planned for spending all afternoons by the resort so he can get some rest or run around freely.

Does anyone have experience with a pack and play? I am hoping he will be so exhausted that he will sleep in this at night. When I try to get him to nap in it at home, he just cries for 15 minutes and then sleeps for 15 minutes. Certainly not a long enough nap.

We just went on vacation to TN for a few days and ds (17months) slept in his pnp. It took a little longer to get him to sleep, but once he was out he didn't wake up for anything. He even took good long naps in it during the day. Usually when he stays with my mom during the day he will nap in the pnp, but not as long as he does in his crib. So I am thinking he did so good because he was so wiped out from the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter