Need advise--adoptions and vacations

AlexandAndysMom

Mouseketeer
I have a question for anyone who could help, and I hope this is the right board. We are going to WDW the week of Thanksgiving with me, dh, ds7, ds2, grandma and grandpa. Question is, DH is adopting DS7 and his name might be different than when we made the reservations. I'm willing to go through pretty much anything I need to to get his tickets to say his new last name as it will probably be the first official SMITH after his name other than the legal docs. :banana:

I know WDW deals with married name changes all the time, but I'm not sure about child name changes. This is the happiest time for all of us, and I want my DS to not see any of the 'behind the scenes' problems and issues that we might have. Anyone have any ideas and advise for me?

And on a side note...I have the best husband in the world!

Disney will list his name as whatever you give them - my eldest child (still a minor) has a different legal last name than the rest of us but uses "ours" for everyday purposes. That's the name on her resort reservation and as it's not her birthday in the parks, I don't see it making a huge difference as it has never been an issue in the past.

If you're FLYING however, it could be an issue. You must book your tickets in the LEGAL name of the traveller - therefore my eldest is booked for our flight under her legal last name for identification purposes. If his legal last name will change before your flight, call your carrier and have your travel documents reissued. I had to do this for our August trip to the Carribbean, as DD #1's last name was incorrect on our travel docs (thus it was wrong on the passenger manifest and would be wrong on our boarding passes). If the name on the boarding pass does not match your ID, you will be denied boarding (or at the very least you will have a bigger hassle getting through security - this information came from an inquiry made directly to TSA).

There are new TSA regulations now regarding exact match of ID's and traveller manifests, as well as gender and birthdate requirements. The airlines are phasing these last changes in slowly but they are STRONGLY encouraging people to book passage using the name on their state issued ID's.

As the last trip I took under these new rules was out of the country, I have no idea how they will confirm the identity of minors who do not have state-issued photo ID for domestic travel. My SIL is bringing my niece's BC just in case she needs it for the airport (and she will need it anyway for Disney for the free birthday admission). I am toying with bringing the girls passports (just in case) but I'm probably going to send anothe quick e-mail to the TSA website just to ease my mind. They got back to me within 12 hours or so.

Call your carrier if you're flying and check - you still have time to get new travel docs issued if you need them. If you used a TA, they are the ones who must make the change as the reservations agent will tell you they are not able to. What the reservations agents can do is make notes all over your reservation about the name change and reason for any airline employee to see who looks. It wouldn't help with any TSA issues but you would just have to leave lots of time to make it through security before your flight. This may bring the "behind the scenes" issues to light in front of your son (which I understand you want to avoid). Your other option would be to use his "old" birth certificate if that shows his name as listed on the passenger manifest - it will make travel easier and you can think of it as a "last hurrah" for the old name.

And yes...you do have the best husband in the world. Men who will do that are few and far between.

Thank you so much! I'm not sure what his name will be when we fly out. Who knows when we will get our final court date! :laughing:

I will hit up the TSA website, but we will have his old BC and hopefully his new one! I also just emailed our TA to make sure we could get SMITH on his room key. That way we will have one with his original last name from last years trip and his new one for this years.

This is a big vacation for us...lots to celebrate...my husband's graduation for his BS, my DS's late 2nd birthday, my Mom's first trip in 20 years, my Step-dad's first trip in 40! years, and the biggest to us, this adoption!

And the best part is my DH accepted my (our) DS as his own from almost day 1! :love:

Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter