Need advise! Is POLY worth it?

Hard to say when you did not post how many nights. It really tends to be what's important to people.
For us, we also feel the resort really adds to our vacation, but with that said we have not found the Deluxes to be that much greater than the Mods and unless we can find a GREAT deal on a deluxe (yes we use the TA that has exclusive deals, but for our times, their deals are not as great as before) we are just as happy staying at the Mods. We found the POLY pool to me just okay at best and they only have 1 (correction they have 2, I forgot about Oasis quiet pool). For us, I would not spend $1000 AND lose a day just to stay at a resort, I would look into a split stay first.

Last edited:
Hard to say when you did not post how many nights. It really tends to be what's important to people.
For us, we also feel the resort really adds to our vacation, but with that said we have not found the Deluxes to be that much greater than the Mods and unless we can find a GREAT deal on a deluxe (yes we use the TA that has exclusive deals, but for our times, their deals are not as great as before) we are just as happy staying at the Mods. We found the POLY pool to me just okay at best and they only have 1. For us, I would not spend $1000 AND lose a day just to stay at a resort, I would look into a split stay first.

Poly has 2 pools, Lava and Oasis.

I may have missed it but how many days are you staying for the extra $1000? If it's over a week, I'd possibly consider it. To me, and if money allows, the extra $100/night is worth the convenience and comfort over a moderate. If it's less, than I'd say forget about it. The Poly is one of our favorite resorts and we usually go in August due to those TA specials that are run around the labor day period that others have mentioned. If your times in August are flexible, maybe do some research on that.

I may have missed it but how many days are you staying for the extra $1000? If it's over a week, I'd possibly consider it. To me, and if money allows, the extra $100/night is worth the convenience and comfort over a moderate. If it's less, than I'd say forget about it. The Poly is one of our favorite resorts and we usually go in August due to those TA specials that are run around the labor day period that others have mentioned. If your times in August are flexible, maybe do some research on that.

When do those deals usually start in August? Do you know?

I’ve always wanted to go there but is it worth losing a full day of vacation and $1000 more? Thanks for any opinions!
I did not read through the long thread but hopefully someone mentioned doing a split stay. Cutting back on your WDW trip is usually not advised because there is so much to do that losing a day can have a big impact. I would start your trip at CBR and then go to the Poly for your last couple of days. This way you get the best of both worlds, save a little money not staying there the whole time, hopefully still staying as long as you would like and getting to check out poly. We love it! We own DVC so we occasionally get to book there and plan on it for our next trip. There is something magical about staying there and being able to look out and see the castle or just watching the fireworks from the beach is amazing.

I am not suggesting that folks are afraid to rent, however the rental is conditional. In most cases you must pay the entire amount upfront and your dates must be set in stone. No refunds or changes to the reservation once you make it. Depending on the resort, renting is a decision that needs to be made early on, so if folks suggest renting points for an October trip in July, that may be an effort in frustration. The Poly is wicked popular, so that decision to rent likely needs to be made before that magic 7 months out timeframe.
REnting is a wonderful option for saving money, and I am in total support of it, even for a first time visitor, however when people toss out "rent points" I wish they would also add how to do so, and what renting entails.

That is all clearly laid out on both David's and other rental websites. It would be pointless to relist it here, and somebody would have to be a fool to go through with the rental process without both reading and thinking about the terms of the agreement.

Last edited:
$100 is our gauge as well. We just looked in November and even with the TA exclusive deal the 3 deluxes were over $200 more a night, for us, not worth it.

I wouldn’t switch resort if that meant loosing a full day of vacation.

Our family of 4 has CBR booked for this August. We have been a few times before and have always enjoyed it! I was playing around on the Disney website and see we can do the Polynesian at the same time for $1000 more if we take away a full day. I’ve always wanted to go there but is it worth losing a full day of vacation and $1000 more? Thanks for any opinions!

We have not yet stayed at Poly but will be in March. In my opinion, Deluxes are not worth the price for our touring style, and we are only staying here because we are going with a larger family group, and that's where they really want to stay. (they have never been to Disney to judge differences in the resorts.) For us, we are more than happy to pay money for something if we feel it is worth it, and we have stayed at a few deluxes now to know that we do not feel deluxe hotels are remotely worth the cost. We personally prefer moderates.

Having said that people feel it's worth it if they have young children and need the convenience of the monorail, or spend a large amount of their vacation at the hotel instead of touring the parks. I personally would not give up a vacation day for a hotel room, when the moderates are beautiful themselves. And Disney deluxe hotel accomodations are more like $200 per night rooms anywhere else in the world, that are 3x the cost here.

Where would the $1,000 come from? Would it come from another part of the budget such as dining, souvenirs and/or extra events? Extra savings? You picked CBR because you liked the resort and saved for this budget limit. If you want to try the Poly save for that experience. The Poly is really nice, I love it but I saved and planned for that vacation. May be too late now but next trip rent points and you could totally swing Poly on a similar budget to CBR.

Nope. But you can always visit and enjoy the grounds and a lovely snack or two....I like to do that, but it's just not worth the cost to stay there IMHO. There are too many other lovely resorts to choose from.

I vote for a split stay. We frequently do them in order to enjoy our favorite deluxe resorts (or trying new ones) while keeping the cost down. Especially for long trips, maybe 10 nights or more. We like changing it up and it feels like two vacations in one.

For me, yes I would! It depends on a few things. How long is your trip? 4 days vs 3? Or 9 days vs 8? In our case, yes, it would be worth it to me. We stay for 9 days and schedule a nice amount of resort time. MK is my favorite park, we go at least 4-5 days or at least part of 5 days. Also I have a child in a stroller so not having to take a bus is well worth it to me. I hate the busses, when dealing with a child in a stroller mostly. I love being near the MK!!! Seeing the fireworks from my hotel and feeling like a part of the MK!! So for me, the answer is yes, I would spend more (if I have the $) and stay one day less. To me, I feel quality over quantity. We LOVE the ambiance of the Poly and the food, etc. But only you can decide on the factors.

Did you make a decision? Curious!
100% agree. Quality over quantity every time.

When do those deals usually start in August? Do you know?

For the past few years we've been going around the Aug 21-Aug 31 time frame. I believe the offers are usually good for the week before and after we go. It's a nice window, if you're able to travel then and you don't mind summers in Florida. Although it's hot, it does not feel any worse than a hot summer day in NY.

For the past few years we've been going around the Aug 21-Aug 31 time frame. I believe the offers are usually good for the week before and after we go. It's a nice window, if you're able to travel then and you don't mind summers in Florida. Although it's hot, it does not feel any worse than a hot summer day in NY.

If I google previous deals for summer, it comes up with 8/2 - 10/31 or so. Did you not find that has been your experience?

We have gone then, and with afternoon pool breaks, it’s totally doable. We have the same hot temperatures in CT. The only reason we stopped going in August is that I need time during the last two weeks to get my classroom ready for the new school year. I would rather not return from vacation only to go straight to school when we get home. I like a buffer of a couple of weeks.

100% agree. Quality over quantity every time.
To me, this only really apply's if the resorts were the same price and the only difference was the number of days staying. I would also pick POLY if the only difference was that the trip would be one day shorter. The GF is our favorite resort, but as you can see in our signature, we have only stayed there twice out of 35+ trips. Just because we can afford to stay there does not mean we are going to just pay any amount to do it. I think if you go to WDW regularly, "quality over quantity" can add up to a LOT of days not going or cost you a LOT more $$. We have been able to have two 9 night stays at a Mod for the same price we would have paid for one trip at a deluxe, so, no I do not pick "quality over quantity". Plus; not everyone thinks the "quality" of the deluxes is that big of a difference over Mods. Balconies, indoor hallways and TS, are not big factors for our family. There is much more that goes into "worth" and each family has to decide that for themselves.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter