Need budget hotel for 6 people within walking distance

roses25

Earning My Ears
Does anyone have any suggestions on a safe and clean budget friendly hotel within walking distance to Disneyland for 6 people (1 room)?

I’d like to stay at the Candy Cane Inn but their website states 5 in the room is maximum due to fire codes and they will evict you if you have more. It would be 2 adults (1 needs a recliner rented for them to sleep in) and 4 small children (one being 6 months old). Does the candy cane inn strictly enforce this policy and pay attention to how many are in the room?

I’d also consider an Airbnb if it was close to Disneyland and had a pool.

What’s your price range? We’ve done 6 at the Soringhikl Convention center-not a bad walk and nice rooms, include bunk beds for kids. Super budget? Desert Inn and Suites.

We are a family of 6 (DH, me, DS17, DS13, DS5, DS3) and we have stayed several times at the Del Sol in one of their bunk bed rooms. They are typically the cheapest close motel that we are able to find for our family size. The room is fairly small, so I'm not sure if a recliner would fit. My big kiddos (who are both man sized) have no issues sleeping on the bunk beds. We don't spend much time in our room or we would probably think the quarters were a bit tight, but that probably has a lot to do with four of us being adult sized.

This time around, we booked a parlor suite at Desert Inn and Suites. I believe the room will be quite a bit bigger than the Del Sol, but I'm not sure. It was cheaper for our dates, though ($1249 for 6 nights next July, including resort fee, parking, and taxes), so we are excited to give it a try!

Unfortunately, most options for families over 5 people are either spendy or further away than I want to stay.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a safe and clean budget friendly hotel within walking distance to Disneyland for 6 people (1 room)?

I’d like to stay at the Candy Cane Inn but their website states 5 in the room is maximum due to fire codes and they will evict you if you have more. It would be 2 adults (1 needs a recliner rented for them to sleep in) and 4 small children (one being 6 months old). Does the candy cane inn strictly enforce this policy and pay attention to how many are in the room?

I’d also consider an Airbnb if it was close to Disneyland and had a pool.
If you are interested in Candy Cane Inn, give them a call and ask.
They might even know if renting a recliner is possible.

Deckert's Surgical and home care might have recliners to rent. Their company is well know to the scooter uses for Disneyland. (714) 542-5607

G

Can you do 2 connecting rooms at the CCI? We do 2 connecting Premium Rooms to create our own suite, which gives us enough room for 4-8 people, 2 bathrooms, 2 sink areas, 2 microwaves, 2 small fridges, etc. The Premium Rooms are larger than the regular rooms and have breakfast delivered to the room each day. The extra space and 2 bathrooms really work out well. CCI offers various discounts, so check if you qualify for something.
Also look at hotels walking distance to the TS lot. You can walk to that lot and take the free shuttles to/from the parks. That would open up your choice of hotels. And there are hotels that are walking distance to the M&F tram, too. Again, that opens up your choices. Not every hotel has to be walking distance to the Harbor entrance!
See these threads, too, for helpful information:
"Apartment-like" Lodging near Disneyland -- this thread explains why STRs usually aren't recommended for DLR
www.disboards.com/threads/choosing-the-right-hotel-for-you.3656512/
Cheap stay..Kings Inn, Clarion, Motel 6 or other?? -- this poster isn't asking for hotels for a large group, but it can't hurt to check if the hotels recommended have rooms that will work for you

Last edited:
We've stayed at courtyard Marriott theme park entrance. They have 2 queens ands a set of bunk beds and the washroom has 2 showers. We are booked this winter at best western park place inn in a 2 queen plus sofa bed.

We have stayed at desert inn and suites twice, the double room, 4 beds and 2 baths. I think it’s $269 a night. I’ve compared all the hotels on harbor and for that size room it’s the best price. For us the 2nd bathroom is a lifesaver at the end of a long day when everyone wants to shower and get in bed. We have already booked for June.

The sleeping in a recliner requirement is what makes it tricky. Not all hotels might allow you to temporarily move in furniture into the room, so as you do some research on what your options are (i.e., equipment/furniture rental from a medical supply place like Deckerts), it would be worthwhile checking with the hotel to see if the hotel would even allow it.

Also, if a hotel DOES allow you to move in a recliner into the room, you'd probably want to request a 1st floor room.

One should probably assume that any hotel will strictly enforce its max room occupancy limits, so checking into a room meant for 5 when there are 6 of you would be a good way to end up with nowhere to stay for the night. And that would be pretty awful.

OP: Would a time share work for you? Maybe Dolphins Cove? I know there are other time share properties around DLR that rent to non-owners.

I would call and check. Some hotels do not count the infant. We have seven people in the family mom, dad and 5 kids. Several times the hotels with a max of six in a room did not count the infant in the total. I know Disney world does not count the child in the total til they are 3. It can’t hurt to call and ask.

I would call and check. Some hotels do not count the infant. We have seven people in the family mom, dad and 5 kids. Several times the hotels with a max of six in a room did not count the infant in the total. I know Disney world does not count the child in the total til they are 3. It can’t hurt to call and ask.
CA occupancy codes apparently are different than those in FL. I found this on the DLR website (and would assume the same to be true for the off site hotels):

https://disneyparksmomspanel.disney...icting-information-online-figured-ask-368907/On May 2, 2018
Dima from CA Asked
Hello, I am finding conflicting information online so figured I would ask the experts! We are a family of 6, with the youngest being an infant. Does the infant count in room occupancy count? We are hoping to only have to book one room. Thank you!”
Hi there, Dima! Thanks for reaching out to the Disney Parks Moms Panel for assistance with your upcoming visit to the Disneyland Resort!
I just chatted with a Cast Member who confirmed that an infant needs to be included in your total occupancy count for rooms at the Disneyland Resort Hotels. You will find that when you book a room or a vacation package online, you will provide the total number of adults and the total number of children in your group. You will then be prompted to provide the ages of each child, including the infant. After those parameters are entered, you will see that a group of 6 (even with one infant) does exceed the occupancy count for standard rooms. However, there are one-bedroom suites available that will accommodate your entire family. These are typically less expensive than booking two separate rooms and provide ample space for everyone’s luggage and to sleep everyone comfortably.

Last edited:
Essentially Disney has no control over the max occupancy. It's under the control of the Fire Marshall.

Essentially Disney has no control over the max occupancy. It's under the control of the Fire Marshall.
I would assume that this is the same idea as declaring the infant on a TS reservation at DLR. The Fire Marshall needs to know exactly how many people are in the restaurant in case of evacuation (regardless of age and whether they order off the menu) and in the case of a hotel evacuation, same issue: did the exact number of people registered evacuate the building?

Del sol is right across from the park and has room setups that can accommodate you. We stayed there one year (about 10 years ago) when I had my niece and nephew with us (on top of my own kid). It was super cheap then (like maybe $100/night total for the two joined rooms. I'm pretty sure they'be jacked it up a lot since then - but still will be reasonable compared to many other places.

I would also check The Anaheim Hotel. Their standard rooms (2 queens) are huge, I bet you would not have to move any furniture (except maybe a chair) to accommodate the recliner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter