• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need family opinions for those who have done both WDW and Universal

FINFAN

Mom to Tinkbell
Hi all....I know, I know, NOTHING has the magic of WDW and I agree, but we can't afford 5 days @ WDW this year but have a great opportunity to enjoy 7 nights on-site @ IOA/US for much less than I was able to arrange on-site at the world. We had the best trip ever to WDW last summer and I am worried that Universal may not be as family oriented, to put it gently. Our Kids are DD 12, and DS will be almost 8. Even adding 1 day @ WDW adds $200 to the budget:( I was thinking of doing DD and the Boardwalk to add a little magic if we are feeling a let down at US. I would appreciate any experiences anyone else has had. We stayed at asmu/contemporary last year and have ressies at the new royal pacific at US, if that will help anyone with opinions.
TIA,
Pam

A less expensive option maybe to visit one of WDWs water parks. BB and TL are both less expensive then the parks, however have the same great WDW magic that we all have come to expect. Just a thought.

I can't speak for the accomodations, but I can say we thoroughly enjoyed US and IOA. I thought IOA themeing clearly rivaled WDW. I guess all I'd be concerned about is with FOTL access because of being on site that you'd see everything there is to see in 3-4 days! -Do you have other things planned outside of Universal? I think the water park suggestion is great. WDW water parks are the best!

My 13 & 15 yr olds like Universal's IOA better than Disney parks due to the rides there. They have said that they felt more comfortable at Disney though. My 9 yr old likes Disney's parks better...she enjoyed Universal Studios but isn't too crazy about IOA...she hates coasters!!! Hope this helps.....I can tell you that Universal is cheaper in the long run....their food & merchandise is less expensive than Disney's.... And this is comming from a die hard Disney fan LOL

We were thinking of actually enjoying the hotel for once...;) seems we never get to as much as we'd like. The waterpark idea is good, I am going to check it out. Thank you both for your help.:)

FinFan
We stayed at the HRH for 3 nights last year and we had a ball!
we did the parks and laid around the pool. It was really a relaxing vacation. The water parks at Disney are a great idea for feeling the "magic" and I am sure there are discounts available to you. I don't think you will be disappointed at all. Just jump right in and make your own magic!
Peg:D

We did 7 nights May 2001 at the HRH skipping WDW all together as we were in WDW April 2000. My kids were 6 and 9 and they had a blast. There were just a couple of roller coasters my 6 yr old daughter wasn't big enough to get on but son went on EVERYTHING.

We were in the parks when they opened and left around 12-1 to go hang out at the pool, back to the parks around 6 everynight. We did EVERYTHING there was to do at US and IOA in 4 days. We ended up going to Sea World 1 day because the kids got bored at the pool and they were satisfied with having gone through both parks. The "front of the line access" was incredible and I think that's why we got through the parks so fast.

I think if you stayed onsite at US/IOA for the 4 nights and did 3 at an AS at WDW taking in the resort pool, water park maybe, DD and the Boardwalk, you could still get that WDW fix.

We took our 6 & 9 year old nephews, plus our 1 yo son to IOA & USF last June. We stayed at Portofino Bay. All of us had a great time. They will do the "child swap" if someone doesn't want to or can't ride something. If you are staying at HRH, PB, or the new Royal Pacific, you will get front of the line access that makes your wait practically nothing, even if it's busy.

We were able to just hop on the boat shuttle to go back to the hotel and relax & use the pool or nap. There is a wide variety of restaurants, because City Walk is right there as well.

Plenty for all to do! Just be aware that some of the rides are very realistic and based on scary things like sharks & King Kong, and T-Rex. My little one even rode Jaws! He was not scared nor impressed by the Great White, (the 6 yo, however, is probably scarred for life! It was very lifelike, but I don't think the baby really knew he should be afraid! LOL Even the ride operators felt bad for my nephew - They gave him a front of the line access ticket for whatever he wanted, if he would stop crying!)

You'll find plenty to do!

Have a Blast!

iluvtig

depends if you are thrill riders or not
my 5 yr old dd at the time did not have much to do or ride
other than seuss landing she did not enjoy it
I am in no hurry to go back again
But if you are a coaster rider it would be for you

Good luck. We just missed the disney theming too much

I agree with luv2nascar. We went 2 years ago with our 3 kids aged 2,4,6 and they didn't really have much to do. Some rides, a few play areas and a couple of shows, otherwise too intense for them. They also didn't have a clue about any of the characters. I felt like they were dragged around all day for not much fun. But my kids are alittle on the wimpy side, sooo. I as an adult would love to check it out.

Maybe do a character meal at one of the resorts. That way you could say hello to some of the Disney folks while you are there.

We love Universal. Staying on site is the best! Disney for us just isn't that magical, too crowded, long waits. Your kids will have a blast!

I have yet to stay on-site at Universal, but speaking just for the parks, i love them! IOA didn't have a whole lot to amuse my kids, but you're are not as young (& short LOL) as mine (5 & 2), so you won't have to deal with the same restrictions in that area.

A few suggestions:
US: Everyone will LOVE ET. There's a Woody Woodpecker coaster there for the kids. It's a bit more than Goofy's Barnstormer, according to DD (5). She went on this one about 10 times. It would be great for your 8 year old especially. The Curious George play area could take up a whole day in itself, with my bunch, but beware...you can get soaked here with no notice & when I say soaked, I mean it. Don't be dumb like me & leave your cell phone at the top of an open drawstring bag as you walk through. I actually had to pour water out of the bag when we left. Some people hate this...I personallly LOVE the water play! There's an indoor section here too (with footprint patterns to show you the water-free places to walk to get to it) where there are little soft nerf-like balls that you can shoot, vacuum, & toss around a big 2 story open building. There's also a ball drop every now & again. FUN!!!!!!! Jaws is pretty good & probably ok for your kids' ages, but the fire scenes get HOT. Back to the Future is awesome (height restricted...not sure of the minimum, but DD is close, so you should be fine there). I hear they're having cool Scooby activities here with the movie coming out, too!

IOA: Spider Man, Spider Man, Spider Man!! Dudley Do-Right is a log flume that (in my opinion) is better than Splash Mountain *ducks objects being thrown*. The name of the ride is escaping me...Bluto's Barges (?)...the rapid raft ride...KILLER!! Again, prepare to get wet. We all loved the Jurassic Park area. Men In Black was great too. I swear, I think that really WAS a live dinosaur! LOL And the coasters at IOA are second to none, especially The Hulk!

If you need any further info, just say the word. I love US/IOA & have been quite a few times, so these are just the basic highlights.

We were there this May for 3 days, and stayed at the Portofino, and it was great!!!(Did WDW for 4 days, plus 2 beach days as well)
Wish we had more time for City Walk and the great pool area at Portofino.
DS and I went for three days while DH and DD went for two and did something else while my 5 year old son and I went back for the third day. We did everything more than once, and even on the third day were able to go to both parks and do many things over and over again.
I'm not sure my kids would have wanted anymore days than that at the parks, with front of the line we saw it all, and then again.
Just something to condsider....my 5 year old was a lot bolder than I thought he would be, and of course we skipped the big coasters, but he still had a blast. 10 year old did everything.
If you are renting a car, maybe a trip to the beach, or something else would be a welcome break.

Hi!
We have visited IOA and UnSt once each. I felt like I was "cheating" on Disney! My DH (age 49) and DS (age 5) loved IO. My DS still talks about the Jurassic Park area all the time. They have really neat rides and water cannons, play area, etc.
I was "underwhelmed" to say the least. The park just didn't have the disney feel. Although they are nice parks, they are not Disney. Even the people at the parks seemed to be different. IO and UnSt don't seem to be as family oriented to me. I missed the Disney characters, I didn't even recognize most of the ones at IO!
Also, there wasn't enough to keep us there all day--we left each park by 3 pm. Lots of the rides were too intense for my 5yold.

A positive--the Spiderman ride was way cool, and you can meet Spidey in Person!

We went up in March this year. It was our first trip to US. We stayed at Portofina Bay Hotel for 3 nights, then Disney for one night since we had one day left on a pass (and I needed a Disney fix!) :D Actually, my 9 year old son now prefers US to Disney. Oh no! He had the best time and can't wait to return. Have fun!

Hi everyone...first let me thank you for all your opinions they have been very helpful....second, my folks called expressing how much they would love to see our kids at WDW and would we consider splitting our trip to include 3 nights at WL? DH only gets 7 vacation days (which is why we always use July 4 as one of our "extra" vacation days) so he is kinda put out as he really needs some family time of our own, and we have had a rough year and didn't want to go through changing hotels etc., and he IS really EXCITED about staying at the Royal Pacific on site @USO. The FOTL perk is a real perk(+ the hotel is $20 cheaper per nite) Anyway, looks like we are going to do WDW after all for a few days. Can you say REALLY, DEEPLY in debt for a vacation?:eek: We all know 3/4 days adds a lot and to be paying for 6 now is stressing me out, especially since we have under a month B4 we leave. No extra savings time. BUT, there is no question that we would ever deny either if our folks this opportunity. they are 80 and you never know.....:( again, keep the opinions coming as my parents plans are day to day...but we will know by 6/29 one way or another...beacuse you have to let RPH know 5 days out what you entire length of stay is...and you will be carged if you cut out a few days early, plus the 5 day cancellation policy for FW! Kinda tricky as we are not the residents and if my folks can't make it those rates w/o a code are brutal!( $119 would turn into $229!) I will be running over to ASMU and begging for a room and trying to transfer deposits...oooohhhh! I don't even want to think about it, especially since we would just stay at US if my folks weren't joining us:rolleyes: Anyway, that's the latest, wish us luck! I know it will be wonderful if it all works out!

I am a huge WDW fan but that said, I love IOA/US I bet your kids will too, HRH rules and I actually felt CBR was a bit of a down step. WE did it with a 3 year old and while the food situation at HRH wasn't as good for small kids everthing else was very family friendly.
IF they still have front of the line that makes universal all the better, your kids are the perfect age. You'll love it!

Bless the folks, but vacations are precious. Remember that...We talk about our May trip everyday, with longing.....

Why couldn't they be happy at Universal/IOA? Isn't just important to be together?

My kids loved everything about WDW, but they also really loved Universal/IOA. (5 and 10 years old) I had great joy watching them in Suess Landing, Woody Woodpecker Zone, and it was so much fun watching them play in all of the water areas that are available, and there are tons of them at Universal/IOA. (Not so much at WDW anymore)

Finally, we used fastpass very well at WDW, but it was nothing compared to the front of the line access we had. It made for such a relaxing, marvelous 3 days.

I can't say enough good things about these two parks, staying onsite, and eating at City-Walk--Yum! It was so convenient with the boat access.

I felt the "Magic" everywhere (except Gatorland) just because we were together.

Good Luck!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter