Need gift idea for coworker

pinkxray

DIS Veteran
Here's the deal-

I am scheduled to work xmas eve 4-12 (I work at a hospital) and we are allowed to give away our holidays to anyone in the dept who wants it. A coworker/ newish friend has taken the shift for me even though she is already working 8-4.

She is young, single, no kids and says she doesn't mind working it and would rather I stay home with DH and DD. (She most likely wouldn't have signed up if anyone else had posted the shift) I would like to get her a gift to show how much I appreciate her taking the shift but not sure what woud be good. She has only been working there a few months and we just recently started running together two months ago. I know her well enough to know that she loves Target and is on Weight Watchers and we're doing Couch to 5k together, but aside from that don't really know what else she likes.

I was thinking maybe a Target gift card but it seems silly to basically give her money when she is taking a holiday shift at time and a half plus evening/weekend differential.

I also though maybe an edible arrangement since she is trying to be healthy and will be at the hospital all day where I am guessing there will be tons of treats coworkers have brought in.

Any ideas? (or is it stupid to even give anything?)

I think it would be very thoughtful of her to fill in for your shift. How about a gift card for a mani and/or pedi? When I've gotten giftcards to Target in the past, while it's something I would definitely use, I usually end up getting something "practical" that I would have bought anyways.

A giftcard to the spa is a great idea!!! And it's always a nice treat to yourself to have a little spa day!

The target gift card is not a bad idea. I mean, even though she is taking the extra shift it's always nice to have a little extra to go shopping on! And being on Weight Watchers she may need new clothes in the future! I was (and kind of still follow) weight watchers and loved gift cards for clothes. Or if you have a mall near you a giftcard for there so she can use it at any store.

I love the idea of a Target gift card... practical is good! You can make it more personal by adding a card with personal notes...

Something like-
- To help you with all those "skinny clothes" you'll be needing soon
- To buy coffee to help you through the extra shift, thank you!

Or something along those lines. It's a good gift-- she can use it for new socks since y'all are doing all that running, or healthy choice/lean cuisine/WW frozen foods to help her through those long holiday shifts with all those goodies tempting her, or, as I mentioned above, coffee, or who knows what?

Just because she's making a little extra money on the shift doesn't mean she won't appreciate the thought. I repeat, practical is good! :)

Here's the deal-

I am scheduled to work xmas eve 4-12 (I work at a hospital) and we are allowed to give away our holidays to anyone in the dept who wants it. A coworker/ newish friend has taken the shift for me even though she is already working 8-4.

She is young, single, no kids and says she doesn't mind working it and would rather I stay home with DH and DD. (She most likely wouldn't have signed up if anyone else had posted the shift) I would like to get her a gift to show how much I appreciate her taking the shift but not sure what woud be good. She has only been working there a few months and we just recently started running together two months ago. I know her well enough to know that she loves Target and is on Weight Watchers and we're doing Couch to 5k together, but aside from that don't really know what else she likes.

I was thinking maybe a Target gift card but it seems silly to basically give her money when she is taking a holiday shift at time and a half plus evening/weekend differential.

I also though maybe an edible arrangement since she is trying to be healthy and will be at the hospital all day where I am guessing there will be tons of treats coworkers have brought in.

Any ideas? (or is it stupid to even give anything?)

How about buying her lunch sometime the week before or after the holiday?

I think it's very nice of you to want to do something for her. I'm with the PP who mentioned the spa certificate, or a mani/pedi--maybe even with a note telling her it's to help her relax after being so kind and working such long hours?

Sure she is getting holiday and weekend pay but I don't know anyone who would turn down more money. She is doing YOU a favor so don't think that a GC isn't appreciated because she is working on a holiday.

I would love a bagel and coffee/tea/soda during a break when you work together or at the shift change if you work different shifts.

Thanks for the great suggestions.:thumbsup2
Now instead of no ideas, I have to pick between a bunch of great ideas. Thanks everyone!

And, maybe on Christmas Day, you could take your family to see her and bring her dinner or a treat of some sort to make her feel welcomed and appreciated by your family, especially since it sounds like she has no family around.

I'd buy a movie voucher at Costco (or theater gift card) and tape it to a theater size box of candy like Jr. Mints. Wrap the candy and attach a gift card for a family style restraunt like Red Robin or Applebee's. Then she could have a nice evening out any time she wanted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter