need help buying bread machine

pas2

Mouseketeer
I want to buy a bread machine. I have never used one nor know anyone who has one. Could any bread machine owners out there tell me what features you like in your machines? I don't plan on using it all the time nor do I have much counter space for one. I am interested in using it to make pizza dough. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I use the dough setting most often. I don't particularly like the texture of the bread when it's baked in the bread machine (may be because my bread machine was cheap), so I usually get it out, roll it into a loaf, then let it rise again and bake it in the oven. I also make pizza crusts with that setting.

Definitely get one that you can pick the darkness of the crust. Mine has different settings for regular, wheat, and sweet bread, but I don't know how much of a difference it makes.

regular.....wheat.....and dough settings too.......I make bread every sunday in the machine and I love it....my favorite is french bread that I adapted to fit my likes......just don't get one that costs a few hundred.....their bread tastes the same as my machines bread......in fact....my sister in laws machine was like 199.00 and mine was a measly 60.00 and my bread was actually better.....I also get my flour from a bulk food store and get what I want and it is great.......

This may sound stupid but pay attention to the size and decide where you will store it before you buy it.

If you are going to store it on your counter, make sure it doesn't take up more room then you are willing to dedicate to it. If you plan on keeping it in a cabinet, make sure it will fit.

I'm speaking from experience.

Chessie

Thanks for your suggestions, I now know what to keep in mind when I go shopping.

Be sure to check out the shape of the bread pan. There are horizontal and vertical pans. The horizontal pans are more useful for making sandwiches.
Mine was inexpensive and I also use the dough cycle most often.
Also pay attention to the loaf capacity. Mine is a 1 pound loaf machine and I wish it was larger. But, when I am only using the dough cycle, I will make a 1 & 1/2 - 2 pound loaf without any problem. The dough fills up the pan but since the final rise is out of the breadmachine pan, it fits.
Several bread machine cookbooks list most of the major bread machine manufactors and rate the machines. It might pay to visit your bookstore and check it out.:D

I received mine as a gift. I mainly use the
bread and dough settings. It has so many
buttons on it I'll never figure it out. You can
even make jams in the thing. I agree with
chessie about storage of the unit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter