need help choosing a DVC to stay at :)

Wilsonfamily4

DIS Veteran
I am a ways away from our next vacation but I am a planner so I am on it now. We plan to go to WDW in Jan 2009. We are bringing my husbands parents too. We know we will go to SSR because we love it there, so relaxing, but I want to try one other DVC while we are there. So I have been looking around and they all seem so wonderful! My kids will be 6 and 4 when we go and one LOVES to swim and the other likes to swim. We will see every park because my inlaws have never been to WDW. What should I be looking for. I was thinking VWl for access to Mk, BCV foe SAB and Epcot, BWV for the boardwalk and Epcot. We know there are soem good restaurants around BCV and BWV too. We will be there 7 or 8 nights so I was thinking 4 nights at SSR and the other 3-4 at a different DVC. Thanks for any help

PS We probably will not have a car and that is fine. We did SSR last Jan with no car and it was fine.

I would probably not want to change resorts for a trip that short. I'd feel like I was packing and unpacking all the time. We did something similar to that in May for 8 days, and I hated it!!

We've stayed at all of the resorts just to see what they're like. I strongly recommend this as that way you'll come to your own conclusions about what YOU like best. But I agree with Diane....moving ain't fun!
John

I agree with Diane about moving. You really do feel like all you are doing is packing and unpacking. As far as which resort to stay at...I guess there are alot of factors to take into consideration.

How many points are you willing to spend? Are you staying in a large accomodation or a couple smaller accomodations? Do you like the feel of relaxation or the hustle and bustle? Would you rather have privacy and seclusion (like OKW and SSR) or have a hotel like atmosphere (like BWV)? Do you like the tropics or are you into the wilderness?

I love the wilderness but when I head south I have to stay somewhere with a beachy tropical theme. It really depends on you as a person and as a family. You will read MANY different opinions on this board but ultimately the decision must be based on what you would like. Each resort is truely wonderful in it's own unique way and I'm sure that other DISers will agree with that.

I will be the dissenting person so far - I say go for it. You say you are a planner. If you pack so that you have everything for the first stay in one or two bags and the rest in bags you don't need to open it helps if you are going to move. If you are in a 1 or 2 bedroom you will have a washer and dryer and can take less clothes. As a day or so goes by do some laundry put it in the suitcase that you have stashed in the closet and then then it is already packed. There are ways to make it not really all that stressful. I managed to do three resorts between Christmas Eve and Jan 4 - OKW(5 nights), SSR(4nights) and an off site(2 nights) on the weekend to save points. I would try for BCV or WLV although my favorite is OKW. The pool at BCV is great and WLV proximity to MK is a bonus. I would be most concerned with how the parents will take moving. If they are fine with it give it a try. My trip in Sept coming up will be 2 nights at SSR and 5 at OKW. The other thing to keep in mind about January is you can't count on the weather so swimming may be an iffy thing. Good luck with whatever you decide.

jdvm said:
moving ain't fun!
I'll second (or is it third?) that! Besides packing up and actually getting everything to the new resort, there is that lag time between check out time at the first resort and check in time at the new one. You may have a sprinkle of pixiedust: and your villa could be ready when you arrive, but it's quite possible you will be 'homeless' for a few hours. So you have to plan well for that day, with everything you need in a daypack that you keep with you.) You might want to see how well this would fly with your husband's parents.
We have used Bell Services to move luggage between resorts and had bad experiences on two separate occasions (both this year). Now I will say that many people use this service (which is free btw, aside from tips to the CM's) and it works flawlessly for them.
Here's how it works: You pack up your stuff and have Bell Services take it. They move it to the next resort for you. Meanwhile you can head to the parks for the day (although I recommend checking in a the new resort as early in the day as you can before you go anywhere else - one person can do this and meet up with the group at the park - keep in touch with cell phones, then it's easy to meet up). When you get back from the parks (they give you a number to call so you can check to see when you villa is ready)...once you are in the villa, you call Bell Services and they will bring your luggage up for you. Sounds good in theory, doesn't it? The problem we had both times was the transfer took a l...o...n...g time and we were without our luggage for about 12 hours :mad: On one of those occasions we ended up having to go to dinner at California Grill without being able to change or do much to freshen up after our time in the parks that day. :headache: (So maybe people who turn up at the signature restaurants without proper attire are not all ignorant slobs :blush:...but I digress)
If you do decide to change resorts in spite of all this discouragement :scratchin , may I suggest you use a taxi to move the luggage? It won't be free, but for around $20, at least you know where your things are and will have access to it at any time you need it on move day. If you take the taxi to go over to the resort to check in and bring the luggage then, you can store it with Bell Services (and have access to it) at the new resort until your are in your villa. Another key point: no matter how nicely you ask, or how well you tip, Bell Services will not bring luggage up to a villa unless someone is there to receive it. The only exception to this is luggage that is delivered via Magical Express.
Sorry this is so long, but I thought you might want to know the worst case scenario.

I am a ways away from our next vacation but I am a planner so I am on it now. We plan to go to WDW in Jan 2009. We are bringing my husbands parents too. We know we will go to SSR because we love it there, so relaxing, but I want to try one other DVC while we are there. So I have been looking around and they all seem so wonderful! My kids will be 6 and 4 when we go and one LOVES to swim and the other likes to swim. We will see every park because my inlaws have never been to WDW. What should I be looking for. I was thinking VWl for access to Mk, BCV foe SAB and Epcot, BWV for the boardwalk and Epcot. We know there are soem good restaurants around BCV and BWV too. We will be there 7 or 8 nights so I was thinking 4 nights at SSR and the other 3-4 at a different DVC. Thanks for any help

PS We probably will not have a car and that is fine. We did SSR last Jan with no car and it was fine.

Well... first off. I would say BCV for the kids, but then BWV for the in-laws... Would the inlaws mind chaos (BCV)? Do you mind the kids experiencing the adult atmosphere of BWV?

If this is likely the one and only trip with the inlaws... then go to BWV for them... If they are going to continue coming.... go for the kids to BCV.

I am sure that clears everything up. Right?

Wrong.... bottom line.... impress the inlaws... go to BWV.

By the Way... We are a Wilson family of four also... Rob Wilson. If you didn't know, you are a part of the Scottish klan... "Gunn". :goodvibes

This is our schedule for our Oct. vacation:
Fly from NY to MCO....drive to VB
Stay at the Best Western for Sat. night
Check into DVB on Sun. - check out on Tuesd
Check into BCV on Tues thru Fri
Check into POR on Fri and depart from MCO to ISP on Sunday

We hardly ever use points for weekends at DVC...the points double, and the price of a room is cheaper than using points. We added the first Sat. on as a "last" minute thought! We always wind up at two different hotels for a weeks trip!

If both your children like to swim I would definitely suggest BCV....there's nothing like SAB! But any of the DVC resorts are good picks...so it's really up to you!

I think you should stay at BWV (if you can get a ressie). You can then enjoy both the BWV and the BCV. If you are staying at BWV you can enjoy the boardwalk at night and the kids can use the pool there or go across the lake and enjoy the SAB pool at BCV (the best pool in all the "world") - IMO!!

Good luck in your decision and have fun!!

I think you should stay at BWV (if you can get a ressie). You can then enjoy both the BWV and the BCV. If you are staying at BWV you can enjoy the boardwalk at night and the kids can use the pool there or go across the lake and enjoy the SAB pool at BCV (the best pool in all the "world") - IMO!!

Good luck in your decision and have fun!!

Sorry no pool hopping to SAB. You must be staying at YC, BC or BCV to use that pool. If you stay at BCV you could however hop over to the evil clown pool at BWV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter