Need help choosing strollers for my 2 kids with CP

triplefigs

<marquee><font color=009933>Triple Chick</marquee>
2 of my triplets have hypotonic cerebral palsy and have trouble walking long distances. My DD also has RSD in her foot and ankle (resulting from a broken growth plate). We will be using the strollers constantly in the parks, etc. We currently have a cheap umbrella and double umbrella for them. However, they are approaching the weight limit (they weigh 32,35, and 35 pounds). I'm afraid by December they will be over the limit. Is that really a problem, or should we be OK?

If not, I'm looking for a single and a double that are lightweight, easy to fold, and comfortable for the kids. We don't use them much except for shopping, mall, etc. The kids are fine for short distances, but I know they will need them in December when we go.

Thanks for any help!

Here's a really good site that has lots of different types of special needs strollers: adaptive mall
One of the popular types are the Maclaren strollers that are like giant umbrella strollers.
Another thing to think about is wheelchairs. They would need someone to push them in the special needs strollers, but if they were capable of pushing themselves in wheelchairs, it would give more independence. Someone would still be able to push them, if needed, but there would be the option of them pushing themselves.
My DD is not able to walk. She got her first wheelchair at 2 and 1/2 years and it made a big difference for her to be able to move around by herself.

triplefigs said:
We currently have a cheap umbrella and double umbrella for them. However, they are approaching the weight limit (they weigh 32,35, and 35 pounds). I'm afraid by December they will be over the limit. Is that really a problem, or should we be OK?
Almost forgot.
Usually, as you get close to the weight limit, the strollers get harder to push. Eventually, the tires can wear out or break. If you don't care if the strollers are junked by the time you leave the parks, they might be OK.

You might also want to check on the Family Board. There are quite a few threads about strollers on there.

i rented a maccleran stroller for my daughter last year from a company in orlando and it was the best money i ever spent! I would definitely rent one for this trip...not only because of the possibilities of wheels wearing out but also you do not have to worry about someone taking YOUR $700 stroller while you ride rides! This stroller fit in all the lines and even though some people threw me dirty looks because they thought i could not read the "no strollers beyond this point" sign, it was a godsend. My daughter has mild CP and also cannot walk long distances. The stroller rental was delivered and picked up at my hotel. She loved it! We could not have used the regular umbrella stroller because she is too tall (48 inches) but the maccleran stroller had plenty of room and she really liked it. I am sure you already know this but make sure you check with guest services at WDW to get your disability card for your kids

DH, who has worked forever in the maufacturing field, always tells me that items like strollers should be able to hold at least double their stated weight limit without breaking. That doesn't mean that they are easy to push though!

On a lark, I used to sit occasionally in DD's jogging stoller. It had a stated weight limit of 60# and I weigh about 105#. It didn't break or even groan. :rotfl:

If you really want to take your umbrella strollers, I wouldn't worry about your kids being a couple of pounds over the weight limit.

there are jogging strollers that have higher weight limit. my DD is 40 lbs. we are going thru getting her one that will last a long time. if you want to PM me, i can tell you what it envolves, it does take a while to get all the paperwork done and such. i do not want to post all the specifics so that people who do not "need" this type of equip do not abuse the system.

anne

Another thing I thought of this morning.
If your 2 kids with CP are working with a PT(Physical Therapist) ot OT(Occupational Therapist, for those readers who don't have kids with physical disabilities), they might be aware of a "lending closet" or something similar where you can borrow equipment or even buy equipment that other children have outgrown.

Thanks to all for the great suggestions!

TxAggie: do you have the number for the rental place?

SueinMn: Yes, we get PT, OT, Hippotherapy, and Speech weekly. I'll ask them about borrowing. I'm also going to email my triplet club and a local organization we belong to (FOCUS) to see if anyone would loan us one for the trip.

The Maclerran and Volvo sound perfect for us, but a little expensive. I'll also follow-up to see if our insurance will help cover it medically.

Again, thank you all! Hoping that we have a great trip!

The axiom by dreamer design is a jogging stroller, they also have a double, does not hold as much weight- but that is another one to consider. it is like all other joggers except it has a foot brake and it also has the full bubble canopy. I am not sure if the maclearan does. they are very spendy, but should qualify thru insurance.

OK - I have to ask. Are these Macleran strollers good for larger children? I'd love to use an over-size stroller instead of a wheelchair for my son (12 years old, 96 pounds).

Thanks,
Lisa

I have seen some rather large children in them. Check with your therapist and see what is available.

LisaBi said:
OK - I have to ask. Are these Macleran strollers good for larger children? I'd love to use an over-size stroller instead of a wheelchair for my son (12 years old, 96 pounds).

Thanks,
Lisa
Here's a link to the large size Maclaren strollers. The largest one will actually hold up to 140 pounds I believe. I think the company was actually making special needs strollers befor they made regular ones -in one of my first Nursing jobs a long time ago, we had kids who used what were called Maclaren buggies (strollers, but made in England and that's apparently what they call them there).
Anyway, they are lightweight, sturdy and known to take a beating and not break.

One place you used to be able to rent special needs strollers was A Baby's Best Friend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter