Need Help Connvincing Dh Please

marlouwrig

Mouseketeer
DH is finally coming round to thinking that just maybe DVC might be a good idea. Will still need a lot of convincing though.

He has agreed to take a phone call from DVC to discuss possibility
(believe me this is a major breakthrough)

I would be very grateful for help/clarification of the following points as I need as much ammunition as possible to deal with his objections

1. If we buy now which resort would we be able to buy into - would we have a choice?.

2. How much roughly is the annual charge?

3. How difficult is it to book accommodation?

4. Generally what sort of organisation is DVC to deal with - especially at such a distance?

5. How does the accommodation generally compare with for example a moderate disney resort?

Thankyou - would really value your opinions

Hi :-)

Good luck convincing your DH, it is so worth it if you can.

1) I know that around 3 weeks ago BCV was 90% sold out but don't know the situation now I'm afriad, they were releasing some points at the BWV, and Saratoga Springs will be pre sold soon. So I guess the answer to that is that I don't really know!

2) Depends completely on how many points you buy, At the BCV Annual dues are $3.77 per point, per year.

3) We've only been home once since buying in, but booked for May (including Memorial weekend) at 10 months out for 14 consecutive nights with no problems at all.

4) I think DVC are fantastic to deal with, there's a free phone number so that you don't have to call the US, if you do speak to their voice mail they call you back very quickly, they also appear to keep details on their screen as every time we speak to our sales person she remembers things about us and I'm sure her memory isn't that good! Very friendly, very helpful and not in the least bit pushy.

5) I can't help with this one either as we've never stayed at a Disney moderate resort, we stayed at the All Stars before becoming DVC member and there's really no comparison :)

I really can't think of a bad thing to tell you about DVC, be warned though, once you're in, you'll be hooked! :)

Good luck

Thanks for replying so quickly Jo - very helpful and informative.

Not much info at all on the DVC website - what and where is Saratoga Springs?

I am getting excited now

Mary

Saratoga Springs is being built on the site of the old Disney Institute, so it's very close to Downtown Disney.

I haven't actually stayed at a DVC resort, but I have stayed at a moderate - the complete opposite of Jo! From alll that I've read on the US DVC board, people seem to think that the accomodation is more on a par with the deluxe resorts and the rooms are a similar size. It might also be because most of them are part of such resorts - Beach/Yacht Club, Boardwalk and Wilderness Lodge and so you have access to all the facilities and perks like room service. OKW is the only one which is purely DVC accomodation (so no room service!) and I think that's considered deluxe because the rooms are so spacious. Don't forget that even in a studio you will have a small fridge, microwave and sink, which you would never get in a regular hotel room, and in the one and two bedroom you have a full kitchen.

You aren't just tied down to buying what Disney are currently selling - you could buy into any home resort through resale and probably get a better deal too. Before you decide, ask yourself where would you really like to stay.

Have you bought that add-on yet Jo - are BCV really 90% sold out?!

Hi Becky :)

Well.......... we've got the paperwork but on the understanding that we have a month to consider it (cash is the only consideration - LOL) although DVC said if we want longer just to call, so it's sitting there waiting for us to make the big decision.

We're rearranging some finances so it depends on the outcome of that. When we spoke to Michelle our DVC rep she told us that DVC was 90% sold out and they only had certain use years left, that's why she let us reserve the points we may want so we didn't miss out by the time we'd decided.

Exciting stuff though, I can hardly take my eyes off the fed-ex box in the corner - lol

Ooh - that sounds SO exciting. Keep me posted!

I didn't realise that they could give you so much time between thinking about it and signing - mmmm, that's given me an idea!:teeth:

LOL, and I thought I was bad, you're encoragable! :):):)

See Mary, this is what happens once you're a member, you just want more and more.

I already want more and I want it now!!!!

Bring it on!!!!

I feel like you two are my best buddies already.

Two more questions - please if you would be so kind

1. What is use year. Does it relate to the month you buy your points? So if I buy in July then my new allocation of points each year starts in July or can I nominate a month?

2. Are there any extra costs involved apart from $84 per point and annual dues.

3. Have you or do you know anyone who bought resale and would you/they recommend it.

Yes I Know that's 3 questions - just call me greedy

Thanks

Mary

Hi Mary,

We were allocated a February use year when we bough last August, I don't know how they decide which use year to give you, the only relevance it has is that that's the month when your points become available each year, I don't know of anyone who's experienced a problem due to their use year. If you wanted a specific use year month, it's always worth asking, they're very accomadating.

The only costs we had were the cost per point and the annual dues, no hidden costs at all.

Becky is the expert on resales, I've not explored that avenue YET! LOL

Thanks Jo

Just so I make sure I understand this. You bought in August but did not have any points until Feb. Is that right?

Do you mind me asking how many points you have?

Max we can afford I think is 175.

Thanks for all your help

Maryx

Hi Mary,

We bought in August 2002 and were allocated points from February 2002 so we had points to use straight away.
Just to confuse you further though we used something called Magical Beginnings which means that DVC bought back our first years points from us, so we only paid $75 a point rather than the $80 cost is was then.
We had no intentions of going in 2002 so that was a good decision for us.

We bought 165 points last year which for us worked out at 2 weeks at the BCV 2 years out of every 3 in a studio, we're now considering a 100 point add-on, so that we can choose to either go every year, or 2 out of 3 in a one bed.

Thanks Jo

sorry to appear so thick but DH will want i's crossed and t's dotted - or is that the other way round.

Anyway just to check I have it right> If I buy 175 pts in August and my use year is Feb ( for example) I have 175 pts right away and a further 175 pts in Feb 2004?

So I could make a ressie in November 2003 for Oct 2004 using all those points?

We are going in six weeks time and DH says we should wait until then and attend a presentation before deciding.

I want to move now. Any arguments you could suggest to support my point of view.

Thanks again - DVC should have you on commission lol.

Maryx

Originally posted by marlouwrig

Anyway just to check I have it right> If I buy 175 pts in August and my use year is Feb ( for example) I have 175 pts right away and a further 175 pts in Feb 2004?

So I could make a ressie in November 2003 for Oct 2004 using all those points?

Absolutely right, it would also give you the opportunity to buy at a lower rate if they're offering magical beginnings still (they were giving $10 a point on BCV and $15 a point at Vero Beach a little while ago) if you choose to not use your 2003 points.

To be honest the only benefit I can think of of buying now is to escape a possible price rise, you could also speak to the rep and see what's available and maybe arrange a tour for when you're there? I know how you feel though, when I want to do something, I want to do it now!

And I wish DVC paid me commission, I'm always trying to talk someone or other into it! LOL

Let us know how you get on

How long you want to wait before you buy, could influence where you buy. If the BCVs are close to selling out then if that's where you really want to be then it might be worth moving before you visit WDW. Do you know your Disney resorts well and which you like best? The BCV are very central - very close to Epcot and the Studios, and you can only use Stormalong Bay if you are staying there.

As for a price rise, Disney will announce when it's going to happen, but give people a bit of time to buy their points at the current price. If you read the US DVC board, someone will post something as soon as anything is known.

Happy to help with any resale questions. I bought my inital contract resale as I wanted OKW and I did a small add on at BCV through Disney. Buying through Disney is almost too easy - you could just keep adding on!! The main drawback with resale is that you can't use a credit card, you have to do a bank transfer, but to be honest, it only takes 10 mins to do and bank will certainly help you. It will also cost you about £40 for each transfer which are charges from your bank for sending it and also from the US bank for receiving it!! And you will probably have to do two transfers - one for the deposit and one for the balance! You also have to pay postage to send back any forms the resale broker sends you to sign, but you will only have to do that a couple of times as well, possibly even just once. Those costs add up a bit, but if you find a well priced resale contract, you will still be spending less money than buying from Disney.

As for use year - do you have a particular time when you prefer to visit? It's best, but not essential, to have a use year that starts just before you plan to go, if you have a favourite regular time of year. That way if you have to cancel, you have almost a whole year in which to book another trip, before you run the risk of losing points. Buying through Disney you could probably now choose the use year you want if it's still available. With resale it depends what's being sold for where you want and the number of points you want, though there a huge variety. Or get in touch with a resale broker and tell them to let you know when what you want comes onto their books

Jo - I'd only be doing an add-on so you don't have more points than me!! :p

Thanks to you both - really helpful info.

The DVC site has almost no information at all apart from info on the resorts.

Do you know how long it takes them to contact you. I requested a call back hours ago. I am not usually this impatient (what a fibber) but I am really on a mission with this now.

Maryx

I think they are very much Monday to Friday people!! You will probably have to wait till Monday now - sorry.

Mary, I understand why you'd like to move quicker, but I think you'll be risking a lot less potential strife if you wait for your hubby to go through the presentation and to give him the time to go through anything that worries him ( send him here we'll sort him out LOL). DVC is quite a big investment and IMHO it's one that needs both of you to be 100% happy with. It's just too easy a weapon to throw in the unlikely event you have a financial disagreement in the future.

You have a lot of things to consider, which resort would be one. That can only really be done by taking a drive through each of them, maybe a walk past the reception and pool areas to try and get a feeling for which resort suits you. It's worth taking the time. All of the resorts are fantastic and each has it's own character, I would say they are definately more in the line of the delux resorts as opposed to the mods. I would look into the idea of a resale as, if you can find one with points banked it can work out to be a real bargain. I'm not a big fan of the " magical beginnings" program, IMHO there is more value in having the points available and making full use of them. JMHO.

Thanks for your advice Vernon.

You are absolutely right of course. Much more sensible to allow DH to come to a decision in his own time. Financial disagreements are a way of life in our house - its become rather a spectator sport for our kids.

Patience is not my strong suit and when I want something I want it now. However I think we will get all the info we can and then wait until we get out there.

What you say about resale versus direct is also very interesting.

Thanks

Mary

Just a further to the ideas on resort choice and potential resales. You really should try to buy at the resort you feel you would want to usethe most. It's a nice perk to be able to use the other resorts if they are available, but you should try to make surethat the resort you buy at is the one that you'll be happy to spend the majority of your trips. There are resales out there with banked points, you just have to be patient ;) and be ready to act if a good deal comes up. It can make a huge difference to the "real value" of a contract if it has points banked or points borrowed. Buying a contract with points banked is likely to cost you a little more, BUT that should decrease the chance of Disney exercising it's ROFR on the contract going through.
Saying all that about resales I do love the BCV atmosphere and think if I had a free choice of resorts it would be the one I choose ( mostly for the great feature pool). It may be difficult to get a feel for SSR as much of it is in the early stages of construction, but I think the nearest one is likely to be OKW so that will give you a good idea to what the "feel" of the resort will be.

Hi Mary,

I just wanted to agree with Vernon's advice to buy where you'd want to stay the most.

We chose the BCV mainly because of location (to the parks and The Boardwalk) but the deciding factor for us was StormalongBay, we figured that even if we fancied a weeks holiday without touring theme parks (unlikely as it sounds now - but who knows in years to come) it was somewhere that we'd be happy and suited us and the children.

how's it going btw?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter