• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need help deciding whether to try a Christmas to New Year's trip...

crusoe2

DIS Veteran
I need some advice from folks who visit WDW during the Christmas to New Year's week. Here's my situation: For a variety of reasons, it looks like the ONLY time we will be able to work in a Disney trip for the next few years will be the week between Christmas and New Year's. My problem is this - I know that week is one of the busiest of the year and we have a rather impatient DD who will be 2yo in Dec. We also may need to stay off-site in a condo both for the sake of saving money and having more space, full kitchen, etc. (We just did an overnite stay in a hotel room with DD and were constantly falling over each other trying to keep up with her.:crazy: We don't care to repeat that experience anytime soon even tho we love staying at Disney resorts.) So, I need advice on planning a trip for that time period. Because of traveling with a toddler we would be taking a slower pace no matter what time of year we go. And since we've been a few times already we pretty well know our way around. But is it a total waste of time and money to try it with a toddler during such a busy time? And will it be a huge mistake to stay off-site? Thanks for any advice or information you folks can pass along - I'd hate to not go to WDW for a few years especially while DD is young enough to believe in the magic. But I don't want to waste our money or the precious little time we have off work, either.

That week is very, very, very crowded. Wait times are 3-4 hours. FastPasses are gone by noon. Chances are you would not be allowed back into the parks if you left and returned. Most people go early and stay until late. PS are a must. If you go back to posts from Jan1-15 on this forum (about page 215), you will read a lot of comments from people on how busy it is that week. Also, on the trip reports forum a lot people wrote about their trip during that time. I think it would be awful at that time with a 2-year old -- especially going at a slower pace. The weather can be 80 or 40. From what we have experienced at that time, it would be a waste of time with a toddler and staying offsite that week would be the worst thing. The week before Xmas and starting Jan 1, are much better.

we went to Disney last December from the 19th to the 2nd of January. The first week 19th-25th December was fantastic, the second week from 26th December -2nd of January was a nightmare. I have never seen so many people in one place at one time. Because we were staying on site we were able to leave the parks and come back but I know of people staying off site who could not get back in and the parks were full by 11am.

If you can at all, avoid this week- I would.

:sunny:

My cousin and her two daughters, 11 and 3 (now 12 and 4) went last yearthat week and the week before. They liked it, but said never again.

Her DD12 was so sad that she had to miss alot of big rides because they could not wait in the long standby lines and FP's were gone by noon. Normally , my cousins DH would hold the baby, or wait in line with dd12 but he didn't go on this trip as he was out of the country visiting an ailing relative. :( So basically my DC had to handle the two girls herself, and she didn't want DD12 waiting in line alone for hours.

On Christmas day the parks were closed to capacity and they couldn't leave for fear of not getting back into the MK.

They said next year that will go in early Dec.

Wow! This is not good news.:( I knew that we would have to plan carefully for that week and possibly would have to go with an on-site room rather than an off-site condo. But this sounds much worse than I expected. This may mean no more trips to WDW for awhile as that week is the only time I can be sure to get off work.:( We've had to cancel several times now because I was not able to accrue enough vac. time - everytime I get some leave time built up someone gets sick and I have to take off for doc. appts., stay home with sick kids, etc.:rolleyes:

We went two years ago at Christmas time from 12/27-1/3. We went with our then two year old twins and four year old. We had a good time and would do it again in a minute. We stayed off site and got to the parks when they opened, which was 8 am. We got all of the Fantasyland and Tomorrowland attractions done by noon and then we would use fast passes for those that we wanted to do again. We would have a leisurely lunch around noon and then go stake out a spot for the parades. We just went on a trip from 6/16-21 and although the lines were more managable and the trip was less expensive but the heat was unbearable and made the trip less enjoyable than the one we took at Christmas time. If you can get to the parks at opening, no later, you will have a good time with a 2 year old.
-Amy :)

Thanks, Amy - that makes me feel better. Maybe there is hope afterall.:earsgirl: Did you guys stay until closing or take breaks and go back later? If you tried to re-enter a park, did you ever have a problem getting back in?

We went this past Christmas from 12/25 until 1/5 with our 5 kids. We stayed offsite due to cost and because we had done on site with the kids and like you did not enjoy tripping over each other! We rented a home at Windsor Palms, which we loved. We had our days planned and PS for everything, right down to NYE Fantasmic Package and Candlelight Processional. It was horribly crowded and they did close the parks early, but would I do it again? As the ad says.....In a New York minute! :p We went when the parks opened did our PS for either breakfast or lunch and then went home for 4-5 hours of naps and swimming. When we went back it was either to another park, for a PS-we had 1 for every day but 2, or to stay at the parks when it was less crowded. Some of our most memorable times were at 11PM in the parks with little to no waits! Don't get me wrong it can be miserable and wall to wall but if you do things right eg fast passes as soon as possible it can be enjoyable. Also we go FP several times in the morning and the come back time was at night eg Mission Space, Test Track etc. That was no problem as we would go home and come back refreshed and ride those rides and others. Again much planning and PS can make this experience not too bad! Of course going at a less crowded time is ideal but if this is the only time you can go I say go for it and plan ahead! Hope this helps.:wave2:

I have only been to the world once during that time frame and would have to say I would not waste my time or money to subject myself to those crowds again! Especially if I had a toddler. I do realize that you said this is the only time you could go but in reality and if money is an issue I don't think you would get your money's worth unless you really planned ahead with PS's etc. Believe it or not, I had stayed offsite and it took me 3 hours to exit the parking lot because I stayed til closing, maybe with shuttles it would be a different story but I can only say what happened to me.........I wish you could make it another time, like early Dec. when the parks are really beautiful and the crowds very manageable, because as you said this is a great time to take a toddler and see her light up!

An earlier poster suggested taking a long break and going back late at night. My toddlers would never have managed those late hours, but sounds like a good strategey if you have older kids. STAY ON SITE! Better to be tripping over each other than travelling hours in a car to enter and exit the parks. Easier, too, if naps are needed.

I would go and have a great time!!!!! We went last year from the 27th through Jan. 3rd mainly to see if we would like it for this year. Our children now have incompatible vacation schedules except for this week. It was crowded but I thought it was manageable as long as you don't have your heart set on going on every ride in the place:) The decorations are great and Disney is so beautiful. Concentrate on seeing the decorations in the parks and resorts

I would however stay on Disney property. It is worth it to be a little confined. I would stay at Epcot hotel or MK hotel if you can afford to do so. You will be able to experience fireworks from your hotel( and maybe from your room) without having to go into parks on New Years Eve. I prefer the Epcot hotels because you can walk in and out of Epcot on New Years Eve at your convenience and the park is bearable until the evening. Let your toddler run around in the play area at the resort you pick. Go for it . You will have a great time and wonderful pictures. :teeth: ::yes:: ::yes::

Thanks to all of you for your input. Overall it sounds like it might be OK. What kind of wait times have you experienced at attractions like Playhouse Disney, TTA, Living with the Land - the stuff that wouldn't really be considered E rides? Are there really long waits for everything or just the big attractions like Mission Space, Splash Mtn., etc.? We wouldn't have our hearts set on doing all the thrill rides since DD is too small and our DS doesn't care for them, anyway. As a matter of fact, my DH and I have always just picked 1 or 2 that we would like to work in each trip and we got Fastpasses for those and took turns doing the rides while the other parent took DS to do something he enjoyed. We're also accustomed to short trips where we have to pick and choose what we would like to do this time and what we're willing to save for a future trip. As for the hassle of getting out of the parks if we stay offsite, I've experienced some long waits (about a 2 hr. wait once at Epcot closing) for Disney buses that were standing room only. Believe me, with our DD using our own transportation will be a must anyway - that way any meltdowns will at least be in the privacy of our own car.:rolleyes: :D Thanks again for all the input - we'll heed all those warnings and plan carefully.:)

You asked about wait times and whether or not we went to the parks in the evenings. We got to the parks when they opened and since we had small children, we would try to stay until 4-5 and then head back to the hotel for swim and early bedtime. Our first day was an exception since we went to MGM and wanted to see Osbourn lights. We actually went from park opening until 9 pm when the Osbourn lights were on. I think we got home that night around 11. The two year old twins took a short nap in their stroller and they were fine. I am sure we could have gone back to our hotel the day we went to MGM because the park was not that crowded and there is no way it was filled to capacity. We didn't have long waits at MGM at all. We were able to get into every show we wanted to without waiting long. We did three days at MK since that was what the kids really liked. We never waited in line more than 30 minutes, but as I stated above, we were at the park when they opened and we were on a mission to ride as much as we could by noon time. We also avoided early entry days for onsite guests. Dumbo and the Speedway cars had to be avoided after the first half hour because those lines were long. We rarely would do a ride after noon time because by then the waits were long, 60-90 minutes. Exceptions to this would be if we had a fast pass or if we rode the train or the Tomorrow Land Transit Authority. On NYE we went to AK. This park was not crowded at all because there were no late night festivities. We had a fantastic day here and then went to the hotel, ordered take out and relaxed at the hotel. The other people we went with hit the hotel lounge and had a great time too. We never made it to Epcot, but the other people we went with did and loved this park because it felt the least croweded. The day they went here, they slept in until 9 and then headed to the park and were able to do Test Track a couple times by riding in the singles lines. Although we did not head back to the parks at night, the rest of out group did and never had trouble getting back in. They would head back between 6-8 to see the fireworks and parades. I think if you go with a plan, we read the Unofficial Guide, and you are prepared to get to the parks early you will have a great time. As you said, it will be truely magical for the two year old.
-Amy :)

... Paying a lot more for airfare because you couldn't buy your ticket long in advance for fear of having to cancel...

... Your child throwing a tantrum becuse he wants to go on Dumbo NOW and the line is 2-1/2 hours long exposed to the sun.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

We are planning to go from 12/24/05 - 12/31/05... Having spent Easter 2004 at the world and having a wonderful time with our 33 month old we wil try it again when she is almost 4 1/2..

We plan to stay at the Dolphin. We will do the get up Early stay until noonish, go back for a rest and hang out at the resort. We will do the pool if it is warm enough (coming from a place that hit 50 below zero with the wind chill last winter, this probably won't be a big issue), explore the boardwalk etc... Go back later.. We spent most evenings in EPCOT, which DD loved...

I think it is important to:

1. Have a Plan : Decide what you really want to ride on ( this includes 99 times on Dumbo and 101 times on IASM! etc..):D Know that you won't probably ride EVERY ride...

2. Use Fast Pass and don't be suprised if you get something extra!!! (Over easter we were able to get a fast pass for The Little Mermaid and Playhouse Disney at the same time.. They were handing them out and we were told we could have both! What a cool thing!)

3. When it get's too crazy, get out!!! We saw so many un happy parents and children because they had been at the parks all day and "by god we are going to get every cent out of this vacation!!! It is costing a small fortune!" (No lie... I laughed when I read it in the UFG...(I think... Len Testa will correct me if I am wrong) People really do say these things!

4. Enjoy the "little things"! Stopping on Main Street to see DD just hug and Hug Alice in wonderland was priceless... Hanging out oand watching the street performers on the Boardwalk at night was awesome! Those things are so important! I am sure my DD will love to go to see the Gingerbread house at the Grand Floridian!

5. Make your PS's early! You can always cancel them! (I hope someone was able to take advantage of the 2 PS's we had over Easter that we called and canceled that day!)

Being teachers we can only go during certain times of the year. We havedone Easter and can't wait to experience the Holidays at Christmas!

Don't be scared! Be Pro active and have a wonderful time!

We've been the past 2 years the first week of January. January 03 wasn't bad at all no lines no crowds, but it was colder. This past January 04 was a very different story. EXTREMELY crowded and mid 80's weather wise. We decided not to do this again. I suppose the better weather brought more people out. We got spoiled in 03' to the smaller crowds.:crowded:

Hi crusoe2,

If it's a choice between going to WDW at Christmas, or not going for a few years, I think we all agree that "go" is the only option.

I'd suggest getting to the Magic Kingdom as early as possible, and avoid the EMH days there. During Christmas, I expect that park to open no later than 8 am. If your DD2 is like my DD6 was at that age, being up at 6 am isn't a problem at all. With Epcot and the Studios, I think the crowds will be less of a factor for a variety of reasons.

I think the only potential problem you might face, as you noted, is that when you leave for a mid-day break, you may not be re-admitted into the parks because of crowds. I'd bet on that happening in the MK at least once. Matt "Quickgold" H., webmaster of MGMStudios.org, would be able to tell you the chances of being shut out of the Studios, too.

Sarahsmom73 has a really good strategy for dealing with this, and it involves heading to Epcot after your mid-day break. In essence, this means spending the morning at the MK, AK or DS and evenings in Epcot. That's the best general-purpose strategy I can think of (it's in the next edition of the Unofficial Guide, too). Plus Epcot's a great park if your DD2 can handle it.

dougsmom98, thanks for reading the Guide.

Sincerely,

Len Testa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter