Need help finding a mobility aid

gopher101

I love to plan trips
So my sister can walk but tires easy. She has Downs and cannot use EVC and will not use wheel chairs (people stare too much and it upsets her). Well we were at Target and she used Caroline's cart and loved it. So I was wondering if there was a mobility aid similar, something where she faces me (so she sees me and not other people looking at her) but I push her. Is there anything like this I can rent in Orlando? Any places that ight have something like it?

I can't think of anywhere that wouod rent out some thing like that. I also can't see Disney allowing a shopping cart in the parks.

What about a rollator?

So my sister can walk but tires easy. She has Downs and cannot use EVC and will not use wheel chairs (people stare too much and it upsets her). Well we were at Target and she used Caroline's cart and loved it. So I was wondering if there was a mobility aid similar, something where she faces me (so she sees me and not other people looking at her) but I push her. Is there anything like this I can rent in Orlando? Any places that ight have something like it?

Doesn't a Caroline's Cart face the rider backwards? That wouldn't be much fun at WDW, IMO. Maybe show your sister some photos of people at WDW in wheelchairs. People are going to stare more at someone being pushed facing backwards in a shopping cart set-up much more than a person in a regular wheelchair. You could also just go without anything, and then if she tires out, offer her the choice of going back to the room, or getting a wheelchair. By that point, you would have probably seen a dozen people (or more) using some sort of mobility device. Perhaps then she wouldn't be so self conscious about it?

What this reminds me of was a time that one of my kids had trouble walking (I think he got some terrible blisters on his foot from his shoes) and my friend has a rollator and we were able to sit him in it and roll him a bit. This made me wonder if there are rollators that double as wheelchairs and there is something like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Drive-Me...air-Rollator-Rolling-Walker-Burgundy/15423364

Could that be pushed with your sister sitting in it? I can't really tell how easy it would be. If your sister is short enough and doesn't need to be secured...lots of ifs there! There's also the option of turning it around so that she is forward facing.

What this reminds me of was a time that one of my kids had trouble walking (I think he got some terrible blisters on his foot from his shoes) and my friend has a rollator and we were able to sit him in it and roll him a bit. This made me wonder if there are rollators that double as wheelchairs and there is something like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Drive-Me...air-Rollator-Rolling-Walker-Burgundy/15423364

Could that be pushed with your sister sitting in it? I can't really tell how easy it would be. If your sister is short enough and doesn't need to be secured...lots of ifs there! There's also the option of turning it around so that she is forward facing.

not allowed at Disney . furthermore a transport chair is not meant for all day usage. it will get very uncomfortable very fast. and they are harder on the person pushing.

What size is your sister? If you were able to put her in a Caroline's Cart, I'm thinking she may be on the smaller side - or she's still young. The Keenz 7 Stroller Wagon may work; it has a weight limit of 110 lbs. They are expensive to purchase, but if you expect multiple trips over the years it may be cost effective to buy. Or I believe there are 1-2 rental vendors in Orlando. I don't have first-hand experience with the product, so I can't say if this would be acceptable for your situation but you can look into it.

Enjoy your vacation!

]Sorry for some of the confusion. I didn't mean an actual shopping cart. I just meant something where I push her and she faces me. I was just giving the cart as an example. A wheel chair is a no go, she refuses, and if I made her she would be miserable. My sister is tiny only about 110 and she does not have to be strapped in. She is mobile, just has stamina issues.

And lanejudy, thank you so much, but she is a bit to big.

We have a wagon to take her around at home but since it is a pull we cannot bring it. We also have a walker but that is way to hard for me to push her.

Good news, I did take advice to show her pictures, she has agreed to a special needs stroller as long as it has something to pull down over her head. So going to look into that.

It sounds like she is at max weight for the Keenz. That is a wagon you push like a stroller. But if she’s willing to use a special needs stroller, it’s probably a better option. :)

Just a word of advise do not push someone in a regular rollator walker. I have seen the wheels get stuck and the rollator tip over backwards and the person pushing fall down on top of the whole mess. Not a good situation at all. Most of those walkers aren’t meant to have someone sit on while pushed. They are just to sit and rest stationary for the most part.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter