Need help for my spectators

soozaay

2 excited 2 sleep
I'm running the Disney marathon and need some help for my spectators (husband & inlaws in their 70s)...not part of the ChEAR Squad...they're planning on seeing me inside MK...in the hub area....and then were thinking of either going to AK or WWOS complex to catch me, and then the finish line. Can they do all of this by using the Disney Bus transportation? I'm a sssllloooowww runner, and am in corral M.

Also, after the finish...can they ride the runner bus with me back to our resort (Saratoga Springs)?

I've done Disney half marathons in the past, but we stayed at a resort on the monorail....which made it so much easier for them to get around.

Thanks!
Susie

I'm running the Disney marathon and need some help for my spectators (husband & inlaws in their 70s)...not part of the ChEAR Squad...they're planning on seeing me inside MK...in the hub area....and then were thinking of either going to AK or WWOS complex to catch me, and then the finish line. Can they do all of this by using the Disney Bus transportation? I'm a sssllloooowww runner, and am in corral M.
There's a spectator guide on page 33 of the Event Guide - in looking at that, it looks like the only way to get to WWoS would be with their own car.

For MK, easiest thing to do would be to go to the start with you and then take the Epcot monorail to the MK - they would have a long wait so they may want to bring snacks! There will be coffee and things for sale as well.
Also, after the finish...can they ride the runner bus with me back to our resort (Saratoga Springs)?

I've done Disney half marathons in the past, but we stayed at a resort on the monorail....which made it so much easier for them to get around.

Thanks!
Susie
They can grab a bus back to Epcot and catch one of the resort buses back to Saratoga Springs. :)

I should add that I've never tried to watch the marathon from WWoS...just going off of what is in the Event Guide.

Thanks!
Susie

My parents had issues trying to catch me WWoS the one time they tried that. Only way in and out as far as I know is via a bus that runs from Epcot.

Honestly I would recommend skipping WWoS and have them see you in DHS and catching the boat to Epcot from there. My parents have had success seeing me at DHS and then again at the finish. But then again they also had a car.

Also depending on stops your making and overall pace they could probably try catching you either at the Poly or Grand a Floridian. My parents had success there before.

In the past DH has met me in WWoS, and then bussed it back to the finish line. But my reading of the participant's guide this year is that there won't be buses to WWoS and you have to find your own way there as a spectator. This bums me out because, for me, mile 18-19 is when I really start feeling like I need a friendly face and a hug. DH is trying to decide whether to brave the traffic and drive there with the rental car. If he doesn't do that I guess he will position himself as early in DHS as he can.

Thanks everyone! The WWOS was what really had me confused....I had read online that spectators had taken the bus there in the past and then I read the event guide and it didn't mention a bus...and I'm assuming driving for them will be horrific.

Will there be buses running from MK to AK and AK to Epcot? They we thinking of trying to catch me outside AK.

They really want to see me other than MK area and then the finish....and don't necessarily use a day pass to get into a park.

My sister is the only spectator who's followed me around and that was a few years ago--she said taking the bus around in the traffic was a nightmare and she would NOT be doing that again. Last year she came out and she ended up meeting me at Animal Kingdom taking the regular park bus there and meeting me in the parking lot by the resort bus stops since the park was opening soon anyway and then she took the bus from AK to the Beach Club and met me there. Oddly enough her bus also passed by me as I was going into Hollywood Studios so she saw me there, too!

My parents and husband saw me at Magic Kingdom, and then my husband and friends went to Boardwalk to have brunch, watch sports and have beers. I saw them again at Mile 24 and then saw my parents at the finish line. It was the easiest option for all involved.

ETA: I was in L, and they drove themselves except for MK where they parked at Epcot and took the monorail. AL is definitely doable, and possibly Boardwalk/Yacht and Beach Club too, if they plan extra time and get there early. Or if you determine the finish line is an important place for them to spectate - which, for me, it was.

If they do MK, I would take the monorail to a nearby resort and take a bus from there to AK (and grab some breakfast), then from AK either bus to Epcot for the finish line or one of the Epcot resorts to see you at Mile 24.

Awesome! Thanks! I'll just have them get over to TTC and get on the monorail to MK and just hang out in that area before taking the monorail to Epcot.

My parents and husband saw me at Magic Kingdom, and then my husband and friends went to Boardwalk to have brunch, watch sports and have beers. I saw them again at Mile 24 and then saw my parents at the finish line. It was the easiest option for all involved.

ETA: I was in L, and they drove themselves except for MK where they parked at Epcot and took the monorail. AL is definitely doable, and possibly Boardwalk/Yacht and Beach Club too, if they plan extra time and get there early. Or if you determine the finish line is an important place for them to spectate - which, for me, it was.

If they do MK, I would take the monorail to a nearby resort and take a bus from there to AK (and grab some breakfast), then from AK either bus to Epcot for the finish line or one of the Epcot resorts to see you at Mile 24.

What time did they head over to Epcot to park?

Thanks everyone! The WWOS was what really had me confused....I had read online that spectators had taken the bus there in the past and then I read the event guide and it didn't mention a bus...and I'm assuming driving for them will be horrific.

Will there be buses running from MK to AK and AK to Epcot? They we thinking of trying to catch me outside AK.

They really want to see me other than MK area and then the finish....and don't necessarily use a day pass to get into a park.
Well, this has passed, but I could not just leave this thread without commenting on your DIS avatar picture:

Go Cubs Go
and
FLY the W

Thanks!
Susie
Following.

Looks like this thread got revived :D

I want to do something similar to @soozay 's friends and family. My girlfriend is running the 2018 Dopey! I wanted to jump around a bit to help her. Cheer her on at MK, get her some fresh clothes outside of AK, around the halfway point, and then hoof it myself to Epcot to the finish. I just don't think I'd be able to get to her at DHS or WWoS and still make it to the finish. Yes, i'm relying on Disney Transportation.

So I got some advice before from a Disney Vet, and he told me to monorail it from Epcot to MK, and after she passes by, run my own legs to the Contemporary or GFL and take the bus to AK. That part seems simple enough.

After that is where things get weird for me. He said to take the bus from AK to either BC or YC, and then transfer from there to a bus that will take me to the front of Epcot. Since BC and YC have access to the International Gateway to Epcot, I thought they didn't have buses that went to the front. Does Disney offer extra buses on Marathon day to get to the front?

Looks like this thread got revived :D

I want to do something similar to @soozay 's friends and family. My girlfriend is running the 2018 Dopey! I wanted to jump around a bit to help her. Cheer her on at MK, get her some fresh clothes outside of AK, around the halfway point, and then hoof it myself to Epcot to the finish. I just don't think I'd be able to get to her at DHS or WWoS and still make it to the finish. Yes, i'm relying on Disney Transportation.

So I got some advice before from a Disney Vet, and he told me to monorail it from Epcot to MK, and after she passes by, run my own legs to the Contemporary or GFL and take the bus to AK. That part seems simple enough.

After that is where things get weird for me. He said to take the bus from AK to either BC or YC, and then transfer from there to a bus that will take me to the front of Epcot. Since BC and YC have access to the International Gateway to Epcot, I thought they didn't have buses that went to the front. Does Disney offer extra buses on Marathon day to get to the front?

The viewing outside of GFla is much better than Contemporary, and you can take the Monorail or maybe a boat there ... plus, it buys you a little extra time, and it's always nice to see a friendly face after Cone Alley and before you head out to the Waste Plant. You'll see TONS of spectators along the GFla/golf course stretch.

You can probably make DHS AND Epcot happen. Take a bus from AK to DHS, and wait for her at the bus loop (AKA the entrance to the "safe zone"). From there, call an Uber/Lyft to take you to Epcot - it will cost you MAYBE $6. Once you get to Epcot, walk straight across the entrance area to the finish line and you can see her finish, or go in the park and wait by Spaceship Earth, or along World Showcase if you want to see her prior to the Finish Line, and then head out and meet her after she crosses the finish line.

If you take a bus straight from AK to BC/YC, you're going to be waiting her out for about 10 miles. If she needs things like fresh clothes outside of AK (which is Mile 13-14), she would probably appreciate seeing you at DHS before the Final Stretch. Personally, my husband has always been at the entrance to the Epcot Resort loop waiting for me with a beer - that's all I've needed, a hug/kiss and some tasty, tasty booze.

What kind of pace is she planning to run for the Marathon? Does she use a Garmin or GPS watch? This will definitely help design an effective viewing plan!

The viewing outside of GFla is much better than Contemporary, and you can take the Monorail or maybe a boat there ... plus, it buys you a little extra time, and it's always nice to see a friendly face after Cone Alley and before you head out to the Waste Plant. You'll see TONS of spectators along the GFla/golf course stretch.

You can probably make DHS AND Epcot happen. Take a bus from AK to DHS, and wait for her at the bus loop (AKA the entrance to the "safe zone"). From there, call an Uber/Lyft to take you to Epcot - it will cost you MAYBE $6. Once you get to Epcot, walk straight across the entrance area to the finish line and you can see her finish, or go in the park and wait by Spaceship Earth, or along World Showcase if you want to see her prior to the Finish Line, and then head out and meet her after she crosses the finish line.

If you take a bus straight from AK to BC/YC, you're going to be waiting her out for about 10 miles. If she needs things like fresh clothes outside of AK (which is Mile 13-14), she would probably appreciate seeing you at DHS before the Final Stretch. Personally, my husband has always been at the entrance to the Epcot Resort loop waiting for me with a beer - that's all I've needed, a hug/kiss and some tasty, tasty booze.

What kind of pace is she planning to run for the Marathon? Does she use a Garmin or GPS watch? This will definitely help design an effective viewing plan!

I wanted to get some pictures of her in front of what I like to call Cindy's humble abode (Cinderella's Castle) and then chase a bus to DAK. As much as I'd like to also see her at DHS, I just don't trust the Uber driver knowing how to navigate the road closures to get to Epcot on time. As such, I'm just looking for a direct route from DAK to the front of Epcot.

She'll be starting, by this year's placement, in corral N (just under a 15 minute mile), so she won't be going for broke, but just to finish. I joked that the only way to not get swept up by the balloon ladies and bus of shame is to wait until they go, and then start BEHIND them :D

She will have an Apple Watch on her, so I'll see if I can keep track of her with that and either my iPad, or an older iPhone that I'll pick up between now and the race.

There won't be road closures from DHS to Epcot as the roads connecting the two either had no race components on them OR were the starting area for the race and were cleared hours before when you were looking. The race enters DHS from the backside of the park, closer to WWoS and nowhere near roadway to Epcot.

See her at DHS and then take an Uber *literally* across the street to Boardwalk and walk from there.

From DAK to Epcot, you're look at 10 miles ... 150 minutes. That's 2.5 hours. Just take a bus from DAK to Epcot if that's your goal.

Also, not to pile on to the bad information that the "Disney Vet" gave you - but if you want to see her at the Castle, going to Contemporary afterwards makes no sense as she's already passed that area on her way into MK.

So, you need to go monorail from Epcot - TTC - MK. See her at the castle (be warned, it may be a ChEAR Squad-only area). Then back out to MK to monorail to Grand Floridian, walk outside and see her at the turn on the corner by the golf course. Walk back to the Grand Floridian and take the bus to Animal Kingdom. If she's going to change clothes at Animal Kingdom, you need to either be by the bathrooms en route to Everest OR in Dinoland, otherwise you can wait in the bus loop and she can change in a Porta-Potty.

I had no intention on actually seeing her at GFL or Contemporary, that was just my way of getting on a bus to get to DAK. I wanted to cheer her on inside MK. So after she passes, and I leave to go on my way, I don't really care which way I head out :D My next objective after Cindy's House is to see her at DAK. The area inside of MK may be ChEAR squad, and that's ok, I'm thinking about buying that just to be able to see her, before running off.

I don't have a problem running from MK to the resorts on either side, as I have a little running ability (not marathon level, but i can survive from Main Street MK to one of the resorts).

So the twister is the AK to Epcot, and there will be direct buses going that way? That's been my confusion, as I though there were no direct buses from theme park to theme park.

(NB. I don't have park hoppers, and I was going to wait until after she finished before "cashing in" my ticket for the day)

Yup! There sure will be! The course heads away from the parks towards WWoS and there is only one lane of the outbound traffic flow taken up by runners. All the parks are open by this point, so while the Marathon is a big deal, avoiding serious transportation interruption for the rest of the guests on-site is the MAIN priority.

There are always busses directly from park-to-park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter