Need Help from DVC experts re: points/cash payments

ep1229

Mouseketeer
I was about to book a cruise using points and cash then they told me that I had to pay everything in full at the time of booking. She also told me that if I wanted, I could book the cruise on my own and then later on, call back and switch it using points. I didn't know this was possible. Has anybody done this? Is there any negatives to doing it this way?

I was about to book a cruise using points and cash then they told me that I had to pay everything in full at the time of booking. She also told me that if I wanted, I could book the cruise on my own and then later on, call back and switch it using points. I didn't know this was possible. Has anybody done this? Is there any negatives to doing it this way?

I did this in January I had booked 1 cabin on points and the other through DCL out of interest when I was speaking to DVC to change my cabin number I asked what the cash rate was and it was $500 pp less than what I was paying, I had the cruise released back to me from the TA and then changed it to DVC a week later and saved $1000 in the process. Don't book with a TA if you plan on doing this I had no intention of changing but the saving was massive and the TA was fine with it.

I have my next cruise booked with points. The negative to this is that everyone will tell you it is not an economical use of your points. Many DVC owners rent their points on the DISboards and get $10-$11 for them and then pay cash. I looked into this and decided it was just too much trouble for me at that time. I didn't have the cash for the cruise but I was short by about 100 points Of course Disney thought of that and allows you to borrow points from your use year 2 years out for cruises. With points I was booked into a 4A for the 5 of us (3 adults, 2 children) and paid the $95 fee in cash. There wasn't any question as to if we are going on this cruise. It's a chance of a lifetime since we are sailing out of San Juan on the Southern Caribbean cruise and my daughter and her family live in PR so no flight costs for them. The difference in points/cash was about $500 if I could have sold them for $10 a point. But I have 3 DVC contracts and it would have involved multiple use years... I decided to just go for it and I'm happy I did and so are my kids. :goodvibes

Hope this helps. Don't you just love the DISboards! Answers immediately with all the pros and cons to help in your decision making.:rotfl2:

I'm thinking this for 2015 12 night Baltic cruise. How late in the game can you switch it to DVC points?

I have my next cruise booked with points. The negative to this is that everyone will tell you it is not an economical use of your points. Many DVC owners rent their points on the DISboards and get $10-$11 for them and then pay cash. I looked into this and decided it was just too much trouble for me at that time. I didn't have the cash for the cruise but I was short by about 100 points Of course Disney thought of that and allows you to borrow points from your use year 2 years out for cruises. With points I was booked into a 4A for the 5 of us (3 adults, 2 children) and paid the $95 fee in cash. There wasn't any question as to if we are going on this cruise. It's a chance of a lifetime since we are sailing out of San Juan on the Southern Caribbean cruise and my daughter and her family live in PR so no flight costs for them. The difference in points/cash was about $500 if I could have sold them for $10 a point. But I have 3 DVC contracts and it would have involved multiple use years... I decided to just go for it and I'm happy I did and so are my kids. :goodvibes

Hope this helps. Don't you just love the DISboards! Answers immediately with all the pros and cons to help in your decision making.:rotfl2:

I know!! I love this board! We have two contracts and it was a challenge trying to use all the points in one cabin and with the borrowing and transferring. It's so confusing. I'm wondering if there's ways around it.

BTW, we just went on a Southern Caribbean cruise out of PR (with RCL) and it was AMAZING!!!! You guys will love it.

We just booked the Northern Europe 7 night cruise, cost us 1112 points and $3500 for 3A2C in category 4A Deluxe Family Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah . I don't care what people say, we use our points for cruises. We did not buy the timeshare to sell the points, We bought the timeshare to use the cruises and go where ever we want.

I did this in January I had booked 1 cabin on points and the other through DCL out of interest when I was speaking to DVC to change my cabin number I asked what the cash rate was and it was $500 pp less than what I was paying, I had the cruise released back to me from the TA and then changed it to DVC a week later and saved $1000 in the process. Don't book with a TA if you plan on doing this I had no intention of changing but the saving was massive and the TA was fine with it.

Could you please explain what you mean by "cash rate"? Do you mean there's a "cash equivalent" for the point value on a cruise that is different than the price available through DCL? (Example: Cruise costs X points or $Y)

Another question - If I book a lower category with points, can I upgrade to a higher level category with cash?

Thank you!!!!

Could you please explain what you mean by "cash rate"? Do you mean there's a "cash equivalent" for the point value on a cruise that is different than the price available through DCL? (Example: Cruise costs X points or $Y)
If you book through DVC, you must use points for at least one passenger. If you want to pay cash for any of the others, DVC has a cash rate that they've negotiated with DCL. That cash rate will not increase if the DCL direct cash rate goes up. You can't mix points and cash for a single passenger. Any cash portion is due in full when the reservation is made.

Another question - If I book a lower category with points, can I upgrade to a higher level category with cash?
You can upgrade at the terminal for cash subject to availability.

One negative to using points for a cruise is if you have to cancel. When you cancel, the returned points can't be used for a DVC Resort Reservation nor a World Collection Exchange. They can only be used for another Disney Collection Reservation or for a Concierge Collection Reservation. The points can't be banked and will expire at the end of the UY in which the cancelled cruise was to take place.

I am a new member in Australia , how did u book the cruise with your points ? I can't find the on-line page to search for availability & booking direct with my points .

Hi Luan Marr. :welcome:to the Disboards!

I'm a DVC member from the UK, and when I've used points to book a cruise, I've had to call Member Services to do this. You can look at the points charts online to work out which cruise you'd like to take and how many points you'll need though. As others have stated there's a $95 fee for using your points this way, which has to be paid at the time of booking.

Last edited:
Hi all. Despite the warnings, I too, booked our cruise with points. lol

Just wanted you all to know that on the cruise point chart it shows the categories but not concierge so I didnt think it was possible to book. But I called DVC and they told me, yes, you can also book your cruise in concierge as long as you have the points.

Happy sailings

Thank you!!!!

Basically, it is exactly as you stated. DVC has a cash price set far in advance with the Cruise Line for every cabin category and sail date. This does not change as prices seen on the DCL web site do. This means the DVC cash price is generally higher to begin with, (close to a rack rate) but may end up being less for a last minute and/or nearly sold out cruise. DVC Member Services can quote you the cash price if you need it. They do require one person in each cabin to be booked with points and if you decide to pay for other occupants at the cash rate, the entire cash amount is due when the reservation is made.

As far as the upgrade goes, the only way you could do as mentioned, would be to try to upgrade at the port on the sail date. When you get to the port, it doesn't matter if you booked with DVC points or paid cash through DCL or DVC. Upgrades at the port are handled, based on availability, on a first come, first served basis.

For DVC, as a travel company, it would be way to complicated to allow someone to book a lower category with points and then upgrade with cash. They would need a whole different set of price tables set up in advance with the cruise line to line out the cash cost to upgrade from category x to every other category on the ship, for every category, for every sail date. I don't see them adding that option.

We will be doing our second Fantasy cruise in March 2016. I booked 1 adult 1 child with points and paid cash for 2nd adult. I had point that I to decide whether to bank or use so we decided to use them and borrow. Paying all cash for this cruise would be close to $8,000 for the 3 of us. We would not be able to do it without the use of points. I made sure to save enough for a day before/after the cruise to stay in a studio. We are also going to WDW for a long weekend in Sept. I don't care about what others say about it being and economically correct use of points, etc.... it works for my family and I like having the flexibility to do so. Everyone travels/uses their point differently! DVC was still one of the best decisions we ever made!

We will be doing our second Fantasy cruise in March 2016. I booked 1 adult 1 child with points and paid cash for 2nd adult. I had point that I to decide whether to bank or use so we decided to use them and borrow. Paying all cash for this cruise would be close to $8,000 for the 3 of us. We would not be able to do it without the use of points. I made sure to save enough for a day before/after the cruise to stay in a studio. We are also going to WDW for a long weekend in Sept. I don't care about what others say about it being and economically correct use of points, etc.... it works for my family and I like having the flexibility to do so. Everyone travels/uses their point differently! DVC was still one of the best decisions we ever made!

Totally agree! We are DCL Platinum Club members and all of our cruises including upcoming west bound Panama Canal, 12 night Baltic, 10 day Med, have been do using points, or points and cash combined. And we usually stay the night before using points at WDW. Love our DVC membership!!

I have done 8 DCLs, all but one on points or points/cash combo.
Included in these 8 DCLs are two family cruises in which we paid for our families other rooms using points.
Our points are paid for, they are ours, and we use them in a method that suits us. I do not like the idea of renting as the potential for damage to a unit and then being charged for it, is too much of a risk for me.

Our last 2 DCL cruises were booked on "GT" rates, so discounted, cash. However, I am seriously considering doing one of the longer cruises using points. If you call within a day or two of leaving the ship, you get a discount on the points required.

Clearly some like to use their points for bookings other that DVC resorts and that is their option.

For the new or potentially new owner reading, using points for bookings other that DVC resorts comes at a price, it isn't guaranteed and it has it's own rules and restrictions.

Disney uses these non-resort possibilities to increase the marketing attractiveness of owning DVC.

:earsboy: Bill

Our last 2 DCL cruises were booked on "GT" rates, so discounted, cash. However, I am seriously considering doing one of the longer cruises using points. If you call within a day or two of leaving the ship, you get a discount on the points required.
You have 7 days from when you disembark to call MS to book a future cruise and receive the points discount. It used to be 3, but they increased it to 7.

I am a new member in Australia , how did u book the cruise with your points ? I can't find the on-line page to search for availability & booking direct with my points .
Hi sorry didn't see this I see others have answered already, I am also from OZ just call you have to book over the phone it's an easy process but if you are paying cash for anyone it's PIF at the time of booking :)
Enjoy your cruise :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter